Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

My son sent me this on Spotify but I found it here, I’m sure you’ll remember Black Slate, good tune really liking the Bassline 

and I’ve been going through all of Channel One sound system videos lately ,and Luc As has some great ones on his channel if you like that kind of stuff 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I posted a picture of the rig I was using for a reggae gig last weekend on a facebook group and one of the bassists there suggested that for reggae I should put the mic in the speaker port. Now that is not something I have ever thought of doing on these BF or my previous Mesa boogie cabs. My understanding is that bass ports are tuned ports so i think sending that signal to the PA would possibly be void of frequencies that are needed for a decent FOH sound.

I haven't ever had any complaints about my sound so i have no desire to try his suggestion. I just wondered if anyone here has an experienced view on this. 

As it happened, the sound guy would not take the signal from anything but direct off the bass into his DI box before my preamp. The pic below is from a different gig but just added to show the cab.

IMG_1849_WBigTwin.thumb.JPG.af6a4b88f0e681bdbf640b40ff351dd1.JPG

You might get some better answers posting in the amps and cabs section - there are some very knowledgeable builders active over there such as @Bill Fitzmaurice.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I haven't ever had any complaints about my sound so i have no desire to try his suggestion. I just wondered if anyone here has an experienced view on this

Sorry jazzy I’ve no experience of this either so I can’t really help you there, great rig my friend 

22 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

You might get some better answers posting in the amps and cabs section - there are some very knowledgeable builders active over there such as @Bill Fitzmaurice.

Good point. I will see if I can transfer this to and remove this one from here.

• Like 1

A Black Uhuru day today. Found a CD from my archives. No autotune, no hundreds of overdubs, just brilliant music. Will play it again tomorrow.

Edited by itu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am I the last person on this site to see the Bob Marley Movie 'One Love' (albeit I couldn't see a thread for it here).  I saw it at an open air movie theatre in Switzerland with sub-titles in French and German.  These helped a little with the trickier bits of patois :) I have always liked Reggae, but never really got into it.  This movie made me curious and has made me think a lot more about how it's played and the relative role (and sound) of the instruments.  Any other thoughts (or threads) out there?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Am I the last person on this site to see the Bob Marley Movie 'One Love' (albeit I couldn't see a thread for it here).  I saw it at an open air movie theatre in Switzerland with sub-titles in French and German.  These helped a little with the trickier bits of patois :) I have always liked Reggae, but never really got into it.  This movie made me curious and has made me think a lot more about how it's played and the relative role (and sound) of the instruments.  Any other thoughts (or threads) out there?

No, still not seen it but want to.

Talking of subtitles, I remember Channel 4 showed Jimmy Cliff's The Harder they Come as one of their opening week big films, showing that they were going to be diverse, anti-establisment and edgy. The watered down subtitles were hilarious!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I saw it not long after it came out and to be honest I wasn’t expecting much, but I was quite surprised how good it was, I already knew quite a lot about him but the attention to detail of the storyline was really good, even down to Aston Barrett’s jazz bass, I’d definitely watch it again 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

has made me think a lot more about how it's played and the relative role (and sound) of the instruments.  Any other thoughts (or threads) out there

Hi Piers, for me and pretty much in general the bass is the key and upfront instrument together with the drums (check out sly and Robbie),  I can recommend having a look at Don Chandler’s videos if you haven’t seen them , he’s played with many of the top reggae artists over the years and gives some very good advice for all levels of players, he breaks down some nice basslines too, he’s the first person I contact when I need to know something, you can also download the backing tracks and tab sometimes if you look in the descriptions, I’ll put a video up to show you his channel 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I saw it not long after it came out and to be honest I wasn’t expecting much, but I was quite surprised how good it was, I already knew quite a lot about him but the attention to detail of the storyline was really good, even down to Aston Barrett’s jazz bass, I’d definitely watch it again 

Just check the Eq settings on his Acoustic top....I was impressed by the attention to detail :)

• Like 1