Why become a member? ×

No wonder he never got anywhere

Happy Jack

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

He was 6' 3" or 1.93m so probably quite big.

Maybe Ric made a short scale bass back then ?

Dave

Having met him twice and being 6ft myself (I’ve actually been measured at 5’11 and 3/4”) he was easily 6’ 3”, and he was a big guy all-round, not just tall (although obviously he got bigger as he got older, as most of us do). 

The Ric is a normal Ric. My hands are about normal for my size (certainly not undersized) and his hands were much bigger than mine. 

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I believe that is a custom build by someone other than Ric. I'm not going to Google it though as I need to move some stuff in the garden before it rains!

The 8 string Ranney was custom built; it’s not a Ric. The Ric wasn’t, it’s a ‘64. 

Half the thread was missing when I posted above; as soon as I posted it all appeared, so obviously my second comment is somewhat redundant. 

The Ranney makes me want another 8 string. I had an 8 string Ric for a few years and it was fab. I love the 8 string sound. 

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

I think the Ric sound really suits an 8-string. I'm sure there is room for an 8 or 12 in my future somewhere!

They’re great. But I would advise sticking with a fairly light gauge (like the Ric set) if getting a Ric. I put the Roto 8 string set on mine prior to selling and it didn’t like them, the tension was too much.

11 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Ok, that's been the elephant in the room for me for a long time - how did he put all that weight on?

Well as well as spending a lot of time in the bath, hence his nickname, he also drank like a Fish, so I imagine that contributed to it. Of course there could be many other factors. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 4000 said:

You know, rewatching the vid makes me sad, knowing I’ll never see him live again. 

I only saw Yes once, at Hammersmith in 2003. But what an experience. A treasured memory.

Now I remember,  I had tickets to see The Syn at the London Astoria, but sadly it was cancelled.  It would have been incredible to have seen him in such a relatively small venue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I only saw Yes once, at Hammersmith in 2003. But what an experience. A treasured memory.

Now I remember,  I had tickets to see The Syn at the London Astoria, but sadly it was cancelled.  It would have been incredible to have seen him in such a relatively small venue.

Wow, that would have been amazing. 

I think I saw Yes five (?) times. First time was the Union tour at the NEC, then didn’t see them again until the Open Your Eyes tour (Manc Apollo), then The Ladder (ditto), then Symphonic (ditto), then Full Circle (?) at Liverpool Docks, which may have been the last time. I have a vague recollection of having seen them once more, but I have no ticket or programme so I’m not sure about that. Met the band twice, I think (I have 2 signed programmes so that must be the case). I also have a video that a friend of a friend shot of a chunk of the Open Your Eyes Manc Apollo gig. The best was either the Open Your Eyes gig or Symphonic. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

He was altogether a pretty large guy - later on sideways as well as upwards!

10 hours ago, 4000 said:

Having met him twice and being 6ft myself (I’ve actually been measured at 5’11 and 3/4”) he was easily 6’ 3”, and he was a big guy all-round, not just tall (although obviously he got bigger as he got older, as most of us do). 

As my wife said, when she knew him in LA, if she hugged him she could put her arms round and touch her fingers at the back. In the latter years, her arms didn't get to the sides.

Almost certainly the same with me but not quite so tall to make up for it!

• Like 1

I saw Yes twice. Drama tour at Bristol Colston Hall (sorry) and once at Wembley. I remember Jon Anderson at the Wembley gig but I cannot remember the rest of the line up. Was it the 90125 tour? No idea. I think I went on my own so can't ask anyone. Chris Squire was a massive favourite early on. I have just finished transcribing 'Heart Of The Sunrise' which was a roast. Hope to post it on my archive page later today. *

*posted

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 2