Why become a member? ×

Alien encounter

Paul S

There was a small discussion recently about the possibility of a short scale, headless bodiless bass.  The Kramer Duke/Hondo Alien was flagged and Mike @alyctes agreed to sell me his for next to nothing :)  It arrived and I liked the compactness of it , in fact most everything about it was nice, but found the tinny sound it made fairly unagreeable.

A couple of weeks ago I found myself with a spare Entwistle P bass style pickup so thought it might be worthy a try getting it fitted into the little Alien.  I handed it over to my ever indulgent pal and luthier Leighton Jennings to see what he could come up with and this was the result that I just collected this morning.

IMG_20200310_123029.thumb.jpg.b4bc536facb638d6db34d889c0e8ae85.jpgIMG_20200310_123056.thumb.jpg.d8059d7c9b4a0e9c69cb446826a0302b.jpg

Leighton did a proper set up, frets needed a levelling etc, new flat strings.  The paint finish was a little brittle around the edges so he made a little bezel which works just fine.  However, to my astonishment the P pickup sounds totally amazing.  The original was weak and still is - I'll not bother using it, just leave it there to fill the hole, but gosh the P pickup has some balls.  Gone is the weak tinny sound.  There is a richer, darker tone about it yet still a little of the bite that I guess comes from the ali neck.  I would gig this, no doubt about it.  So - would a headless, bodiless short scale bass work?  Yes.   

25 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Thats an interesting mod. I've got one of these somewhere which needs some TLC. Do you mind me asking what strings you put on it? I have Status half-rounds on mine but they seem to have a bit too much tension.

Good question.  They were lying about out of the original packaging but I 'think' they are La Bellas - black silks at both ends and quite  tapered at the tuner end so they fit into those tiny little tuners just fine.  Short scale, obvs. :)  

Ohhhh, now there's a coincidence - I was just scouting around EBay for something like this to take on a holiday I've got booked, plus something to use for jam nights for the easiest possible load-in.

I did some gigs in Italy a while back and borrowed a FrankenSteinberger thingy, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would...

And a P pickup improves everything... 😁

37 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'm guessing the tinny sound was the original strings, probably steel roundwounds. The flats would have fixed that straight off the bat. The neodymium pickups are a nice addition nonetheless. 👍

Nope.  I put flats on as a first move, it just sounded tinny and flat :) And when I select the rear pickup it is the same as it was, so now fairly redundant.

36 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Ohhhh, now there's a coincidence - I was just scouting around EBay for something like this to take on a holiday I've got booked, plus something to use for jam nights for the easiest possible load-in.

I did some gigs in Italy a while back and borrowed a FrankenSteinberger thingy, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would...

And a P pickup improves everything... 😁

Well, for my old ears, yes.  I've had several of the Hohners - a B2, more than a couple of B2As, some with the drop D facility, a B2V but the one I liked the most was the B2B which was passive with a bolt-on neck and P/J pickups.  Like an idiot I sold it but for what I want to hear it was the pick of the bunch - much more organic kind of tone compared to the EMGs.  This actually doesn't sound a million miles away but with the added bonus of being short scale.

22 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Nope.  I put flats on as a first move, it just sounded tinny and flat :) And when I select the rear pickup it is the same as it was, so now fairly redundant.

What's your definition of "tinny" as I associate it as sounding thin and metallic? Not two words I'd ever link to flatwounds.

This has prompted me to dig mine out and give it a clean. The action's not as bad as I remembered, it plays OK all the way up the neck although it could be a bit lower, and the tension isn't that bad.

There don't seem to be many ready replacements for the pickup, that don't require a router. A Seymour Duncan NYC neck would just fit but these are very expensive and hard to find.

What do people reckon to buying a couple of Entwistle Jazz Pickups, cutting off some of the mounting loops and sticking them together back-to-back?