Why become a member? ×

Band image

saibuster

[quote name='saibuster' post='403267' date='Feb 8 2009, 11:08 AM']Hey guys thanks for your replies! Going to use these points on our next band meeting and do a little brain storming.

Did any band ever used prison uniform? (you know black and white strips, boots... )

I could even have one of these big old round weights around my leg, good excuse not having to jump around![/quote]

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='403639' date='Feb 8 2009, 06:51 PM']That's been done. I remember Henry Rollins doin' it on the Jools Holland show few years back[/quote]

Not to mention the old slipknot style, which is more of a modern orange jump suit style than the classic stripy uniform like your idea. There's also the option of the suits with the arrows on them.

And yeah i agree with the fact that too many bands seem to angle too much towards having a gimmick. I remember i saw a band at the ringside and all the band members apart from the singer had knitted bobble hats with earmuff things on. They just looked silly and the songs were pretty terrible. Not to mention the band didn't even try to interact with us lot, just tell us the song name and play making them pretty boring to watch, too. Really it's better to concentrate on playing and the image will come to you. Like the band name, they're very often not pre planned and they come about from a random event or idea some time.

[quote name='saibuster' post='403061' date='Feb 7 2009, 09:31 PM']Now here is the thing, we are playing hard rock, or melodic metal, what ever you want to call it, none of us is into
indie or any of the more mainstream rock that is happening at the moment. This also means, we are not going to
wear the current rocks uniform (black skinny jeans, insanely tight worn out t-shirt, big glam curly hair).

This puts us in a problematic area, how can we deliver a contemporary image that fits our music without looking dated or skinny?

If it was up to us, we would all wear a plain t-shirt and straight jeans, but its obvious that this would reduce our chance to win.[/quote]

Don't waste money on figuring it out - but do put some thought into it!

What is the coolest possible look you can think of for a band you'd go to see playing your style of music? Once you've thought of it, go with it 100%.

Plain t-shirts and straight jeans are a bit 80s' Eddie Van Halen/Metallica. If that's what you want, then do it.

Two things you can't do are: 1. look whacky/goofy; 2. look like you can't be arsed.

+1 to most of the above ....

Whatever you do make sure you look like you thought about it and you mean it.

Unlike a normal band you will almost certainly be grilled on all aspects of your presentation by the judges, and on telly too, so you will need to be able to justify your clothes decisions.

Remember to practice being interviewed, brain storm all the questions they may ask and prepare answers, preferably smart, witty, entertaining but not challenging, answers ...

Watch the presentation and interview sections for each of teh bands on every edition of previous programmes you can get your hands on and make notes of all of the questions ant he answers, look out for the ones where the judges rip the band up - you should have answers for every one of teh previous questions and variations of the theme.

Whether its full on zombie or jeans and tee shirts, you still have an "image" and when they ask "so how did you come up with your image?" you need a good answer

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that image isn't just about the clothes you wear. It might be an idea to video some rehearsals to get an idea of what you all look like from the audiences perspective. If the rehearsal room you use isn't that big you'll probably have to book yourselves into a bigger room - there are places that are mirrored but I've found it's a bit weird looking at yourself play in a mirror. ;) It's well worth thinking about how you use the space on a larger stage as well.

interesting reading this, our genre is slightly different but the same rules apply.
we dont have an image and generally our onstage persona is just not there.
but how do you take that step from being onstage playing to being a bit more of a show? i dont mean the full on running round the stage like lunatics just more interesting to watch

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='404179' date='Feb 9 2009, 12:14 PM']interesting reading this, our genre is slightly different but the same rules apply.
but how do you take that step from being onstage playing to being a bit more of a show? i dont mean the full on running round the stage like lunatics just more interesting to watch[/quote]

Try and interact with your audience more. Nothing is more boring a singer who only actually talks to announce the next song name and maybe says "thanks guys" at the end of the show. After all, the interaction is why people have come to see a band live, if they just wanted to hear a bunch of songs being played they'd have stayed at home and listened to their ipods. Also when you play don't just look like statues standing there, no need to go absolutely mental but interact with the other guys in your band and just generally try to look like you're not concentrating too hard and you're just enjoying the music. If you ARE concentrating too hard, then PRACTICE!

Edited by EdwardHimself

Whats the prize in the competition??

