Why become a member? ×

Luthier for custom build recommendations (I've seen the thread above)

BadHands

Hi all!

Long time lurker. I'm looking for recommendations for luthiers for a custom bass that I designed 12 years ago and am finally in a position to look into seriously. I've seen the sticky-luthier-list, but out of the 6 or 7 I've clicked on, none actually build instruments, and those that do only seem to offer variations on their own designs.

Originally my plan was to get hold of a 4 string Pedulla Rapture bass (I adore the design and a "Fast" neck), and change almost everything about it apart from the shape of the bass and the neck. I'm talking new pickups + preamp (and routing), changing the bridge to string through (and drilling), complete respray of the body and headstock, and depending on what I could source, probably a new pickguard. 

I realised that if I can find a luthier I can trust, I can probably have it built from scratch perfectly to my spec for a similar price, so..

Who would you recommend that offers a range of different options for building that you would recommend? I'm willing to have work done from different places if needsbe(Such as neck and body made by one luthier, and finished and wired elsewhere), but would this be considered disrespectful? I don't want to waste anyone's time; but I've got a bunch of specs that I don't want to compromise on, but have to think of the price. Also, location is a big one as I'm based near Birmingham, and would have to think of getting there to try whatever instruments they have, and shipping/collecting factoring in to the total price.

ANY advice/help/sarcastic remarks would be appreciated!

How similar to a Pedulla Rapture shape do you find the Shuker Uberhorn or horn shapes?  Or Sei Bass Original . They are in the same ballpark to my eyes.
Sei is in London, and Shuker in the north Peak District. 

Both good Luthiers and people  someone you can trust too in terms of being an established luthiers who knows their stuff.  I'm sure you've read the threads on here and Talkbass where people have got their dream custom build and had it made and it hasn't been what they expected. Sticking with established maker's and variants of their designs hopefully could cut down on the risk of it not working out. 
Of course if you want a 50 inch fan fret with strings on both sides of the neck or something they are less likely to be interested, but it doesn't sound like what you've planned is super crazy? 

On 08/05/2020 at 07:47, LukeFRC said:

How similar to a Pedulla Rapture shape do you find the Shuker Uberhorn or horn shapes?  Or Sei Bass Original . They are in the same ballpark to my eyes.
Sei is in London, and Shuker in the north Peak District. 

Both good Luthiers and people  someone you can trust too in terms of being an established luthiers who knows their stuff.  I'm sure you've read the threads on here and Talkbass where people have got their dream custom build and had it made and it hasn't been what they expected. Sticking with established maker's and variants of their designs hopefully could cut down on the risk of it not working out. 
Of course if you want a 50 inch fan fret with strings on both sides of the neck or something they are less likely to be interested, but it doesn't sound like what you've planned is super crazy? 

Absolutely.

I've got a Pedulla Rapture 5 string now that I bought to have all the work done to it, but I just don't play the 5-string enough, and I've been struggling to find a 4-string Rapture, which is why I'm looking into a full build. I'll end up selling the Rapture to part fund this project. 

But in short it really is an all or nothing thing, as I know the look, sound and playability I like. That not-being-what-they-expected thing is actually the reason I held off on having it built from scratch, as I know what a Rapture neck feels like, it's just the hardware and finish I want changing. The only problem is, finding a 4 string is difficult, and it might actually be cheaper to have it built from the ground up!