Why become a member? ×

2 hours ago, Buddster said:

Try this 

https://jonstinson.com/the-glynn-johns-three-mic-drum-recording-setup/

Have used it many times, live and studio and works very well. For live the mics will probably be closer than in picture. 

I once was lucky enough to work with Chris Tsangarides and this is exactly how he miked up the drums. He had a length of wood that he put on the snare and at the end, the overhead.

Then he did the same sideways, pointing towards the hi-hat.

I shall start adopting this way, next time I have a drummer that need micing up

Edited by police squad

2 hours ago, police squad said:

He had a length of wood

Rather than taking a piece of 4x2 to a gig, other than crowd control, get the drummer to hold one end of a mic cable in the center of the snare while you sort the distance for the first mic, then keep it there while you do the other one. That way you get the same distance. 

As we're mainly pub sized gigs, generally not huge, there's a bass drum mic but nothing else.

I picked up an inexpensive boundary mic from Studiospares and chuck that on the floor behind the bassdrum and under the snare & hihat and have that as a simple ambient purely for my IEM's which works fine for me - and better than fannying around finding somewhere to site the Zoom H6 to do the same thing. 

16 hours ago, Buddster said:

Rather than taking a piece of 4x2 to a gig, other than crowd control, get the drummer to hold one end of a mic cable in the center of the snare while you sort the distance for the first mic, then keep it there while you do the other one. That way you get the same distance. 

agreed, good idea

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread, but…

I’m in the process of getting molds completed for some 64Audio A6t CIEMs.  I’m going to be wired to my mixer (which is an EAE Stompmix 6).  I’m looking for recommendations on a brick wall limiter for my new CIEM‘s, but I don’t want a software solution - are there any hardware-only solutions?  For such a brick wall limiter, if it can be adjusted, how can I tell if I adjust it properly to not damage my ears? Any recommendations? 

I've had my custom UE6's for almost a few years. When the time comes to order new ones (once the fit becomes loose) it seems there two options...

1. Send back to UE for a service and basic adjustment (£350 and they do not offer reshell) 

2. Order a completely new set

Just interested in what others have done in the instance once they stop fitting 😊

Edited by bassmansam

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

thought I’d post here for a wee bit of help!

my band are using a very basic IEM system (Anleon S2) from our interface. We compromise in that we have a “balanced” mix so everyone hears everything (guitar, bass, vocals, synth and click track). It’s been working well but today at a gig - it went a bit weird…

I was struggling to hear myself, and had my receiver at 100% volume. I use custom ACS Engage monitors. 

im sure I was hearing break up today, cracking and the like. The guitarist has the rack next to him and said he could hear everything fine with no interference or that. 

I’ve found out that the unit likely shouldn’t be used (operating in 670MHz range), so questions…

1) is there anything antenna wise I could do to improve until we get a suitable unit that ofcom would be happy with?

2) any suggestions on a similar unit (stereo in), multiple receivers that work operate in the UK space.

3) we looked into digital units 2.4 and 5ghz. Are these modern applications fairly robust in gig environments? Realise 200 people with iPhones and androids are noisy in the spectrum. Did have a read but wanted to confirm!

Thanks in advance. 

so I have an update on the MI Pro 58 system.

I was making a showreel on wednesday and was using the MIPro system and my wireless sennheiser mic.

The videographer/ soundchap had my tracks playing thru a monitoring system, with my vocals. The very very slight latency in the system made my voice sound like it had 'chorus' on it (which is a delay based effect IIRC)

This isn't a problem live as the PA is normally in front of me and I will continue to use them. I'm about to 'rack' the sender and the Sennheiser receiver to make my setup/teardown easier

the headsup here being, if you have onstage monitoring as well as IEM, you may hear the effect too

Had our first IEM rehearsal yesterday. What a revelation!

We needed a rehearsal to get one our singers, who has been out of action for the last 9 months or so up to speed, but our drummer was unavailable. Luckily, our other singer used to be our drummer. He also uses an Alesis sample pad thing that's possible to configure as a drum kit.  So we had that, our Helixes, keys and vocal mics all routed into our relatively new Allen & Heath CQ18. Basically, the normal gig rig except no drum mics or speakers.

Sounded great. I'd go as far as to say better than great. Rehearsal rooms get notoriously loud with real backline, and earplugs, even good ones, affect the sound. This sounded great. Detailed and clear - just the same as it would at a gig.  I think we might do the same more often.  Just need to bring a couple drum mics and stands for the full kit.

• Like 1

I bought one of those cheap copies, will compare it to the Behringer when it arrives. Was about £13 with tax.

