Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

Listening to hospital trolley by I Roy yesterday I immediately recognised the intro from Java by Augustus Pablo which is among one of my favourite tracks and Basslines by him 

Which led me to this, which I think is the original, but there’s been so many versions I can’t be 100% , I think Fully Fullwood was the bass player on this 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pablo and Chin recorded "Java" (1972) together, as soon as Pablo quit Now Generation and Clive was able to obtain studio time. This instrumental was a massive hit and launched Pablo's solo career. He recorded with Chin and others including Lee Perry and Chin's uncle, Leonard Chin.

Wikipedia

😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Raslee said:

Loving playing this B-line with my reformed reggae band, great dub version too: 

Thanks for that one, nice rhythm and bassline, I’ll give that a go tomorrow 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I'm sure this is a version of 'I'm Coming Home', which I thought was by Ray Charles, but apparently not - any ideas ?

😎

Good tune, I quite like the skatalites, on the Christine website it says,It was a ska version of Comin  home baby a song written by Ben Tucker and first recorded by the Dave Bailey Quintet in 1961

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Thanks, that put me on the right track, it was Mel Torme  in 1962 ...........

😎

Cool,

I might have to explore the skatalites a bit more, Lloyd Brevett was a great player and I think he had something to do with the Melodians too, I remember reading somewhere that they recorded at Randys ,which must have been in the really early days , but ill have to check that

• Like 1

Had a good listen to the Ganja Man album by Linval Thompson today  there’s 10 tracks and 5 dub versions on it , I’ll be learning a few of the basslines in the next few weeks, it’s well worth a listen,

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Had a good listen to the Ganja Man album by Linval Thompson today  there’s 10 tracks and 5 dub versions on it , I’ll be learning a few of the basslines in the next few weeks, it’s well worth a listen,

Class track :)

• Thanks 1