Why become a member? ×

I’ve been playing my fairly recently acquired Fender MIJ Mustang a lot lately. I found that with my regular steel Elixir rounds it was a bit harsh and lacking a bit of depth so rather than change pickups bought a set of nickel Elixir rounds to try and it’s dealt with both aspects. The Jazz width neck is really easy to play, especially as I’m now getting arthritis in my left thumb (which was the reason I bought this bass). I’ve also found that due to the looser tension it’s made me play less forcefully than on my Precisions, so I’m getting a more melodic feel. I have gone up a gauge from 45-100 to 55-110 but they’re still looser which again is suiting me, something I wouldn’t have expected.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve been playing my fairly recently acquired Fender MIJ Mustang a lot lately. I found that with my regular steel Elixir rounds it was a bit harsh and lacking a bit of depth so rather than change pickups bought a set of nickel Elixir rounds to try and it’s dealt with both aspects. The Jazz width neck is really easy to play, especially as I’m now getting arthritis in my left thumb (which was the reason I bought this bass). I’ve also found that due to the looser tension it’s made me play less forcefully than on my Precisions, so I’m getting a more melodic feel. I have gone up a gauge from 45-100 to 55-110 but they’re still looser which again is suiting me, something I wouldn’t have expected.

I’ve got that left thumb arthritis thing too: a right pain (literally). At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs:  another thing to look at is the nut height. Quite a few basses seem to come with it set far higher than necessary, making the first few frets require quite a lot of squeeze, especially with heavier strings. It also affects intonation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

They're quite different, aren't they (Elixir steel vs nickel I mean). I accidentally bought steels last time and really like them. I find the steels quite like the Third pickup in mine. Glad the MIJ is going well.

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2024 at 12:46, Lozz196 said:

I've... found that due to the looser tension it’s made me play less forcefully than on my Precisions

Yes, this is what I'm finding, and learning to love.

8 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Gorgeous bass, how is the tone? Is the neck pickup similar to one of the Gibson mudbuckers?

never had a Gibson, but very sub-muddy(or mud-subby?) indeed. i might end up putting in a Kiogon stacked knob replacement to get a bit more control over the mud flow :)

the bridge pickup is beautiful on its own though

15 hours ago, triplebass said:

never had a Gibson, but very sub-muddy(or mud-subby?) indeed. i might end up putting in a Kiogon stacked knob replacement to get a bit more control over the mud flow :)

the bridge pickup is beautiful on its own though

Yes a blend knob instead of the switch would transform the sound and the range of tones available!

• Like 2

On 10/06/2024 at 04:55, meterman said:

Quick question for the short scale community, of which I belong to.

The humble Squier Bronco. A friend has offered me his kids old, unused Bronco bass for a very cheap price, and I might take him up on the offer. But, it’s one of the 2010’’s era ones with the Musicmaster style bridge.

I know plenty folks here have owned these, so what I needed to know is: can you swap out the Musicmaster bridge for a regular BBOT one, ie P or Jazz style, or is there a difference in the string spacing at the bridge that makes changing it out difficult?

I can live with the Musicmaster style bridge aesthetically, just not sure about the intonation though? Never owned a Bronco, but for 60 euros I’m tempted to give it a try.

If anyone here has done the bridge swap on one of these, let me know. Thank you folks 🙏 

My potential Bronco sale fell through as the guy decided to keep it as a knock around bass to keep at home : (

I might still keep an eye out for one though. Although my #1 is a Jazz, I’d still have a cheap Squier if one showed up near me. Googling Reverb, LeBonCoin and ebay now...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Even if I made a dedicated thread for it, I suppose it belongs in this thread:

My new 4 string Ibanez GSRM20B Mikro Bass, "Dud Bottomfeeder II":

GSRM20BMikroBassNew200624Sharp-Copy.thumb.JPG.6759558fe2b240395c0e38f629b390fa.JPG

Just 28.6" scale length, Maple neck, treated Purple Heart (which is almost as hard as and stiffer than Ebony) fretboard, Okoume (which is a cheap alternative to Mahogany, lighter and not as hard, but is supposed to have very similar tonewood qualities, and looks a lot like Mahogany too) body.

EMG Geezer Butler P/J pickup set installed, wired directly to each their own front mounted jack output socket, and respectively red and black electrical tape applied on to them.

One of the stock pots and knob left, though with no functionality but cosmetically.

Stock side mounted barrel type jack socket removed.

Black electrical tape applied over logos on head stock.

Strung with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings, of the gauges: .068 - .052 - .038 - .038, picked for almost perfectly balanced tension, tuned to tenor bass tuning, A# standard tuning, as in a ½ step above the upper 4 strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning, threaded through the cut off ball ends of the crappy stock bass strings, to not fall through the bridge string mounting holes.

Copper shielding tape applied in the nut slots to fill some of the space from the slots being cut for a gauge .105 - .045 bass string set.

