Why become a member? ×

Calling P - bass owners...

carlsim

6 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

🙈

So the APB-1 has a fixed pre-amp in the pick up and works with a passive tone knob as per any other passive P bass. You have no control over any other aspect - it is not an ‘active’ preamp where by you have 2-3 band EQ etc.

The original APB-1 has a fixed pre-amp which had 3 settings that you flicked a switch on the pick up to select and again worked with a passive tone knob. The majority of people mainly used 1 setting so they fixed the newer generation ones as this.

Pick up ‘x’ which is passive is wound a specific way for more Mids, treble etc. Whatever and works with a passive tone knob.

How are those 2 different practically speaking aside from one needs a battery to work?

If you are talking about a pick up with an additional onboard active pre amp to sculpt the sound vs a passive pick up then yes - you don’t compare and that is not what I said to compare.

My HW One is pretty much as Fender made it with the honourable exception of the pickguard which is cheap replacement item sprayed matt black for added stealth (apart from band sticker).  I recorded some samples of it to compare with my '66 P and it did very nicely so Greasebucket is fine too.

869037259_HWOne002.thumb.jpg.ba7d41417cbb431bee359f11d2479736.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 1