Why become a member? ×

On 29/09/2024 at 02:42, ajkula66 said:

Greetings to my fellow short-scale bass players!

New to this forum - OK, I have been lurking occasionally - but not new to bass (45 years and counting) or the concept of short scales...

My current crop

EBsandJS.thumb.jpg.0f643564afacd4ab9c2c98692bab000d.jpgIMG_20231103_0010579.thumb.jpg.abb6acc3d5dc872415a899ded0d3384d.jpg

From left to right: '69 Gibson EB-0 (modded), '76 Guild JS-2, '69 Gibson EB-3, '70 Gibson Les Paul Bass, '72 Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass.

Yes, they all sport Hipshot Supertone bridges and no, I'm NOT a paid endorser...:biggrin:

Brilliant! Even though I don't have one now, I'm basically a Gibson guy. Back in the day, I gigged a couple of Les Paul Triumphs. Loved them but heavier than a very heavy thing so I decided to cash them in. Followed up with a lovely black SG re-issue bought new in 2008. Should never have sold it really but the strap balance was poor and over recent years the ergonomic side of playing has become more important to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Looks absolutely fab.  How much does one of these weigh in at, Clarky?

It's roughly 7.5 pounds from memory. I have degenerative neck damage and fractured 13 ribs last year so heavy basses are an issue for me. I didn't even notice the Mullarkey at the end of our 45 min set and am confident I could easily play a 1.5-2 hour set with it

• Like 9

Here's one of my shorties.

A Hofner Shorty.

When I was working I travelled a lot, bought this so I could practice when I was away. It's been all over Europe with me.

It's been upgraded with Wilkinson bridge, pup and tuners and Marvel locking strap nuts.

It's not without it's shortcomings, as befits such a unusual design, mainly in the ergonomics department. 

On the plus side playing with a strap sat down makes it useable, it sounds brilliant, especially with a dash of overdrive, and it intonates absolutely perfectly. It it's good fun to hack away at with a pick, slightly awkward with fingers it you use any kind of anchored style and is one of the reasons I learned to play with a floating hand.

It's now on a fresh set of Ernie Balls ready to come out of retirement and accompany me all over the place in my new campervan.

PXL_20241001_092611410.thumb.jpg.a5125dcca43545aa9349072717500679.jpg

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 9

*Everyone* should learn to play with a floating hand 😊 I had no choice but to learn when I got a piezo-only Ibanez SRH500F about 5 years ago and suddenly had no pickup to rest my thumb on. Turned out to be one of the best things to happen to my playing technique. Very freeing being able to completely change right hand position on the fly from note to note to get brighter/warmer tones even within the same phrase. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, SonnyBassPlayer said:

Just starting to revive my BroncoMaster. I'm working on a paint tone to make it cream-yellow with nitrocellulose and I'm currently having a custom split coil made the size of a strat as pickup. The Duncan Hot Stack never really made it.
bm.thumb.JPG.11d1a7de1009a2a30413e506d74861b8.JPG

That looks really nice!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I've been looking for one of these but wrong end of the bloody country.

Nay worries, I need to stop spending anyhow.....

I 'watched' it and received an offer to buy for £800, FYI (I can't afford it hence posting here)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

I've been curious about Atelier Z for a while. People talk very highly of them, I'd love to play one. I like the look of this one but I have an aversion to mustangs with bridge pickups. Plus I'm low key saving myself for a Wilcock 4P-51 (once the wedding is paid for).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Letting one like this, at a good price, slip through my fingers, while I hemmed and hawed over it, still stings.

image.thumb.png.7e84bc260dcaf4a9e38d4ba8d04ba25c.png

Very tight string spacing, however - 16.5mm or less, IIRC

I've got one of these as a lefty but in natural and love it. I would love a PJ too, and I think it looks great in that white finish with competition stripes, matching headstock and rosewood fingerboard! Classic looks but a very modern bass (as is the JJ - the titanium reinforced neck is very rigid and the pickups and 2-band boost-only EQ are quite powerful and modern-sounding). 

I had the signature mini bass - KenKen?? Couldn't really fault it except for one minor irritation - the scratch-plate was so thick that it had to be removed to get an allen key in to the truss-rod adjustment slot. The tonal flavouring wasn't quite to my liking so I moved it on.