Why become a member? ×

Thank you basschat....

LukeFRC

I just looked around my room and realised how much I appreciated this site and all the lovely folk on it.
Allow me the indulgence of telling you my bass-story....

When I was 17 to skive out of something else I should have been doing I went and hung in school with some folk who were playing music. It was a random college elective and full of folk who didn't really want to play the same music. One day the bass player exasperated got fet up, walked out handing me his 6 string peavey. He showed me how to play 7 nation army and left me to it. Later a friend let me play his early Thumb bass.
I realised that i could actually learn this instrument so went out and borrowed a friend of a freind of a freind's bass which had been used in a tech project and a amp.
First things first was making the thing playable. Ih ad to learn to set up a bass before i could learn to play it.
That summer i messed around on it and saved money.

My first bass was the active 2pu version of a Status Shark which I picked up new for 450. I took this to uni and played it loads, for the first 6 months unamplified using the wall cavities to amplify what i could. I was convinced to play at church and went straight from practicing at home to CDs too playing with a band infront of 80 folk with no practices. Looking back thats a fair jump, from never playing with other people to having to click with a drummer and a whole band... but im fairly confident.

A year or so later me and a coursemate form a band to get out of doing work (or something like that) with toy keyboard and the organic sounding warm bass tones the shark made. As the band got bigger with other instruments I felt I wanted a stronger 'bass' sound as the warm shark just got lost in the mix. Looking around I really wanted a old JV squier as something about the story of them appealed to me. I ended up getting a Fender CIJ '57 P bass second hand through far east guitars, it was brilliant and my main bass for 5 years as we toured scotland in the band. (futuristic retro champions the FRC of my name even though Im not in the band anymore)
It went round in a gig bag in the bottom of the megabus sometimes!

Then I found bass chat.
My love of that first warwick I had played meant I really was partial to a warwick. When I saw warwickhunt selling, or not selling, old bluey I suddenly realised a decent warwick was affordable. I sold the status through the Statii forum (at a price that meant I only lost £10 per year I had had it) and got a lovely old Streamer Stage one and had the pleasure of meeting John who drove all the way up from his for a day out with the missis and a spot of bass selling! What a legend.
I then decided to build a fretless and thanks to bass chat put together my random green (and still not quite finished) fretless for about £100.

Then the last few months I picked up that wierd thing with 6 strings (1987 takamine en10) off guizibass.
I then saw my dream bass come up for sale, sold the P bass for not too much less than I paid for it, tried to sell the warwick which I still can't get on with the tone off.
And bought a lovely early fender logoed JV p bass off of Stevie. (who is another legend).
Where the 2001 P bass sounded like a great P bass the JV just oozes class. It is amazingly well put together and the tone is amazing. It is the exact same tone that you hear on records, not just a good P bass tone but 'that' P bass tone. Fantastic.
I get to play it live next week too! ;)

Anyway thats me bass-satisfied* and pleased with you lot on basschat
thanks!

Luke

*unless you have something amazing to swap a SS1 for :P