Simple basic cheap capo applied over strings on the head, behind the nut, to make the strings sit better in nut slots, to secure proper break angle, and to mute eventual sympathetic vibrations from strings between nut and tuners.

Just bellow 2mm string action on low E last fret, with minimal, almost straight neck, relief, and without any fret buzz whatsoever. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 4

I took my Squier JagWah to rehearsal last night. It was fun.

Not a hint of neck dive, and it didn't feel any heavier than my P. Action was so easy. My current band demands that I play at the dusty end; til recently anything north of the 7th fret required a weeks notice so I could neck a can of spinach and get in a couple of gym sessions. But this was almost too easy.

Sounded great too, bit of a David Wm Sims tone with both pickups (weedy as the bridge is on its own) and a fat P with just the P. Don't think I'll be changing them any time soon. Best surprise though was the evenness of tone between strings. The Newtone strings might be a big factor in all the above.

It does need a setup though. Intonation is a bit out, easily sorted, but there's a bit of choking going on that's not apparent with the whole band making a racket but not so good for recording. It'd be nice to keep the low action so I'm taking it for a fettle by someone that won't break it.

• Like 3

Not really a full pimp-out of a cheap Ibanez, but I just did a bit of reverse-logic purchasing and ended up with a GSRM25.

I had a 'cosmo black' Ibanez B305 bridge, matching Gotoh GB707 tuners and a set of knobs left over from a past project, and instead of just selling them on and getting some cash back I decided that I'd get something cheap and different to use them on, so now I have a short scale that should fit in a guitar bag.

GSRM25_mod24.thumb.jpg.3c50ce3d7bb1ffd545032fc6320a549c.jpg

It felt chunky to begin with, and feels even chunkier now it's got the new hardware fitted. I'll get it some matching (or black) strap-lock buttons at some point.

The fretwork is nice but the finishing on the body is absolutely woeful up close. Still, better it be that way round; a mirror gloss finish and an unpayable neck gets you nowhere.

And then there's the strings - the ones that came on it were cut far too short, and the new set of Ibanez made-for-the-bass ones are so rough they'd be more at home fitted to a tile saw.

But having played it for a while I do like it in a funny sort of way, hence being in the appreciation thread. I guess I'll start researching suitable strings!

• Like 4

Yours looks fantastic TBH. Quite jealous.

I have the GSMR20, you think your body finish is bad, mine looks like its been used as a shovel (and might have been).

However it plays well and I like it. What mods do people do on these Ibanez's?

Thanks

Rb

• Like 3

I had seen a photo of a modified short scale Ibanez Talman and quite liked the look. So when one turned up on kijiji I picked it up.

This was going to be my first mod project.

It was heavier than the basses I mostly use , and had a big chunky neck , that had a tendency to dive …  after playing it for a while I got quite comfortable playing it.

Now I quite like it. It just goes to show you can get used to almost anything if you just spend a little time on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

What mods do people do on these Ibanez's?

I've a GSRM20 & GSRM25.

I struggled intonating the Mikro5 but found that by replacing the saddle screws with shorter M3 bolts I was able to address this without having to move the bridge.

I've put on some different knobs.

strings.jpg.df90dc6bd9dd687e0a1de40b81eabf52.jpgKnobs.jpg.cf440dd794d84199673132887af5d2a5.jpg

You can also see an approach I tried to allow the use of any length strings, based on the way that headless strings are held at the nut (But instead applied at the saddle). Sadly it did not work, the outer wrap just came apart :sad:

I'm considering popping in an EMG MJ set.

I'm investigating if I can vinyl wrap it ... I love the thought of something like this! (Seen on that other site)

MikroVinyl.jpg.f85b85b173b1acb70c5dc4cf3b484126.jpg

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SamIAm said:

I've a GSRM20 & GSRM25.

I struggled intonating the Mikro5 but found that by replacing the saddle screws with shorter M3 bolts I was able to address this without having to move the bridge.

I've put on some different knobs.

strings.jpg.df90dc6bd9dd687e0a1de40b81eabf52.jpgKnobs.jpg.cf440dd794d84199673132887af5d2a5.jpg

You can also see an approach I tried to allow the use of any length strings, based on the way that headless strings are held at the nut (But instead applied at the saddle). Sadly it did not work, the outer wrap just came apart :sad:

I'm considering popping in an EMG MJ set.

I'm investigating if I can vinyl wrap it ... I love the thought of something like this! (Seen on that other site)

MikroVinyl.jpg.f85b85b173b1acb70c5dc4cf3b484126.jpg

Sam x

Thansk for this. Will look at it, not so sure about the Vinyl Wrap. I originally thought the JPEG colour lookup table had exploded :)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, rwillett said:

What mods do people do on these Ibanez's?

Rb

I dropped in. Tbird pickup , and have an old Pbass pickup I might drop in , change the pots , maybe the tuners.

