It's one thing to complain, but when you're driving me insane
Well then, I think it's time that we took a break"

"I can't sit back and wonder why
It took so long for this to die
And I hate it when you fake it
You can't hide it, you might as well embrace it
So believe me, it's not easy
It seems that something's telling me"

Still, at least it isn't every step you take!

:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Good song for a wedding -

"Seems like each time I'm with you, I lose my mind
Because I'm bending over backwards to relate
It's one thing to complain, but when you're driving me insane
Well then, I think it's time that we took a break"

"I can't sit back and wonder why
It took so long for this to die
And I hate it when you fake it
You can't hide it, you might as well embrace it
So believe me, it's not easy
It seems that something's telling me"

Still, at least it isn't every step you take!

:D

I know right? Bride and groom actually requested it!  Not your usual wedding set list

We're working up a few new numbers ready for our next gig in 3 weeks. I'm happy enough with them, just hope we manage to punch them in to our rhythm guitarist in time! 

California Man (vaguely based on the original by The Move, with guitar and harmonica substituting for keys and sax!)

Showdown (ELO, minus the strings)

Tumblin' Dice (Stones)

A couple of new ones for next month’s gig, The Night by Frankie Valli & Co and Start by The Jam, neither of which were chosen by me. The band knows how to keep the bass player happy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

couple of new ones for next month’s gig, The Night by Frankie Valli & Co

This was featured in BBC Proms Northern Soul on Sunday night, still on iPlayer. 
Great bassline and song! 

Fire and Water isn't a particularly difficult song to earn the bass for.

BUT

If anyone is remotely interested... there's an error on (the original) guitar solo for Fire and Water. It's 31 bars long plus a 2 bar drum break. It should be 32 bars, but after bar 17 it goes back to B a bar early. Which is really annoying me, as otherwise all the bass bits are neat figures alternating between two bars on B and two on E.

99 Red Ballons. 

The part's not difficult, but with no keyboards I'm doing the low E drone at the start (swell peadal + high sustain), bass/lead synth intro and the bass normal part. So lots of pedal jumping between sounds, which I'm not used to doing. 

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks, I didn’t know that version, quite different to the one I learned 

This is the version we are currently doing, our new vocalist wanted to do a rockier version of the song, he suggested the FM version, I still prefer this one, but was out voted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We’re learning Black Hole Sun - we’re playing a wedding and the bride is an enormous Grunge/Seattle scene fan.

I’m legitimately concerned about blubbing when I play it. Chris Cornell is such an idol of mine. Going to try to convince our singist to let me have the line ‘No One Sings Like You Anymore’ 😛

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not complex, but the 'proper' bassline to Pride and Joy. I've winged it a few times, but the original is a fun walk that ocassionally steps in unexpected directions.

Oddly enough I was just listening  to a recording of "Pride and Joy" that I did a few months ago.  I agree it's a lot of fun. In the OG he does make sure he uses a lot of the neck as I recall. I didn't learn the original line, but I did enjoy walking around with it. 

• Like 1

I've just found out that we need to play 'Tempted' by Squeeze at our pub gig tonight with the acoustic duo.

I absolutely love this song but strangely enough have never played it. The original is in 'B' I believe, but

due to vocal constraints we are doing it in 'A'. Just had a listen and glad I have time to run through it -

one of those songs that sounds simple enough but (like a lot of Difford&Tilbrook songs) has some 

interesting chord progressions. Great bassline too by local lad Jon Bentley.

Hopefully it should be okay - if it goes down well then we can do it more regularly.

I've had a couple of years off playing with any sort of regularity or learning anything, but now I'm back into it. 

First up.... Distant Early Warning by Rush. So far so good... dexterity is coming back fairly quickly.

• Like 1