Why become a member? ×

P bass pickup advice needed...

gafbass02

Hey all here's the deal. I'm working on a relic p bass project and need a pickup, but i have a rather demanding list of needs!..it has to be aged in appearence, it can't be too hot I don't wanna overdrive my wireless. It's gotta be passive, it's gotta have excellent noise rejection esp the kinda noise that dimmers give off.. My house is terrible for this!!
I want a big, sledgehammer p bass sound kinda like the green day 'american idiot' type sound, but that I can roll back for a more funk/disco vibe.
Oh and it's gotta be pretty cheap!
I was looking at the wizard trad but searching on here didn't bring up much about it, most people seem to go for the thumper which sounds like it might be too retro and wooley sounding to me? I've read similar things about the expensive antiquity 2. I don't want a Motown thud, more a grind!
What do people think of the trad? I've emailed wizard but Andy isn't sure he can help. I'm Hoping they can do me an aged underwound one but I'm new to p basses and don't know what's good. Apparently the mike dirnt bass has fender custom shop 59 pickups which I can't find and I'm sure wouldn't be able to afford lol!
But the trad is only £50 which is a nice price lol!
The current pickup is ok, but slightly too hollow for me, also I notice that when I play the p bass the red light ony Samson bass wireless lights up, but there is no audible distortion. Adjusting the level didn't really help, and it's fine with my other basses, should I care less about the light if all sounds fine? Andy figures that if the orignal is too hot then his really will be .
Thoughts??

Edited by gafbass02