Why become a member? ×

51 minutes ago, spyder said:

I think I've seen the light and have been converted....

I've been very happy with the sound, playability and feel of my Musicman SR5. It has been my main bass for sometime now being used every weekend at church and while rehearsing for a new band. 

Now that I'm gigging again with 20 shows until the end of year I wanted to lighten the load on my back and maybe at the same time try a generally smaller bass.

Sam a fellow Basschatter who lives near me has an Acinonyx bass strung with Labella low tension flats. He very kindly hosted me one afternoon while I had a go on his bass to see if I liked it. Well to say I was impressed was an understatement. The smile on my face was ear to ear. 

It is small, very light weight, packs a punch and the 17mm string spacing made it so easy to play.

The next day I put an order in with the most excellent guys at Bass Direct and the next day arrived a fantastic Acinonyx bass in Lake Placid Blue. 

I've also ordered a set of Newtone Shorties strings to see if they suit the Acinonyx. Has anyone tried them?

Two gigs, church and 2 rehearsals later I'm a convert. So much so the SR5 has gone to Bass Bros and I'm looking around for more shorties. 🤠

image.jpg

😉

I've always been a Gibson (30"-ish) scale-length guy since I started playing in the '60s but I can imagine how enabling the sudden switch from standard to short scale must feel to you. Lots more choice nowadays too 😊. Maybe your next acquisition could be the more recent 3-pickup (Version ll) Acinonyx. I'll certainly be tempted as and when they start appearing over here - not sure why they haven't already.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

I've always been a Gibson (30"-ish) scale-length guy since I started playing in the '60s but I can imagine how enabling the sudden switch from standard to short scale must feel to you. Lots more choice nowadays too 😊. Maybe your next acquisition could be the more recent 3-pickup (Version ll) Acinonyx. I'll certainly be tempted as and when they start appearing over here - not sure why they haven't already.

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/?s=Acinonyx+v2

Check out Bass Direct. They have the V2 in stock. 🤠

Edited by spyder
  • Thanks 1

@spyder Great choice. I’ve had my Lake Placid Blue Acinonyx for a year and a half now. The only thing I’ve felt the need to change is the volume knob. I’ve put a conventional metal knob on that matches the machine heads. Apart from that it’s brilliant out of the box IMO. I even like the preset tone buttons, which a lot of people complain about. You really feel the benefit of the light weight and easy playing when you do a long gig.

• Thanks 1

I've tried and use Newtone short scale strings. Just as good as their long scale.  They are excellent!  Just remember to go up a gauge if you don't want a floppy E string, because nobody wants that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spyder said:

Has anyone tried Newtone Shorties?

I have but not those that are listed on the site.  Indeed, I wasn't aware that Newtone was supplying short and medium strings - thanks for highlighting.

I ordered several sets of custom short-scale strings in super-light gauge - 30-90.  I've been very impressed so far.  I normally use nickel but the Newtones are SS (a deliberate order).  Very well constructed, lively and bright.  Nice feel too.  They're on hex cores so no floppiness, though compliance is excellent.  I'd recommend the company overall but Newtone's standard short-scale options are too heavy for me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 26/07/2024 at 10:20, spyder said:

Has anyone tried Newtone Shorties?

I've just today put a set (B->G .130->.050) on my Ibanez GSRM25 (5 String 28.6 inch scale) to replace the stock set and they seem very nice with a perfect wrap length (The main problem I've found in restringing), they are a 'special' set that Newtone have yet to list on their website ... but an email to Neil at [email protected] and you can have yours for £37.52 (including UK postage).

IMG_20240728_092115857Large.thumb.jpeg.0a759515b2df13a00f18fe89e2e8ecbd.jpeg

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'Ve played played a protype Les Paul from them and it's a very, very good guitar, indeed so good I brought it for my daughter to play. 

I tootled around on the other basses and they were great guitars, I don't recall thinking they were crap but I had my eye on a Rickenbacker at the time but we couldn't agree a number so my attention was a little unfocused. 

RWB Guitars in York have a lot of them in stock and good prices. They are also happy to haggle (a little). 

If you give Geoff a call and he has one in stock, I've no doubt he'll measure it for you. Really nice decent bloke

I may go there tomorrow or may not depending on what t'other half says. Suspect not though 😩

Edited by rwillett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

Anybody come across these Vintage Revo shorties? https://vintageguitarsrus.com/collections/vintage-revo-series-bass-guitars. I rather fancy the semi despite the 3 point bridge. Unfortunately, the spec doesn’t say what the nut width is, just that it is Graphtec. I wouldn’t get on with it if it is 42mm.