Realised the other day the only spare we don't carry is the IEM belt pack so may come in handy.

Looks like the belt clip part is removable (tool free thumb screw) and there's a proper battery compartment behind it instead of the slide out shell on the Behringer. Might actually prefer that tbh as the batteries can't become dislodged and the belt clip won't move around like on the Behringer..

Sac73fb2ec4ff4743bccaca0f647f6e62h.jpg

Edited by lemmywinks

Can anybody recommend a wired belt pack with a built-in limiter function? I'd like to upgrade my P2 at some point and not had much luck finding anything on the same kind of footprint.

I am probably overly paranoid about sudden spikes as I am often mixing my own feed anyway, but I've been experiencing a sudden and unexplained increase in tinnitus over the last year so I'm wanting to bulletproof my in-ear setup to prevent it getting any worse.

25 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Can anybody recommend a wired belt pack with a built-in limiter function? I'd like to upgrade my P2 at some point and not had much luck finding anything on the same kind of footprint.

I am probably overly paranoid about sudden spikes as I am often mixing my own feed anyway, but I've been experiencing a sudden and unexplained increase in tinnitus over the last year so I'm wanting to bulletproof my in-ear setup to prevent it getting any worse.

What desk are you using? The XR18 has compression for each aux fader and there's also a limiter in the effects which you can apply to your aux feeds.

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

What desk are you using? The XR18 has compression for each aux fader and there's also a limiter in the effects which you can apply to your aux feeds.

XR18 for the shows I'm controlling and already have one on my aux, but I do a fair bunch of festivals and other dates without that kind of control. Luckily the monitor crew are all going to be pros at that level so I'm not as worried, but at 2AM when I'm sat listening to the fridges buzz in my ears I feel like it would be worth the investment just in case! I'd rather spend a bit more money than be constantly paranoid and consequently keeping my monitoring lower than I need.

21 hours ago, borntohang said:

XR18 for the shows I'm controlling and already have one on my aux, but I do a fair bunch of festivals and other dates without that kind of control. Luckily the monitor crew are all going to be pros at that level so I'm not as worried, but at 2AM when I'm sat listening to the fridges buzz in my ears I feel like it would be worth the investment just in case! I'd rather spend a bit more money than be constantly paranoid and consequently keeping my monitoring lower than I need.

Not a belt pack (it's nearly half a kilo) and also not cheap but there's a wired compact headphone amp with a switchable optical limiter here:

https://www.runwayproaudio.com/rolls_pm55p_personal_monitor_amp.htm

4 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Not a belt pack (it's nearly half a kilo) and also not cheap but there's a wired compact headphone amp with a switchable optical limiter here:

https://www.runwayproaudio.com/rolls_pm55p_personal_monitor_amp.htm

That actually looks interesting as I could run a parallel output from my DI and mix from stage, but shame about the size. I also found this, which appears to be very similar to the P2 but with some added bells:

Fischer Amps In-Ear Stick

No details on exactly how the limiting is set, but I might drop them an email.

1 minute ago, borntohang said:

That actually looks interesting as I could run a parallel output from my DI and mix from stage, but shame about the size. I also found this, which appears to be very similar to the P2 but with some added bells:

Fischer Amps In-Ear Stick

No details on exactly how the limiting is set, but I might drop them an email.

Whirlwind do one in a belt pack format, eye wateringly expensive but looks ideal until you realise it's external power only.

7 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Whirlwind do one in a belt pack format, eye wateringly expensive but looks ideal until you realise it's external power only.

Assuming you mean the PW-1? That looks great but yes, shame about external power. I actually do a couple of keys gigs that I wouldn't hate it for as it could just sit on my rig and I'm not dancing around, but even phantom would have been a better option.

Ok guys, you probably tested more things than I did, so I had Shure 215, thez were really good, but then I got KZ ZS10 Pro X.

But they just have too much highs and I really can get used to it....

What would you recommend for really nice bass sound without high harshness.

Thanks

1 minute ago, gorandelac said:

Ok guys, you probably tested more things than I did, so I had Shure 215, thez were really good, but then I got KZ ZS10 Pro X.

But they just have too much highs and I really can get used to it....

What would you recommend for really nice bass sound without high harshness.

Thanks

I didn’t like hem either. Switched to Sennheiser IE100 pro (and then IE400 pro). 

To my ears these are closer to my headphones, but with a slightly more pronounced bass bump (so not a muddy low end as such). I felt they added a smoother quality to the sound. Not as open as the KZZ but the high end is more comfortable.