Why become a member? ×

Many hollow body basses have the bridge set in from the edge of the body , so despite the short scale they are a larger instrument.
Try one. 

Another aspect to consider, as @LeftyJ mentioned, semis can be surprisingly heavy but genuine hollow bodies can be feedback monsters. That said, I had a hollow body Hofner Violin bass (some have a centre block), which was light and didn’t seem too prone to feedback. I never got used to the playing position though, because of the way the neck is set into the body and the position of the front strap button, it seemed a big stretch to reach the bottom frets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, neil___lien said:

Hello @EddieG!

Are U 100% sure about this? Is this not the HB-50 that was briefly seen at some of those big gear shows a few months back in orange & red? 

If so, they are long scale semi-hollows with a musicman-style humbucker. One Basschat member had the orange prototype and sold it here recently..

I am asking because i am really interested in getting a semi-hollow (i miss my long gone Rockbass Star Bass 32") & i cant afford anything that's on the market right now except Harley Bentons. But the HB-60 comes in just one finish for now. 

I sent them an email a few weeks back to see if by any chance they would make the HB-50 or HB-60 in finishes that i find the classiest (Dark Lake Placid Blue, Faded Pehlam Blue....) but they didn't feel i deserved to be told anything lol

100% sure, so keep hold of your money till then.😉

And yes, it is based off of the orange prototype that was doing the rounds (and was recently sold on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/812157104198329/).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EddieG said:

And yes, it is based off of the orange prototype that was doing the rounds (and was recently sold on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/812157104198329/).

That was @neepheid's acquisition. Definitely 34"... Interesting that they'd try that and do a u-turn and go shortscale on the production model.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EddieG said:

Not sold on FB, sold here.  Only marked as sold on FB.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Not sold on FB, sold here.  Only marked as sold on FB.

I twisted for ages on snapping that up myself, but I really don't need a 4-string. 
But a Rivoli-style would be a good one to noodle about on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EddieG said:

I twisted for ages on snapping that up myself, but I really don't need a 4-string. 
But a Rivoli-style would be a good one to noodle about on.

So the new bass will be short scale then?

Do we know if there'll be other finishes, by any chances??

For the 5 string miKro, it's a shame that Ibanez went with the '3 over 2' headstock layout common to the cheaper models, instead of the '2 over 3' layout you get on the premiums. Switching to the other template would have shifted the tuners for the thickest strings back an inch (measured roughly but consistently-so using GSRM25, SR655, SR1105 and SR1305) and probably solved a good few of the string choice problems related to the scale length.

As it stands, I'm going with Dunlop super-bright short scales as I use the long versions on other basses and like the feel of them, and they seem to fit well enough with only a bit of the tapering - not the full thickness of the string - going round the peg on the B. That's the same as the Ibanez set which I found really rough, so not really losing anything by ditching those. Now I just need to order some NPS as I could only find plain steels in stock to test with.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

For the 5 string miKro, it's a shame that Ibanez went with the '3 over 2' headstock layout common to the cheaper models, instead of the '2 over 3' layout you get on the premiums.

Totally agree!

On my Mikro 5 the B string can take a max wrap length of 32.05 inch to stay clear of the tuning peg and the shortest flats I can find (La Bella's DEEP TALKIN' BASS) have a 32.25 inch Ball-End to Silk length.

I'm considering changing my bridge to a Warwick 30125 5B, which would allow me to place the tail bridge furthur down the body and give me an extra 1/2 inch.

image.png.87144e6f3b41a41c9fb4cfcf4ab7f755.png

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm

9 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

Totally agree!

On my Mikro 5 the B string can take a max wrap length of 32.05 inch to stay clear of the tuning peg and the shortest flats I can find (La Bella's DEEP TALKIN' BASS) have a 32.25 inch Ball-End to Silk length.

I'm considering changing my bridge to a Warwick 30125 5B, which would allow me to place the tail bridge furthur down the body and give me an extra 1/2 inch.

image.png.87144e6f3b41a41c9fb4cfcf4ab7f755.png

Sam x

I do really like the Warwick two-piece, especially when you follow their setup guide to follow the curvature of the last fret, but I'd probably make a mess of the routing to recess the baseplate of the bridge section. I'm good with a drill and might even award myself 'nifty' with a soldering iron, but I'm much more Cisco than Bosch when it comes to routing 🙂 

I considered dropping the bridge on mine back a bit and filling in or covering (or just dropping a couple of decorative screws into) the existing front mounting holes, but it wouldn't get me much more than 1/4" before the intonation became problematic on the higher strings, so I decided against. Reckon you're definitely on the right track with the separate tailpiece.

GSRM25_br_sm.thumb.jpg.ab0fd907e10a4a03fc35835f1405447e.jpg

Switching the 10mm grub screws for 8mm ones that sink below the surface instead of scratching my hand was a small but significant step, though, and well aligned with my modding and tinkering capabilities.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, I don't have that problem with my 5 string Mikro Bass, since I tune in in G standard tuning, that is 3 half steps above the upper 5 strings of a 6 string bass tune to regular B standard tuning, and use guitar strings. ;)

Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings have just about the perfect length for these basses.

I realize that doesn't help much though if you are tuning to regular bass tunings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I tune in in G standard tuning, that is 3 half steps above the upper 5 strings of a 6 string bass tune to regular B standard tuning, and use guitar strings. ;)

Uhhh ...

giphy.gif

Is that effectively BEADG up 7 semi-tones?

GSTD.jpg.3e95cf22851509156d329765cf8e2608.jpg

Sam x

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SamIAm said:

Seriously?  No fnar?  Phrasing?  Ding dong?  Fine, I'll do it then.

