Why become a member? ×

John East Uni-Pre 3-Knob - hubba bubba

NancyJohnson

For Christmas, my wife was kind enough to swing for a John East preamp; I knew it was going on one of my Lulls and ultimately decided it was going on the five string.

The bass was fairly lively beforehand, but man alive, the instrument has come alive.  Considering the money I shelled out for the bass, I profess to being a bit miffed that the control cavity wasn't shielded already (not that this caused any issue previously), so I had to wait for the arrival of some copper tape before fitting (Top tip: much to my chagrin, the tape is identical to the stuff we use for keeping slugs off our planters, so get it from a garden centre if you need any).

I had a bass previously that had a J-Retro on it and all was well with that, so really no point in looking elsewhere really.  Only nervous moment was having to drill the body for the active/passive switch.  It's a wonderful bit of kit, I can cut and boost the tone, sweep me mids etc.  Lovely.  Highly recommended.

20200104_122301.jpg

• Like 2