Why become a member? ×

Soapbars...

AFAICS if you want active you are limited to offerings from either MEC or EMG.

However unlike guitar pickups where "soapbox" has a definite meaning - fat wound single coil in the style of the Gibson P90, when it comes to bass soapbar pickups it's simply a description of the form factor and there could be absolutely anything (that will fit) lurking under the covers.

BTW what makes a pickup aggressive? High output? Upper mids EQ hump? Both of which IME can be achieved at the amp irrespective of the pickup.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

BTW what makes a pickup aggressive? High output? Upper mids EQ hump? Both of which IME can be achieved at the amp irrespective of the pickup.

I seem to remember a few years back - and this may have been a company like Seymour Duncan - used to have a table online of the tonal characteristics you may expect from each pickup.  By aggressive, I suppose I'd be looking at pickups that are reasonably hot, that they are not vocied to ponk or some too dubby, like you say, it is possible to dial in tone via you amp (or processing).  To lift a quote from elsewhere, I'm looking for a brighter/more aggressive sound, rather than a warmer sound with more mids or a more open/passive tone with increased headroom.

It may also be the case that I could just stick with the pickups as they are (Spector SSD Design) and just stick a John East system in it.