Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

6 minutes ago, Pulsebeat said:

Got tickets today to see Steel Pulse

Of all the people I’ve seen I don’t think I’ve seen steel Pulse before, I was at reggae sunsplash in 84 but don’t remember them being there, very good band, it should be good 

• Like 1

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Of all the people I’ve seen I don’t think I’ve seen steel Pulse before, I was at reggae sunsplash in 84 but don’t remember them being there, very good band, it should be good 

Judging by their set at Glastonbury this year, I think so 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Joining a reggae band next week.

I’m quite envious. The Mod/Ska/‘60s band I’m in, indulge in some reggae-esque tunes. It’s always fun when we do.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Joining a reggae band next week. Currently learning a bit of Bob M.

Good work!

A lot of Aston Barrett's basslines are deceptively tricky. I've been going through 'I Shot The Sheriff' tonight and needed a listen through this video to get down the timing and subtle changes that go on throughout (and reassure me that it isn't my Bass that's out of tune!) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

Joining a reggae band next week. Currently learning a bit of Bob M.

Nice one stew, some of Aston Barrett’s basslines are just superb, good luck, what’s the band called 

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice one stew, some of Aston Barrett’s basslines are just superb, good luck, what’s the band called 

Sovereign Reggae. It's a new start up so I'm proceeding with caution. The last reggae band I joined was 'reggae' in name only. I know it's a broad genre, but I have my tastes and the set list didn't mirror them so I bailed.

However the band leader agreed with me and so set up this iteration with a more rootsy direction. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Hoping for a repeat (Sky Arts) at a slightly earlier hour (having to get up too early for these midnight finishes...) but this looks like a great watch. Winston Reid's voice sounds magnificent!

It is being shown shown again, sadly it's at 0100 on Thursday 24 October. 

• Like 1

This is from the soundtrack of "The Apple". The notes say that George Clinton was involved in writing the lyrics and arranging it while Wikipedia says "Coby Recht said recording the film's reggae number 'How To Be a Master' was complicated due to actual Jamaican musicians performing on the song and not being able to 'read the charts' that were in English." Bass line is legit.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, skilamalink said:

This is from the soundtrack of "The Apple". The notes say that George Clinton was involved in writing the lyrics and arranging it while Wikipedia says "Coby Recht said recording the film's reggae number 'How To Be a Master' was complicated due to actual Jamaican musicians performing on the song and not being able to 'read the charts' that were in English." Bass line is legit.

That’s a new one on me, never heard that before