Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass YouTubers ..

Gonzo192

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, lotte said:

It's just the speed of the song that will take some time I think - I'm nowhere near it yet.

Exactly!  The speed is the most difficult part of it.

But anyway, you do what works for you.  As you say, there is a lot of good help on the internet.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Russ said:

Lobster's back. :) Something seems different this time, maybe it's the studio? 

I'm glad Lobster is back, I loved his old videos and I'm looking forward to her new ones.

Lobster received a lot of supportive comments on Talkbass, re the transition, but, unfortunately, there was also some hate.  

1 minute ago, BillyBass said:

I'm glad Lobster is back, I loved his old videos and I'm looking forward to her new ones.

Lobster received a lot of supportive comments on Talkbass, re the transition, but, unfortunately, there was also some hate.  

My sister-in-law is trans. I’ve heard some of the cr@p that she had to put up with. Some people just can’t live and let live - how does someone they don’t know dressing differently and using different pronouns affect them at all? 

• Like 3

On 23/05/2024 at 03:57, tobiewharton said:

I think it's important to recognise the distinction between different content creators. Some play so you can watch; others play so you can watch and learn. Some show and review gear and others primarily talk about gear.

Then there are the teachers - music teachers, bass teachers, and those that do both. 

The rarest breed are the teachers who are great players/players who are great teachers; I'm not talking, in the immortal words of Flea, 'all flash and no smash', but the rounded players who also have a gift for teaching.

The two that I really admire are Richie Blake and Dan Hawkins.

PD Bass is a long way ahead of anyone I’ve seen on You Tube

theres another guy called Adam Neely who what I’ve seen I like cerebrally 

There’s a guy on here called Huw

i might have looked at 4 or 5 of this things. What I have seen I thought very good. 

he has his own thread here basschat 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bagman said:

PD Bass

Yeah I like pdbass, I’ve got a few of his videos saved, this is a good one I thought ,and I’ve enjoyed working my way through the basslines for something different, no 2 is a good one 

Edited by Reggaebass

• 1 month later...

Speaking of bass YouTubers, I see Low End Lobster is posting again. I'm looking forward to what she has to say about the new budget SBMM basses as I may be tempted by one.

Edited by asingardenof
Misspelled "bass". I feel suitably ashamed.

11 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Speaking of bass YouTubers, I see Low End Lobster is posting again. I'm looking forward to what she has to say about the new budget SBMM basses as I may be tempted by one.

Not at the UK prices vs. the US price you won't...

• Haha 1

On 22/05/2024 at 19:22, PaulThePlug said:

Julia 'Thomamn' Hofer... 👍

Patrick 'Gurning' Hunter... 👎

Let’s see… she speaks almost perfect English, has good screen presence and can play bass way better than me … whilst riding a unicycle 

what’s not to like about that 🤔

On 06/07/2024 at 22:33, lotte said:

I'm  actually not doing too badly with it, the notes and the timing are pretty much there, to my ear at least, which is really more testament to the quality of the instruction than anything. It's just the speed of the song that will take some time I think - I'm nowhere near it yet.

I've just (a couple of hours ago) invested in a piece of software called Transcribe which lets me play the actual song itself at a slower speed but keeps it in tone(?) so hopefully I'll work it up to full speed eventually.

I've also started on another song after having seen one of the recommendations in this thread that is demonstrated more than taught by Constantine Isslamow. It's 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton - again selected because it's such a great tune. He has a free and clear transcription of the bass line in a link in the video and a clear shot of him and the bass (both hands) that make it very easy to follow. The resources that are available to us, especially those of us who are beginners, is astounding really.

I think he is godlike. I sent him a request for an obscure tune and he did it. Very good PDFs and clear video. @ConstantineIsslamow

• Like 1