Why become a member? ×

Status Hot Wires

niceguyhomer

I played Monz' excellent Ray 5 at the Yorkshire Bass Bash and really liked the Status Hot Wire Strings he'd fitted. I've just been on the website to order some and noticed there's two types - round core and hex core. Can anyone give me any insight / opinions about which I should buy?

Ta very glad.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Heh, it was me that told him to try the HotWires. I'm not exactly sure of the difference, to be honest. I always go for the rounds as I like a bright and zingy sound. To give you an idea of how long they can last, I've just done a week of the Boogie Nights stage show. That's at total of about 18 hours' playing for the show over the whole week & I played the same bass again today for a showcase for promoters & they still sound really bright. I put the new strings on for the band call as the show started last Sunday.

Just read up on the Status website that the hex cores give a bright sound with the feel of a traditional round wound string. Hmmm... Can't tell you much more.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='417839' date='Feb 23 2009, 08:53 PM']LOL! No, I always use the 30-90's on my Status basses - Makes them furiously fast to play, but with no loss of tone at all.[/quote]

MB1. ;)
Do you not find theres too much give, in the string for fast fingerstyle, due to the strings gauge and lightness?.

• 4 years later...

Thread resurrection!
I've just bought the roundcores for my W&T and flats for my P. these are great strings, incredibly clear with nice tension. The rounds are quite different to the cobalts they replaced, maybe more 'even' in the mids, rather than the low mid emphasis of the cobalts. Great customer service too