Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

16 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

😎

Great one, I can’t be sure but I think mr Boss man was one of the first tunes I heard by Linval Thompson, would have been around 1980 ish , probably on Rodigan or Tony Williams reggae show 

• Like 2

Learning songs for upcoming rehearsals and this is on the list. I know all the others but hadn't heard this before. Unashamedly derivative of Robert Nesta, but a nice tune nonetheless

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Learning songs for upcoming rehearsals and this is on the list. I know all the others but hadn't heard this before. Unashamedly derivative of Robert Nesta, but a nice tune nonetheless

Lovely song stew, I follow Glen Browne, you might find this interesting 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/10/2024 at 22:09, Reggaebass said:

Nice one mr B, I’ve nearly bought that a few times , let me know how you get on if you would, I’m on this one at the moment 

IMG_1745.jpeg

Interesting and to a degree sobering read to this point.

The good points. I want to go and listen to do much music I’m unaware existed, and will be doing so. 

The less good? Anyone who at the same time (mid to late 70s) loved reggae, who also - being a longhair - had to endure the ever present threat of walking around a corner guitar in hand to be confronted by a bunch of skinheads (I took several beatings, one quite serious), and who struggled at the time and ever since to understand the fact that the very same skinheads also loved this same music, will find several sections of this book both enlightening and - in terms of the actions of some music business people at the time in essentially hiding the ethnicity of the performers to increase sales and build a white market for reggae - disappointing in equal measure. Certainly, and whilst recognising it was far from reggae, how I view the Two-Tone artists/label/era have shifted hugely. I think I’m going to give it some thought and start a separate thread 🤔

But back to the glorious music which is what this thread is about. Gonna listen to some of this tonight 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1