Why become a member? ×

Lakland Guitars- what nice people!!

Old Horse Murphy

I have just taken delivery of a Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline in Lake Placid Blue and decided that I wanted to install the stack pots on it as per the US model.

A quick email to Lakland resulted in a return email within 5 minutes (no joke) from Dan Lakin himself. A day later I get another email sent over with the wiring diagram and price including postage.

After speaking to Kirk at Lakland today and paying by credit card, it has been posted and should be with me early next week.

I am seriously impressed and must spread the gospel of how professional and quick they have been.

Nice one guys ;)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

A week later and the stacked knobs arrived the same day as the new black pickguard I ordered from Jeannie's.

A bit of solder later and it's all in place. The stacked knobs add so much more variety that the VVT set up on Fender Jazz basses. I'm not sure why they changed the set up as to me, it works a lot better.

Anyway, here's a before and after comparison.

ooooh you beauty-i have nearly exactly the same bass + 1 string, 5 string JO in Lake placid blue...probably the best 5 string bass i've ever played-a lifer for sure me thinks - i often have impure thoughts about selling/trading my USA 75RI Fender Jazz 4 to get either a JO 4 or The DJ4...hmmmm-must repent!
Good luck with JO buddy ;)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Clarky' post='421323' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:00 PM']Hey Nick, looks good! So - famous last words - have you finally got the bass collection you want - a Ricky, Shuker 5 and a Jazz?

I am settled now with a US P and a US J but, if I won the lottery (;)) I would be after a Ricky and a Shuker Burnel[/quote]

I think so Clarky but don't quote me :P Like most people in this current economic climate it's time for this Old Horse to be a bit more sensible than before.

Now if I won the lottery too, things may change.....I particularly like the look of these Bob Glaub 5 stringers.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='421279' date='Feb 27 2009, 07:43 PM']A week later and the stacked knobs arrived the same day as the new black pickguard I ordered from Jeannie's.

A bit of solder later and it's all in place. The stacked knobs add so much more variety that the VVT set up on Fender Jazz basses. I'm not sure why they changed the set up as to me, it works a lot better.[/quote]
Very nice.

How much did Lakland charge for the stack knob set?

[quote name='Rasta' post='421298' date='Feb 27 2009, 08:07 PM']ooooh you beauty-i have nearly exactly the same bass + 1 string, 5 string JO in Lake placid blue...probably the best 5 string bass i've ever played-a lifer for sure me thinks - i often have impure thoughts about selling/trading my USA 75RI Fender Jazz 4 to get either a JO 4 or The DJ4...hmmmm-must repent!
Good luck with JO buddy :rolleyes:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-3360-1235765247_thumb.jpg"]http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2...65247_thumb.jpg[/url][/quote]

Nice shirt Lee - what is it about bass players, always the most stylish person in the band :)

Edited by molan

I bought a natural US JO4 from Birdy before Christmas and it had an Aguilar preamp fitted to it... 18v electronics and all that.. but it also came with the orginal stack knobs. I'm not much into active and only really ever use the bass passive... Wondering whether to go back to how the bass was originally??? Your bass certainly looks lovely and simple. Beautiful!

[quote name='molan' post='422459' date='Mar 1 2009, 05:01 PM']Nice shirt Lee - what is it about bass players, always the most stylish person in the band :rolleyes:[/quote]
Cheers buddy, covered two genre's in one dress which was appropriate as i played in a dub band & later a funk band at the same festival....so naturally i chose a Marley T-Shirt with a Bootsy shirt over the top ......and star shaped sunglasses with a rasta hat! :D ;) :lol: (Funky Kingston?)
Thank god for Cornish hedonism thats all i can say, however i must learn how to play one day and not get soooo wrecked and wear freaky clothes...still its a nice bass innit :) !

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the Lakland service... both Mr Lakin and Kirk are simply outstanding.

I was passing through Chicago last year and so, so wanted to visit... but with only an hour at O'Hare and having mislaid my bottomless wallet...

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='421279' date='Feb 27 2009, 07:43 PM']I'm not sure why they changed the set up as to me, it works a lot better.[/quote]

Apparently, the sound was better, but the output was reduced compared to the VVT. The prototypes actually had the VVT setup, so it was obviously a bit of a toss-up between the two systems...

[quote name='Telebass' post='431745' date='Mar 11 2009, 06:09 PM']Apparently, the sound was better, but the output was reduced compared to the VVT. The prototypes actually had the VVT setup, so it was obviously a bit of a toss-up between the two systems...[/quote]

It must be possible to wire stacked pots with the x2 volumes on one pot and the x2 tones on the other... Yes / No? It just makes more sense to be able to turn the 2 volumes up/down simultaneously or am I the only one that uses the volume control to make 'swells'? It's the reason that I've changed v/v/t on Jazz basses in the past to v/pan/t, potentially not as versatile as a pair of independent vol but suits my playing so much more.

Just an observation, not a dig at anyone else's preference. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='431773' date='Mar 11 2009, 06:37 PM']It must be possible to wire stacked pots with the x2 volumes on one pot and the x2 tones on the other... Yes / No? It just makes more sense to be able to turn the 2 volumes up/down simultaneously or am I the only one that uses the volume control to make 'swells'? It's the reason that I've changed v/v/t on Jazz basses in the past to v/pan/t, potentially not as versatile as a pair of independent vol but suits my playing so much more.

Just an observation, not a dig at anyone else's preference. :)[/quote]

Yes it would be easy to wire any twin pick-up bass like that. Just need pots with the right values. If you can't buy the correct stacked pots then you can make them by swapping the resistive tracks from other pots.