Why become a member? ×

How much for a refin '78 Jazz?

molan

I've had a tentative trade offer of a nice looking refin '78 ash bodied Fender J bass in LP blue with maple board. It has original body, neck, tuners, bridge, bridge cover, control plate & case.

Has relatively new custom wound pickups & currently fitted with an Audere pre, nice looking after market pick guard & LQ Badass bridge.

Approx trade value would be about £1,200 which seems Ok to me but not sure if the refin etc. would mean that £1,200 is the max it would be worth or wether it ought to fetch more.

If I go for it then I wouldn't be looking to sell just thought I might try to hang on to a nice older J for a while just to play around on at home ;)

Difficult to say really Barrie...... If it's a real player and a tone monster it might be well worth £1200, Fenders of this period do vary so much....

Shooting from the Hip...... £1200 for a refin with non original pups seems a little on the high side, not sure how you factor in the pre-amp.... is it another non original bit of kit for the purist to grumble about or a tasteful mod to a nice bass.... ?

Bottom line is, as ever..... if you like it, you've got to decide what it's worth.

Anyhow..... thought you were Mr. 5 String these days ;)

ATB

Mark

Thanks Mark,

That's pretty much what I thought. It's 'supposed' to play really nicely and the nck looks prefect with very little wear.

It's currently residing in the USA so may all be a little bit too much potential risk.

I could take cash on the bass I'm selling but there's maybe £100 potential gain if I went for a trade which is what got me interested, lol.

[quote name='molan' post='415876' date='Feb 20 2009, 11:31 PM']I've had a tentative trade offer of a nice looking.............[/quote]

£1200 just for looks? - if it was nice looking [i]and [/i]nice playing then IMHO it's still the nice side of £1k.