Why become a member? ×

fender mustang

bassmansky

No, not really...but sort of...
It has the short scale, and indeed a split pickup. What it really is, is the first Fender bass to be made in the wake of a guitar, using the same name or design, a la Gibson. They'd only done that in the vaguest way before, in that the original Precision looked vaguely Tele-ish, the the later P looked vaguely Strat-ish, then the Jazz Bass looked vaguely like (but actually probably was) part of the Jazzmaster family.

So the answer is no. Ish...

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='394998' date='Jan 29 2009, 10:02 PM']My CIJ one is my no 1 gigging bass. It sounds deeper & punchier than my precisons (all using TI flats - the 'tang has a 32" set), but I really love it for the super slim neck and excellent playability.[/quote]
thats interesting to know that its deeper and punchier than a p-bass,sounds good!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='394998' date='Jan 29 2009, 10:02 PM']My CIJ one is my no 1 gigging bass. It sounds deeper & punchier than my precisons (all using TI flats - the 'tang has a 32" set), but I really love it for the super slim neck and excellent playability.[/quote]

+1

I tried a CIJ Mustang a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping for a new bass and was thoroughly impressed by the excellent sound. Coupled with the light weight and short scale it, was tremendous fun to play, and you can pick them up for about £400 new too - bargain!

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='395392' date='Jan 30 2009, 01:46 PM']...and you can pick them up for about £400 new too - bargain![/quote]
Shame they don't import the california blue ones though ;)

I think mine looks alright in vintage white with with aged pearl pickguard though. I didn't like the original tort pg much.

[attachment=19417:mikeys_mustang.JPG]

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='395531' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:32 PM']Shame they don't import the california blue ones though ;)

I think mine looks alright in vintage white with with aged pearl pickguard though. I didn't like the original tort pg much.

[attachment=19417:mikeys_mustang.JPG][/quote]
not much choice of colours, red or vintage white!bet the blue ones look good,i would go for the white one over the red as yours JLP looks cool.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='395531' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:32 PM']Shame they don't import the california blue ones though ;)

[attachment=19417:mikeys_mustang.JPG][/quote]

I don't like the Fender tortoise shell PGs, they look cheap, like a tort design printed onto a scratchplate. I reckon if the stock plate was replaced with a proper celluloid one, it'd look the mutt's nuts.

That said, your's looks purdy with the aged pearl JLP

tryed one out this afternoon and thought it was ok but not for me unfortunately,so it looks like a squier cv 60's p-bass is the one i shall be having when i get round to it!pmt had the mustang priced at £499 which i thought was a bit much considering the squier is £259 and is imo vfm!

[quote name='bassmansky' post='397205' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:26 PM']tryed one out this afternoon and thought it was ok but not for me unfortunately,so it looks like a squier cv 60's p-bass is the one i shall be having when i get round to it!pmt had the mustang priced at £499 which i thought was a bit much considering the squier is £259 and is imo vfm![/quote]

I tried both and thought the complete opposite. I thought the Squier was really heavy even for a P, and thought it felt rather cheap. I may just have picked up a bad one though.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='398071' date='Feb 2 2009, 04:48 PM']I tried both and thought the complete opposite. I thought the Squier was really heavy even for a P, and thought it felt rather cheap. I may just have picked up a bad one though.[/quote]
unless i picked a good one!prices gone up again on the squier at pmt now £299!not such vfm!i also had a short play on a mexican p and it was alot better than the last one i tryed,so it seems no two are the same!