Why become a member? ×

Which 4 string neck for a mainly 5 string player

Mykesbass

I've just started playing four string in a project - an all US parts built P bass with a Jazz neck, and am wondering if I should swap to a Precision neck as I found after about four songs my left hand was tiring.

The five string I have is a fretless with a Jazz profile, so I like the shallow but wide feel. Would a deeper )P style) profile help compensate for the lack of width of the four string neck?

Thanks. Mike.

I am comfortable with both Jazz and Precision neck widths, but you me the profile is just as important. My 64 and 61 are both wide but fairly shallow in profile, making them very comfy to play (IMO). At the other end of things, my medium scale Jazz and Precision are both fairly narrow necks, but sufficiently thick to avoid hand cramps.

Ibanez Soundgear necks give my left hand cramps after a minute or so of playing. A real shame because I think they’re otherwise nice looking and nice sounding instruments. 

Just now, Mykesbass said:

Thanks @therealting - so either depth or width should compensate. Better get out there and try a few necks as this skinny Jazz one isn't going to be right for me I feel.

I can’t guarantee it as everyone’s different - I think the key is, as you say, to try lots and see what you find works for you. Try it sitting down, on a strap, playing riffs, fills, etc. Legato for hammer one and pull offs. Different string tensions. Maybe borrow a few from different mates on a gig and see how your hands find playing in anger for a decent amount of time. Some basses I can play for hours and my hands are comfy - others I’m done within 30 seconds. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

As someone who mostly plays 5-string basses (and plays Bass VIs the rest of the time) one of the most comfortable things for me is that the 5-string moves the low E string away from the edge of the neck. This is far more important than any neck profile IMO. 

So am I correct in reading this as you are more comfortable with the low E being your second string in?  Perhaps I should go BEAD as even in this new project (as I don't go particularly high on any of the songs).

56 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

So am I correct in reading this as you are more comfortable with the low E being your second string in?  Perhaps I should go BEAD as even in this new project (as I don't go particularly high on any of the songs).

Yes, I used to find playing patterns across the neck difficult for those that used low E on the 4-string, but once I changed to 5-string they were much easier. I think it is mostly to do with where the string lies in relation to the profile of the neck.

53 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Yes, I used to find playing patterns across the neck difficult for those that used low E on the 4-string, but once I changed to 5-string they were much easier. I think it is mostly to do with where the string lies in relation to the profile of the neck.

I must admit, my muscle memory is pretty much rooted in 5 string, but I have played very little on the 4 so far. Had to think a lot harder, but it was the physical effort that I think is going to be the longer term proble. Thanks for the insight though.