Fnar.

There.

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

8 semi tones or half steps, yes.

Urm ... see how confused I was, couldn't even count correctly! 😖

Or it might have been my fear of those dusty areas on my fretboard ...

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just finished the neck conversion on my lacewood U S. Masters bass. Nice to have 24 frets on a shortie.

The neck was an unfinished 70 quid jobbie from ebay, I think the board is pao ferro though it was sold as rosewood, but I'm happy as the original neck has a pao ferro board.

Here's a picture next to the Mustang for comparison. I only had to move the bridge back by 1520240709_163553.thumb.jpg.038943ebc6c0a7785b3140e297e09d3e.jpgmm for intonation. 

Eventually I'll be defretting it, but having just fettled the frets I think I'll play as is for a bit after all that effort! Finished neck and fretboard in tru-oil, just 3 coats for a minimal satin sheen.

• Like 5

So I missed the Harley Benton Mustang-a-like first time round but bought one when the second edition went on sale.

The plan was always to use the bass as an upgrade project. The bass is a fantastic instrument, great fit & finish, lovely neck ,light and well balanced.

I saw all the upgrades others had done on the first generation ( Low End Lobster etc) but the @ped , @Andyjr1515  pathway really appealed.

So stage one 

20240710_091434.thumb.jpg.469ba92d5e387bd7d95eed7633d6c877.jpg

20240712_121550.thumb.jpg.9bd31a48c06a27fe93bda346a601f380.jpg20240712_121630.thumb.jpg.c282bae7d0c46683a0f7d55f4c8e4231.jpg

Eric Custom T'Bird bridge Pup from EY Parts fitted with the extra black pickguard surround to cover up the wider 'P bass Pup opening.

I left the controls stock and I have been amazed with the huge tone from the EY T'Bird Pup. It's positioned 10ins from the 12th Fret, the so called short scale sweet spot.

Stage two will be to replace the pickguard, upgrade the controls and add a second EY T'Bird in the bridge position.

The cavity for the 3-position selector switch is very generous and I may replace the switch with a balance control with a mini chicken head knob.

Very pleased so far!!

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

So I missed the Harley Benton Mustang-a-like first time round but bought one when the second edition went on sale.

The plan was always to use the bass as an upgrade project. The bass is a fantastic instrument, great fit & finish, lovely neck ,light and well balanced.

I saw all the upgrades others had done on the first generation ( Low End Lobster etc) but the @ped , @Andyjr1515  pathway really appealed.

So stage one 

20240710_091434.thumb.jpg.469ba92d5e387bd7d95eed7633d6c877.jpg

20240712_121550.thumb.jpg.9bd31a48c06a27fe93bda346a601f380.jpg20240712_121630.thumb.jpg.c282bae7d0c46683a0f7d55f4c8e4231.jpg

Eric Custom T'Bird bridge Pup from EY Parts fitted with the extra black pickguard surround to cover up the wider 'P bass Pup opening.

I left the controls stock and I have been amazed with the huge tone from the EY T'Bird Pup. It's positioned 10ins from the 12th Fret, the so called short scale sweet spot.

Stage two will be to replace the pickguard, upgrade the controls and add a second EY T'Bird in the bridge position.

The cavity for the 3-position selector switch is very generous and I may replace the switch with a balance control with a mini chicken head knob.

Very pleased so far!!

That looks great, a second Tbird pickup will be great fun. Can you tap the coils in your pickup? Perhaps that could be a useful switch to add if so. What colour pickguard are you going for? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ped said:

That looks great, a second Tbird pickup will be great fun. Can you tap the coils in your pickup? Perhaps that could be a useful switch to add if so. What colour pickguard are you going for? 

The Eric Custom T'Bird Pup is not 4-wire but sounds great and a second in the bridge position is the next step. Pickguard will the same dark red Tort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

20240712_121630.thumb.jpg.c282bae7d0c46683a0f7d55f4c8e4231.jpg

That looks awesome, John!

Needs the 2nd pup for visual balance.  Will the new scratch plate render the black ring unnecessary?  Could even lose the chrome surround for added sleekness?

2 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

That looks awesome, John!

Needs the 2nd pup for visual balance.  Will the new scratch plate render the black ring unnecessary?  Could even lose the chrome surround for added sleekness?

Thanks.

The new pickguard will replace the black surround but I'm inclined to use both chrome surrounds for both Pups.

I plan to use two bridge Pups and a balance pot to blend both same value Pups. 

It will hopefully deliver a greater level of flexibility. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've seen the light and have been converted....

I've been very happy with the sound, playability and feel of my Musicman SR5. It has been my main bass for sometime now being used every weekend at church and while rehearsing for a new band. 

Now that I'm gigging again with 20 shows until the end of year I wanted to lighten the load on my back and maybe at the same time try a generally smaller bass.

Sam a fellow Basschatter who lives near me has an Acinonyx bass strung with Labella low tension flats. He very kindly hosted me one afternoon while I had a go on his bass to see if I liked it. Well to say I was impressed was an understatement. The smile on my face was ear to ear. 

It is small, very light weight, packs a punch and the 17mm string spacing made it so easy to play.

The next day I put an order in with the most excellent guys at Bass Direct and the next day arrived a fantastic Acinonyx bass in Lake Placid Blue. 

I've also ordered a set of Newtone Shorties strings to see if they suit the Acinonyx. Has anyone tried them?

Two gigs, church and 2 rehearsals later I'm a convert. So much so the SR5 has gone to Bass Bros and I'm looking around for more shorties. 🤠

image.jpg

Edited by spyder
  • Like 14