Why become a member? ×

On the hunt for a new bass

thumbo

I'm looking for a new bass and I need something that ticks these boxes:

P + J pickups
Completely passive p-ups/electronics
24 Fret neck

I'd quite like something vintage but it's not essential. It's fat passive tone with clear highs that I'm after, possibly something that contains a fair bit of maple. Not bothered about weight, ideally don't want to spend more than £1000 but I could go to £1500.

Suggestions please ;)

The other option I have is sticking some nice passive pickups in my Warwick Streamer but I'm interested to see what basschatters have to suggest.

[quote name='thumbo' post='390306' date='Jan 24 2009, 12:08 PM']I'm looking for a new bass and I need something that ticks these boxes:

P + J pickups
24 Fret neck

I'd quite like something vintage but it's not essential. It's fat passive tone with clear highs that I'm after, possibly something that contains a fair bit of maple. Not bothered about weight, ideally don't want to spend more than £1000 but I could go to £1500.

Suggestions please ;)

The other option I have is sticking some nice passive pickups in my Warwick Streamer but I'm interested to see what basschatters have to suggest.[/quote]

TBH as I read through your thread the bass that came instantly to mind was a Streamer Stage I with something like 'Wizards' slapped in... then I got to the bottom line of your text. :P

Seriously I think there is only one bass that will fit your criteria; you already own it and the 'upgrade' will cost you £100. Go for it. :)

[quote name='thumbo' post='390306' date='Jan 24 2009, 12:08 PM']I'm looking for a new bass and I need something that ticks these boxes:

P + J pickups
24 Fret neck

Suggestions please ;)

The other option I have is sticking some nice passive pickups in my Warwick Streamer but I'm interested to see what basschatters have to suggest.[/quote]

The world is your oyster with that kind of budget these days.. Only problem is, the range of choices you have available to you which could be a bit mind-boggling..

If I had that budget, I'd be looking at something like Sandberg, ACG or Shuker custom builds or a s/h Lakland or Sadowsky perhaps. Might be worth going to Bass Direct or somewhere like it which will have a wide range of hi-end basses for you to try?

Good luck with it! :P

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='390320' date='Jan 24 2009, 12:33 PM']TBH as I read through your thread the bass that came instantly to mind was a Streamer Stage I with something like 'Wizards' slapped in... then I got to the bottom line of your text. :)

Seriously I think there is only one bass that will fit your criteria; you already own it and the 'upgrade' will cost you £100. Go for it. :huh:[/quote]

It's very tempting! I've got GAS for a new toy though. If I don't find anything that takes my fancy I'll almost definitely go down the Wizard route in my Streamer.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='390327' date='Jan 24 2009, 12:38 PM']The world is your oyster with that kind of budget these days.. Only problem is, the range of choices you have available to you which could be a bit mind-boggling..

If I had that budget, I'd be looking at something like Sandberg, ACG or Shuker custom builds or a s/h Lakland or Sadowsky perhaps. Might be worth going to Bass Direct or somewhere like it which will have a wide range of hi-end basses for you to try?

Good luck with it! ;)[/quote]

ooh Shuker! Now that's a nice idea. I always loved my 5 string Shuker Jazz, I just didn't get on with 5 strings. Perhaps an email to Jon is in order :P