Why become a member? ×

Mad idea #376 Making a Hohner B2A short scale?

Paul S

Someone please shoot me down quickly.  I quite fancy the idea of a short scale headless bodiless bass a la Hohner B2A.  I can see it might be easy to 'just' saw off the neck at approx. the first two frets and put the end thingamebob back on.  But what about the truss rod?  That I imagine makes it a no go - but does it? 

The Kramer Duke is generally a better bass, especially where the hardware and electrics are concerned. However if you can find a Hondo Alien cheap enough to be worth upgrading then it can come very close it in quality. 

There are two things to watch.

1. There are quite a few Hondo Aliens that are being passed off as Kramer Dukes. The earliest way to tell them apart is the neck joint. The Duke has the standard Kramer 2-bolt attachment with a lozenge-shaped plate which includes the serial number. The Alien has a 4-bolt neck plate attachment. Also the Duke has a single bolt string retainer whereas the Alien has two bolts.

2. Not all Hondo Aliens have an aluminium neck. All Kramer Dukes do. If you prefer the feel of the all-wooden neck the Alien might be a better choice if you can find a wooden-necked one.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Get a Hohner and tune down, put a capo on the second fret. Thank me later...have a beer while Contemplating all the unnecessary exertion I’ve saved you...

Not a very elegant solution, though, is it.  Nor does it do much to cure the slight GAS build up... :)

Maybe get a cheap Bronco and attack it with a saw!  😃 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Doing some reading... calling @alyctes you still have both an Alien and a Duke?  If you have the time, sir, how would you say they stacked up against each other?

I've not owned a Kramer Duke, but I have owned other Kramer basses - 450B long scale and XKB-10 short scale - and a Hondo Alien, and IMO apart form the completely rubbish hardware (bridge and machine heads) on the Alien it compared very well. Once I'd swapped them for proper Schaller components it was a very usable compact bass with a perfectly good sound.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I've not owned a Kramer Duke, but I have owned other Kramer basses - 450B long scale and XKB-10 short scale - and a Hondo Alien, and IMO apart form the completely rubbish hardware (bridge and machine heads) on the Alien it compared very well. Once I'd swapped them for proper Schaller components it was a very usable compact bass with a perfectly good sound.

I would agree, though I've barely played the Alien.  The Duke makes an interesting noise; to my ears it sounds more like an electric stepped down an octave than a "conventional" bass guitar.

13 hours ago, alyctes said:

I would agree, though I've barely played the Alien.  The Duke makes an interesting noise; to my ears it sounds more like an electric stepped down an octave than a "conventional" bass guitar.

That's pretty much how my Hondo Alien sounded, particularly once I'd replaced the horrible bridge with a proper Schaller one. Plenty of clarity and a piano-y sound with round-wound strings - very suitable for post-punk bass lines.

• Like 1