The supreme looks nice👍 

• Like 2

Folks for what it is worth, I asked about the nut width on the Vintage Revo Supreme semi (subject of my post a few above). The response from one dealer was “it looks about 44mm”, which really is wide! Allowing for error, I guess it is probably 42/43mm. Unfortunately not what my arthritic left hand is looking for.

That puts me looking at either the Guild Starfire 1, or the Warwick Star Bass, which have 38mm nuts. The Starfire II is out of my price bracket. I am a bit dubious about whether their single coil pickups are really going to give that vintage semi tone. Some reviews say they deliver it, others don’t. Any experience here?

9 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I am a bit dubious about whether their single coil pickups are really going to give that vintage semi tone. Some reviews say they deliver it, others don’t. Any experience here?

If there are none closeby that you can try, why don't you just buy one online and decide for yourself?  You can always return it if it's not to your liking - and if physical stock is too far away for you to try then it'll be cheaper to courier it back than for you to toddle to where the basses are in person and come back home.

Asking for other people's opinion here about something as subjective as sound I suspect is as counterproductive as the conclusions of the reviews you refer to - it's all opinion at the end of the day and ultimately the only person's opinion which matters in this situation is yours.  What's your definition of "that vintage semi tone"?  What is "that vintage semi tone" anyway?  It appears that you know what you want to hear, so I say the most expedient way to figure it out is for you to get listening with your own ears.

• Like 2

After many years of thinking ( without trying ) that short scale basses were just not right for a 6' 4" bass player I have suddenly found the light. 

A few weeks ago I tried a fellow Basschatters Acinonyx bass and loved it so much I went out and bought one. Immediately I fell in love with the light weight and easy to navigate small neck.

I sold my 34" scale bass and a spare amp to fund another shortie.

Say hello to the Serek "the grand".

I've now gigged both basses and both have a place and unique sound.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

• Like 12

52 minutes ago, spyder said:

After many years of thinking ( without trying ) that short scale basses were just not right for a 6' 4" bass player I have suddenly found the light. 

A few weeks ago I tried a fellow Basschatters Acinonyx bass and loved it so much I went out and bought one. Immediately I fell in love with the light weight and easy to navigate small neck.

I sold my 34" scale bass and a spare amp to fund another shortie.

Say hello to the Serek "the grand".

I've now gigged both basses and both have a place and unique sound.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

That's a very nice couple of basses. Where did you get the Serek?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never had problems playing 34 in basses , but I’ve come to prefer short scales. I’m up to around a dozen of them now. I really like the Acinonyx , and am suprised I haven’t found one yet.  I

• Like 1

I'm also 6'4 and enjoy short scale basses - my 2 are a JMJ Mustang (in black because I'm fussy) and a 1970 Guild Starfire II which might be short scale but is huge both in size and sound (purists would say it's the wrong age, as it has the Guild humbuckers instead of the Bisonic pickups, but it has quite a character)!

Having said that, I also like 34" scale basses - variety is the spice of life!

• Like 3

I'm in RWB Guitars now. It's a lovely guitar, the profile is great for me and it's a 44mm nut. Plays very well indeed. I.like it

I like the Gibson EB0 but banned from buying it

Edited by rwillett
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, rwillett said:

I'm in RWB Guitars now. It's a lovely guitar, the profile is great for me and it's a 44mm nut. Plays very well indeed. I.like it

I laps like the Gibson EB0 but banned from buying it

Have they got a Callan ? Is that wide necked too ?

thanks for replying; enjoy the rest of the afternoon out

Callan is the other Revo bass model, solid body Gibsonesque mahogany thing a bit like a double cut LP bass

@neepheid You’ve got a point but being weak willed, I like a bit of affirmation from others when I have GAS. Thomann seem to have the best price at the moment (of the sellers who have them in stock). Bit more of a hassle returning to them but still doable.

You are absolutely right that tone is subjective but I guess I am talking about that deep thud you hear on many sixties hits. I should explain that I play in a couple of covers bands that do a lot of late 50s and 60s stuff. I am looking for something that will give that tone, as well as cover 70s and 80s as well. Also look the part. The right semi might do all of that but it’s also got to be one that I feel comfortable playing, which rules out the Epi Thunderkat, Hofners (I’ve tried), the Ibanez semis, Gretsch, Epi Cassidy, etc.