IMG_8276.jpeg

• Like 5

I did actually have a short scale Talman a while back but it went along with the rest of the 4s. In terms of mods, it was an early one with a standard BBOT bridge so I put a nicer looking one on it, along with a PJ set of quarter pounders and a rewire. It was a nice bass, but it was just missing a string. If I'd kept it, I was contemplating getting a pearl guard made for it to match a 'berg superlight I also had at the time.

3CCCB1D8-D0D2-444A-9A6F-200923D7730E.jpeg.397a60aef8afb5d5464c40de5f32b0d0.jpeg

At one point it had chromes on it, but it was a set of EXL160S that really made it come alive.

TalmanShorty.thumb.jpg.8bd2b54b605c70e827448800a33fb5a6.jpg

• Like 3

Shared before but I changed the tuners to save some weight and have less neck dive. Upgraded to Aguilar pickups and in doing so needed a new plate. Which I got a luthier just to do whatever he wanted. And loved the final shape. Oh and added flush straplocks.

Also made a quick ramp.

IMG_20201030_223759_590.thumb.jpg.ce9daf0dc63a7d63a0cbfbac251c9aa5.jpgPXL_20210327_193216559.thumb.jpg.76e2041dd1a6ca06e2d6bef5f8b7aeec.jpgPXL_20210327_193433818.thumb.jpg.7b4208384d763214672aba80a238f8c7.jpgPXL_20210329_170412364.thumb.jpg.364c42ba26365f37a160e6ffe0c52b09.jpgPXL_20210329_170417923.thumb.jpg.9c2d7d81104fc6a157f1080083d16ef8.jpgtalmabtmb35pickups.thumb.jpg.00aed12ceaf2b72834b050b920cf4433.jpg

Edited by Mikey D
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)
On 22/06/2024 at 13:24, rwillett said:

Yours looks fantastic TBH. Quite jealous.

I have the GSMR20, you think your body finish is bad, mine looks like its been used as a shovel (and might have been).

However it plays well and I like it. What mods do people do on these Ibanez's?

Thanks

Rb

Here's 2 of mine:

My Ibanez GSRM25 5 string Mikro Bass, which beside visual mods, have had the faulty neck J pickup disconnected, and the bridge J pickup wired directly to the output jack socket.

The stock J bridge pickup actually does sound pretty awesome, but I still plan to at some point likely replace it for a Gemini Pickups Mountain Lightning J pickup.

I also plan to soon pull out the stock side mounted barrel type jack socket, and replace it for a front mounted regular one of proper quality.

Possibly eventually I will replace the bridge with ABM single mono rail bridge pieces, milled from solid brass.

And I have it strung with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings of the gauges: .080 - .062 - .046 - .036 - .026, tuned to G standard tuning, as in 3 half steps above the upper 5 strings of a 6 string bass tuned in regular B standard tuning.

Named "Mr. Growly - The Noodlemancer" :

image.png.b59c43cd64cd31b310e63fed4cbe9f

Poplar body, and a Maple neck with a Jatoba (stiffer than and almost as hard as Ebony, but there is rather conflicting information about its supposed tonewood qualities, though most seems to be of the conviction that it sounds somewhere between Maple and Rosewood, whatever that means, and consensus seems to be that it offers excellent projection) fretboard.

And my old trusty 4 string GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, that has had the stock chrome tuners of the GSRM20 neck replaced for black ones, and the stock pickups pulled out and replaced for an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, the stock side mounted barrel type jack socket having been replaces for a front mounted regular one of proper quality.

I will soon likely install the EMG Geezer Butler J bridge pickup, and wire it directly to a separate front mounted output jack socket, so that the 2 pickups can be mixed actively in parallel off board.

Will likely eventually also replace the bridge for ABM single mono rail bridge pieces, milled from solid brass.

And I have it strung with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings of the gauges: .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, tuned to A# standard tuning, as in one ½ step above the upper 4 strings of a 6 string bass tuned in regular B standard tuning.

Named "Dud Bottomfeeder":

A-A-Old-GSRM20-B-Mikro-Bass-260624-New-t

Listed as having a Mahogany body, but due to its exceptionally light weight I suspect Okoume (looks a lot like Mahogany, and supposedly has pretty much the same tonewood qualities, but is lighter and softer), body, and Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard.

The 5 string is the fuller, not as in fatter, but as in the tone covering a broader frequency spectrum, somewhat more polite, but considerably more growly, sounding, and also got better sustain and is considerably more dynamically sensitive/responsive, the 4 string is the fatter, more punchy and snappy, somewhat dirtier/edgier/cheekier and more compressed, sounding.

Pretty much the difference you would expect between a J and a P bass.

Also the tonal balance of the 4 string is exceptionally even between the strings and across the fretboard, as you would expect from a short scale bass with a reverse P pickup configuration.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2