To be honest, i would highly recommend avoiding any of the silly suggestions of dressing in weird/unique clothes as i doubt it will do you any favours!

Whatever you do, don't wear black!

You'll be on a black stage, with a black backdrop and if your wearing a black top you'll just blend into the backdrop.

Don't wear old led sep, ac/dc shirts, don't let the drummer take his top off, don't let the drummer wear a vest etc etc....

Whether you like it or not, just try and look trendy ;)

[quote name='Eight' post='404392' date='Feb 9 2009, 03:39 PM']A trendy melodic metal band!?! What has the world come to!!! ;)[/quote]

Well it would be a statement ...

Who were those US guitar rockers on Jools a while back in suits and horn rimmed glasses? That was memorable - well except for their name, obviously :P

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='404238' date='Feb 9 2009, 12:56 PM']Try and interact with your audience more. Nothing is more boring a singer who only actually talks to announce the next song name and maybe says "thanks guys" at the end of the show.[/quote]

Not necessarily. Mark E Smith is the coolest singer (granted, 'singer' might not be exactly the right word...'frontman' then) I've ever seen and he usually wastes few words between songs.

Singers that prattle on spouting their opinions on politics and the environment while the bass player looks embarassed are the worst. And if I want someone to ask me if I'm feeling allright I'll go and see my GP.

Suits. A selection of suits can't go wrong. You can find some cool stuff out there that looks good and is a bit different. Not all the same style or colour suits either.
Some good tee shirt action underneath. Look for something unusual not obvious and not a naff slogan, or all the same.
And the main thing, some damn fine footwear. I have some silver pointers that always get attention, that and they look feckin awesome too!

Oh and do summat with yer hair too. You don't want to be on stage with a "work hairdo".. You're there to entertain and look a bit special. Doesn't mean glueing the one with the longest hair all up into a huge single point above his head though!

Like it was said earlier, don't go looking like a joke/comedy band.

[quote name='bremen' post='404475' date='Feb 9 2009, 04:42 PM']Not necessarily. Mark E Smith is the coolest singer (granted, 'singer' might not be exactly the right word...'frontman' then) I've ever seen and he usually wastes few words between songs.

Singers that prattle on spouting their opinions on politics and the environment while the bass player looks embarassed are the worst. And if I want someone to ask me if I'm feeling allright I'll go and see my GP.[/quote]

Okay well it's not just what you say in between songs it's also about how you behave whilst playing the songs, you want to get the crowd going, not just let them stand there.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='404179' date='Feb 9 2009, 12:14 PM']interesting reading this, our genre is slightly different but the same rules apply.
but how do you take that step from being onstage playing to being a bit more of a show? i dont mean the full on running round the stage like lunatics just more interesting to watch[/quote]

+1 for what Edward said ..
Plus

Plan and practice your stage show....

Eh? yup anathema to a lot of young bands in black skinny jeans playing rock who believe that their guitarists fabulous triplets in bar 17 will be enough, well they are really fabulous, no, really they are and the 26 guitarists in the audience will love them. The rest of the audience will appreciate a bit of a show... Heck the guitarists might even enjoy it too, especially if you project the image of a band having a lot of fun....

Now the poor ol' singers get lumbered with the "front person" duties cos they have the mic and everyone is looking at them but guess what? It's a different skill to singing and doesn't come naturally to some people so they have to learn how to do it! Yup! it's a learned skill!. That means anyone can do it ... and they rest of you can help.
Here's how:

If your front person is rubbish at those talky links between tunes you have a few options: you can write the links, practice them and work on it 'til he delivers them well - yep just like your mate's guitar solos..... or you can plan your set so there's no talky bits for him to deliver.

Option C, and the best, is to use both techniques in teh same set, keep the talky bits to a minimum and practice them.

That is: you roll straight our of one tune into the next. No waiting for teh guitarist to tune or change guitars, no keyboard button pushing, and no looking around for the last person to be ready before the intro clicks start ...

This needs you to plan things so that there is time for the keyboard person to switch patches during the big end of the previous tune or during the intro to the next one - ditto for guitar changes and whatever.

The other thing to do is to [i]Never ever[/i] talk over silence. Just dial it out of your set. Listen to a radio DJ and you'll find they nearly always have something goin on behind them. That's the result you want but with the intro to the next tune or a part of it. It adds tension, anticipation, and makes the actual start much more effective.
Examples are a key or guitar wash or a bass drum beat then when ready the front man can yell "one two three four" and the tune begins properly.

