Why become a member? ×

NBD... Well now a week!

P-Belly Evans

These bad boys have been reviewed here before so I will keep it short (ish). A month ago got really ill (I'd put all my instruments on Covid19). Horrid for 2 weeks...... got better, got Gas, ordered this at a very reasonable price.... and it came in two days. Lovely thing. A couple of issues, though. One pickup wouldn't raise on one side - easy fix, and there is a tiny blemish in the finish but can only be seen in direct sun. Had to raise the pickups a bit and one of the saddles. What can I say, it is a beast, especially with a pick (check AWB cut the cake on Soul Train for an idea) . Now I don't often use a pick but will I ever with this thing. The tone is sublime when you roll off a little treble. The neck is fatter than my jazz and thunderbird,  more comparible to my P but with vintage frets, not the jumbos. I tried to string it with a set of long scale flats.... didn't go well, the E snapped and turned into a slinky😭. So still has the rounds on for the time being. Anyhoo Gas cured for a little while.  Hooray

IMG_20200407_120223.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah forgot to mention that🙄🍷. It's the Vintera. Neck is kinda different to all my other basses. It feels slightly wider at the neck than the jazz but maybe a bit less than my P - and I think it is definitely slimmer than the JMJ. It's a bit rounder and fatter front to back though. They say it's a sixties profile. I say not quite a baseball bat, but chunkier than I am used to. However, it has been such a grower in the week I have had it. Lovely with a pick, great for fingers too, but I would prefer to play something like  rhythm stick with my jazz if that makes sense.