Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass YouTubers ..

Gonzo192

1 minute ago, rushbo said:

Another vote for Constantine Isslamow

I’m in this guy’s camp. Not only is he a great player……he doesn’t fill the time with endless opinions and comments. Just gets on with it.

Don’t get me started on Scott Devine!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

That'll be the chappy that taught me how to play Africa by Toto (and that Washburns were okay) - Cover Solutions. 

Strangely I added this yesterday to my playlist to learn, it was one of my dads favourite songs 

2 hours ago, rushbo said:

...but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Danny Sapko. He's a great player and combines self-deprecation with humour. He's got his own shtick, but he balances it nicely with some gorgeous bass work. 

Great player. But I find his "comedy Brummie" schtick tiresome and unfunny. Same reason I have no time for Davie, despite him being a good player. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Russ said:

Great player. But I find his "comedy Brummie" schtick tiresome and unfunny. Same reason I have no time for Davie, despite him being a good player. 

I always thought that he was going for the "comedy Yorkshire" thing!

I see him in the local pub from time to time. Nice guy, but very short! 

Edited by peteb

I think it's important to recognise the distinction between different content creators. Some play so you can watch; others play so you can watch and learn. Some show and review gear and others primarily talk about gear.

Then there are the teachers - music teachers, bass teachers, and those that do both. 

The rarest breed are the teachers who are great players/players who are great teachers; I'm not talking, in the immortal words of Flea, 'all flash and no smash', but the rounded players who also have a gift for teaching.

The two that I really admire are Richie Blake and Dan Hawkins.

• Like 1

I was killing a few minutes on you tube a few days ago and this video of Efi B playing Nightbirds by Shakatak came up, I was mesmerised .................by her technique, I mean..........................................really image.png.cc12735aa9839a5298985ba6bce63993.png

"Hey again, it's Mark here from TalkingBass" is my all time favourite online teacher. No nonsense, only useful stuff, and I am a fan of the deadpan presentation. Teaches technique, approach, and specific basslines as well, dissecting everything into consumable little steps.

• Like 1

Eric Blackmon is solid - mainly guitar, but all the right chords, and inversions, and slow enough to follow it for the likes of me.

If your guitarist needs help to learn something, try this YouTube channel 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2024 at 11:30, peteb said:

I always thought that he was going for the "comedy Yorkshire" thing!

I see him in the local pub from time to time. Nice guy, but very short! 

Always thought he sounded more Midlands than Yorkshire. :) Although the "BEHS" thing does suggest Yorkshire! 

EDIT: Bradford, apparently. I stand corrected. :D 

Edited by Russ

• 5 weeks later...

Every now and then I re-listen to the handful of bass covers posted ten years by a very young Jordan Balssa, as he makes my ideal tone:

The bass, btw, is a G&L L1500 - pickup in the Stingray spot, passive cut-only treble and bass controls.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just bought myself a bass (about 2 months ago) thinking it looked like the most fun way of trying to stave off dementia as I plummet into middle age. Loving it so far but I was going through various Youtubers to see how best to start with it. Then someone suggested I pick a song that I like the bassline to and find a tutorial an learn from there. I settled on Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick and found the video below. In retrospect it's probably a bit too advanced for my first go at 'music' but it's definitely a fun journey. 

I thought I'd hit a goldmine with this guy but unfortunately there isn't too much on his channel that's as good as this for someone who wants to learn a specific tune. He has plenty of good stuff but I was hoping he'd have a hundred songs to learn in the same style ready and waiting for me to get into. Unfair of me really as it must have taken ages to go through the one song like this. Better ears than mine might tell me he's not that good but he sounds excellent to me.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, lotte said:

I've only just bought myself a bass (about 2 months ago) thinking it looked like the most fun way of trying to stave off dementia as I plummet into middle age. Loving it so far but I was going through various Youtubers to see how best to start with it. Then someone suggested I pick a song that I like the bassline to and find a tutorial an learn from there. I settled on Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick and found the video below. In retrospect it's probably a bit too advanced for my first go at 'music' but it's definitely a fun journey. 

I thought I'd hit a goldmine with this guy but unfortunately there isn't too much on his channel that's as good as this for someone who wants to learn a specific tune. He has plenty of good stuff but I was hoping he'd have a hundred songs to learn in the same style ready and waiting for me to get into. Unfair of me really as it must have taken ages to go through the one song like this. Better ears than mine might tell me he's not that good but he sounds excellent to me.

Scott is a great teacher imo and it’s worth checking out his blues videos, they are very good, he’s also a member here although doesn’t post very often, I found rhythm stick very challenging, I’ve been trying to play it since 1982 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lotte said:

Nah don`t worry, Scott is good! :D

• Like 2

@lotte  Congrats on your new bass and hobby.  

Starting out learning 'Hit Me with your Rhythm Stick'. Is like jumping in a Formula One car for you first driving lesson.  'Seven Nation Army' by the White Stripes or something by Snow Patrol might be a bit easier.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2024 at 19:22, PaulThePlug said:

Julia 'Thomamn' Hofer... 👍

Patrick 'Gurning' Hunter... 👎

The great Julia who can actually play bass whilst riding a unicycle. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Russ said:

Lobster's back. :) Something seems different this time, maybe it's the studio? 

Edited by Mudpup

14 hours ago, BillyBass said:

@lotte  Congrats on your new bass and hobby.  

Starting out learning 'Hit Me with your Rhythm Stick'. Is like jumping in a Formula One car for you first driving lesson.  'Seven Nation Army' by the White Stripes or something by Snow Patrol might be a bit easier.

I'm  actually not doing too badly with it, the notes and the timing are pretty much there, to my ear at least, which is really more testament to the quality of the instruction than anything. It's just the speed of the song that will take some time I think - I'm nowhere near it yet.

I've just (a couple of hours ago) invested in a piece of software called Transcribe which lets me play the actual song itself at a slower speed but keeps it in tone(?) so hopefully I'll work it up to full speed eventually.

I've also started on another song after having seen one of the recommendations in this thread that is demonstrated more than taught by Constantine Isslamow. It's 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton - again selected because it's such a great tune. He has a free and clear transcription of the bass line in a link in the video and a clear shot of him and the bass (both hands) that make it very easy to follow. The resources that are available to us, especially those of us who are beginners, is astounding really.

• Like 3