Why become a member? ×

Help identifying this Status... Part 2...she's here

P-Belly Evans

I finally picked up the Status that was gathering dust at a mates house today. Quick clean..... taking the strings off is a right faff (specially when you have no idea😀). Proper low action, plays like a dream... even though she has the widest 4 string neck known to man! have a few questions and really need some expert help though. 

1. As some twonk has painted the hardware black, is there any way to remove it without damaging the brass. I know you can put stuff in boiling water (slow cooker for example), but can't do that with the string clamp?

2. As I have no access to a new pot, solder or iron at the mo, could I glue something to the sheared off pot in order to turn it, as a quick fix? 

3. What does each pot control..... sorry I have no idea. One controls the overall volume, but I can't work out the others... individual pickups, tone? Doesn't help that one is busted off. 

4. What the f is the little pot? Looks like decoration to me. Not attatched to anything inside, and doesn't turn without catching the input socket wiring.

5. If it is decoration, then should there  be a passive/active switch, as when I take the batteries out......... silence. As I said previously I have no experience with active electronics.

Many thanks in advance for your collective wisdom 👍

IMG_20200604_170140.thumb.jpg.7a569ab490540237b0a6133d54ed98c4.jpg

IMG_20200604_170113.jpg

IMG_20200604_170434.jpg

IMG_20200604_170133.jpg

I stand by my earlier assessment: S2000. 

The small knob looks added. Many of these, depending on year, had a tiny switch in approximately that position, sometimes with a red status LED next to it, so this may replace a switch but not sure.

Your best bet would be contacting Rob Green or Dawn at Status and sending them the photo's and the serial number (at the end of the head clamp). He also does amazing work restoring old Status basses, someone in the Statii group on Facebook just had an S2000 restored and it looks absolutely like new! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I stand by my earlier assessment: S2000. 

The small knob looks added. Many of these, depending on year, had a tiny switch in approximately that position, sometimes with a red status LED next to it, so this may replace a switch but not sure.

Your best bet would be contacting Rob Green or Dawn at Status and sending them the photo's and the serial number (at the end of the head clamp). He also does amazing work restoring old Status basses, someone in the Statii group on Facebook just had an S2000 restored and it looks absolutely like new! 

Cheers for the heads up, really appreciated. I have been doing some digging and it is, I believe, an S2000 from around 1990. I have seen the brochure and I don't believe it should have the switch and led, so again, what that redundant little pot is for is beyond me. It has the optional extra offered on that model of the red coloured carbon weave (I'll try to capture it in photo) - £48 extra in 1990. It looks really cool in the sunlight. The sheared off pot is the pick up blend, so don't know where that is set. All I know is that with the two tone pots up full, it sounds huuuge at the bottom end and like a bunch of giant hornets coming at you at the top end. It's is like nothing I own so am loving it. 

• Like 2