Why become a member? ×

Olympic white or Vintage white?

orangepeelneil

[size=3]Hello Everyone,

I've a query about Fender colours from 70's P basses, which someone may be able to answer.Its my favorite with a maple neck and black scratch plate

Mike Mills from REM and Colin Greenwood from Radiohead (and Thom York borrowing it) both player lovely 70's P basses in a shade of fender yellow you don't see much of these days .

Is the fender colour vintage white or olympic white which has yellowed?

I have an old 80's Maple necked Fender P bass I plan to get refinished in this colour soon.

Regards Neil
[/size]

[quote name='Clarky' post='388039' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:28 PM']I believe its Olympic white which has mellowed with age. I had a CIJ 70 RI P-bass from the 1990s (sold to jonthebass) which had gone a creamy shade but had originally started off as Olympic white.[/quote]

Agreed - my CIJ 70s P has done exactly the same.

Just one thought - was Vintage White actually a vintage Fender Colour? I always assumed it was actually a colour created for re-issues, meant to look like Olympic White which had yellowed (if that makes sense?!)

[quote name='simon1964' post='388091' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:28 PM']Agreed - my CIJ 70s P has done exactly the same.

Just one thought - was Vintage White actually a vintage Fender Colour? I always assumed it was actually a colour created for re-issues, meant to look like Olympic White which had yellowed (if that makes sense?!)[/quote]

Exactly. The two whites Fender had in their catalogues in the 70's were Olympic White and just plain White. Arctic White came along in 80/81, and Vintage White first appeared in 1982 on the Fullerton Reissues.