Get a copy of Thin Lizzie alive and dangerous .. OK so that's an audience that's paid to see them but there's some good ideas and techniques

For more ideas, get out and see the bands who play around your area - all genres - especially the ones with big followings, stay sober and take notes.. What do they do that communicates with the audience? Do what you do with your music - be "influenced" ... ;)

Then rehearse setup as if you are on stage rather than in a circle. Then you can rehearse your non-visual cues. So many band rehears in a circle with eye contact and then fall over when the drummer is behind everyone , can't hear the vocals and has to take cues off the singers backside. Worse the singer has to turn around d look atteh keyboard player for his cues cos that's how they do it in the rehearsal stuio...
Rehearse set up as if you are on stage you can spot where you need audible cues and build in the cues you need in a live stuation. Better still rehearse on a stage with lights, PA and everything.
Ask an honest friend to check your stage show , video every show and rehearsal and review it.

Always [i]play to the audience[/i]. Band member inter lay is fun and it's good to watch for a bit but staring at your laces, fretboard, the drummers bass drum foot or the stage is not good.
Make a point of looking up and out at the audience (or lights at the back of the hall) at least twice per verse. If you can't play stuff without looking then practice 'til you can.
Your singer and any lead players should be playing directly to the audience and not at you or anyone else in the band.

Then work on it...

You should always treat the audience to the best show you can. Even if there's just 10 people in the room. They are the ones that bothered to come and see you and they will tell their mates. If you play a half hearted show like fed up people 'cos only 10 people came to see you, that's how they will describe you if they bother to tell their mates about you at all but "wow there were only 10 people there but what a show, you all really missed out" will work wonders for your next gig audience size.

Edited by OldGit

Apart from saying that OG is right I'd just add that you should exaggerate everything you do onstage:
if you're going to move around, move around just that bit more than you think is necessary;
if you're going to stay still, don't move at all - try to look like you're in a trance - there can normally only be one guy in the band who can get away with this, and usually it doesn't work;
if you and a couple of the other guys are going to stare each other out, do it with as much intensity and make as much of a show of it as you can;
if you want things to look effortless and easy, make them look effortless and easy;
if you want to put your foot up on the monitor and point to your cock with one hand while playing a solo with hammer-ons with the other hand, then do it 100%!

Edited by The Funk

"If it was up to us, we would all wear a plain t-shirt and straight jeans"

wear that.

buy some nice hats.

new era hats are going down well.

a lot of the metal hardcore/ metal bands round our way seem to be doing the "scenecore" thing.

hi top bright coloured nikes, new era hats, sports jackets, skinny jeans and metal band t shirts... stretch your ear lobes too.

naa. t shirt and jeans.

Another thing to do with image that seems to be coming up a lot is how you act...

2 of the vocalists in my band have a fake fight in the middle of one of our songs, our trombone players usually on top of my amp if he can get to it, the horns are all doing a little synchronised to/from the mic kinda thing, hitting the cymbals with their saxs, grabbing extra sticks and joining in on the drums...

just make a game of it.

then again. probably wont suit your band...

Edited by Crikey!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='403162' date='Feb 8 2009, 02:15 AM']Basically, this is a function of 'marketing' So look at your market.

1) Check out up and coming bands in the same genre - what are they wearing? What does your (target) audience wear? Now spin a variation on it. Maybe bigger, more flamboyant.[/quote]

Totally spot on.

You could of course wear those shapeless t-shirts and jeans and call yourselves "The Primarks". That could work. Otherwise, do what the skankdelvar and the old git suggest.

One thing I would add, if you think your lyrics say what the band is about, you will find they won't for nearly all the audience. They will take the odd chorus hook and interpret it they way they want, even substituting words by accident. You need to say what your band is about visually, especially early on in your career.

Edited by silddx

I think [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=40590&view=findpost&p=404514"]Old Git[/url] & [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=40590&view=findpost&p=404605"]The Funk[/url] sum it up rather nicely, especially the video yourself bit [OG] - you may be surprised how lame you look, so exagerate it [TF] - it may feel daft, but it looks better.

Audience interplay is invaluable too, but don't take the piss -'Scream for me Stockton-on-Tees', 'Good evening Havant', etc.

Edited by johnnylager