Why become a member? ×

Shaftesbury Rick copy

usergnome

Hi back in 1980 the coolest looking local bass player I knew had a shafty. Now by1984 I had a 4001, still have it,still love it. But for old time’s sake I’m still looking for a Shaftesbury copy. Is there anybody out there? Can anybody hear me? Help ....

Good afternoon, UG , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

You should be made aware that this forum is a 'Ric-free' forum, for legal reasons. There may be someone who can help, but it'll have to be by PM (Personal Message...), as trading, buying, selling Ric or Ric copies are out of bounds, and any such posts will be deleted and warnings given.
The bassist, Trevor, with one of my first groups, back in the late '60s, played a Shaftesbury Ric copy, and it was darned good, especially for the price back then, so I would agree that they're worthy instruments. Not on this forum, though, will you find such a thing, sorry.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, usergnome said:

wow thanks for that!!!!! does that mean we can't even talk about bickenrackers?

Chat about 'em is welcomed, but no pictures of Fakers, nor commerce. They're fine guitars and basses (albeit a bit 'Marmite' for some,or even anathema...); the current ruling stems from threatened (but credible...) pursuit in the courts of law from trademark holders. To avoid all risk, all real or copy Ric stuff is verboten in The Marketplace. :|

:crigon_04:... to the forum @usergnome

There is an abundance of stuff about Fakers and spare parts for Fakers here on BC. The search function is your friend but here's a few steers:

Old (up to March 2017) Rickenfaker thread here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/270-rickenfakers/#comments

New Rickenfaker thread (from March 2017) here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/305932-the-all-new-rickenfaker-thread/?tab=comments

Old thread annoyingly devoid of pix because of 2017 forum platform change which basically blew up all the old links, etc, no one to blame, least said soonest mended.

New thread - though not heavily visited these days because people seem to have fanned out into threads about specific stuff - has pix, as do subject-specific threads like this one here from February 

No reference to this shadowy sub-species of bass guitar would be complete without a respeckful tip o' the hat to BC member @Bassassinwho possesses an encyclopedic knowledge of fakers, their care and their nourishment.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

The thru-neck Shaftys are one of the better Ric copies; there is a thriving 'fakers community.

My selection:

o3rKQEh.jpg

L-R:

• Shaftesbury 3263 (made by Eko) semi; it's claim to fame is there's a picture of Wyman playing on in The Stones.
  • Vorg Matsumoku bolt-on neck 34" scale 70's; I call it "avocadoglo".
  • A headless doubleneck with Ric copy pickups on the bass.
  • My Rickenberger (real Ric pickups on a Steinberger).
  • A CMI thru-neck, contemporary with the Shaftesbury and other brands.
  • A recent Retrovibe Renegade, labelled "Red Baron" on the TRC and now sporting a Malteot Seymour Duncan pickups.

The 70's Japanese ones seemed to be produced at a number of factories, the most famous being Matsumoku, and have logos applied for customer orders; thus it is possible to have identical instruments with different names on the TRCs.

Facebook is the best place to go and @Bassassin is the person who knows the most about vintage fakers here on BC.

• Like 1