Why become a member? ×

Oil over stain

Rexel Matador

I'm currently staining a maple top with Crimson Guitars water based cherry red stain. I have two options for the finish - Crimson guitars finishing oil or pure tung oil. I'm tending towards tung oil because it worked quite well on my last build and I would like this very bright stain to be slightly tamed by the tint of the tung oil.

Anyway, the tung oil will need to be thinned and I assume the Crimson Guitars penetrating oil has some kind of solvent in it too. The thing is, I have a sharp edge faux binding type effect on the edge of the top and was just wondering if the oil/solvent is likely to drag the stain onto the bit of the wood I want to keep natural. Or will that not be an issue as long as the stain is good and dry?

I'll try a test run on some scrap but it's always good to pick the collective brain for advice/experience.

Thanks!

It might do - although probably scrapable off with a razor blade if it does. 

Also - although I've never tried it - I've seen people mask unstained areas with a carefully brushed coat of shellac which apparently acts as a decent barrier and which, itself, is easily removed with a blade or fine sandpaper.

• Like 1