Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

I'm in RWB Guitars now. It's a lovely guitar, the profile is great for me and it's a 44mm nut. Plays very well indeed. I.like it

I like the Gibson EB0 but banned from buying it

Unfortunately, that nut width doesn’t work for me. I’ve tried a few short scales with 42mm nuts and I just don’t feel comfortable playing them anymore. The Jazz nut width and neck profile is perfect for me.

52 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

@neepheid You’ve got a point but being weak willed, I like a bit of affirmation from others when I have GAS. Thomann seem to have the best price at the moment (of the sellers who have them in stock). Bit more of a hassle returning to them but still doable.

You are absolutely right that tone is subjective but I guess I am talking about that deep thud you hear on many sixties hits. I should explain that I play in a couple of covers bands that do a lot of late 50s and 60s stuff. I am looking for something that will give that tone, as well as cover 70s and 80s as well. Also look the part. The right semi might do all of that but it’s also got to be one that I feel comfortable playing, which rules out the Epi Thunderkat, Hofners (I’ve tried), the Ibanez semis, Gretsch, Epi Cassidy, etc.

Well, you do you.  Me personally, when the GAS hits I just decide I want a bass and I don't give a monkey's what any of you think about it.  Have courage in your convictions!

The Guild looks decent and sounds pretty good from what I've heard.  I like that it's got a couple of tonal options with the push pull.  I'd be interested but I don't like short scale basses.

image.png.384fbead0a20751dd2fa6fb3f8148bfe.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A plug here for the Epiphone Allen Woody. Short scale, 38mm nut, mahogany body and neck.

The neck humbucker gives you the vintage semi tone (in my opinion), and the 'middle' pickup is majestically P bass territory.

I have come to absolutely love mine. Fitted a tailpiece to allow long scale strings, and that has largely bypassed the problems of the 3 point bridge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sambrook said:

A plug here for the Epiphone Allen Woody. Short scale, 38mm nut, mahogany body and neck.

The neck humbucker gives you the vintage semi tone (in my opinion), and the 'middle' pickup is majestically P bass territory.

I have come to absolutely love mine. Fitted a tailpiece to allow long scale strings, and that has largely bypassed the problems of the 3 point bridge.

Pictures please.....

5 hours ago, Sambrook said:

The current spec says almost 43mm nut, otherwise I would be interested. I’m not a fan of the 3 point bridge but otherwise it would be right on my list, if it weren’t for the nut width. Is yours an earlier model with a different spec?

44 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

The current spec says almost 43mm nut, otherwise I would be interested. I’m not a fan of the 3 point bridge but otherwise it would be right on my list, if it weren’t for the nut width. Is yours an earlier model with a different spec?

It must be. Just checked, and it is 38 or 39mm ..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sambrook said:

It must be. Just checked, and it is 38 or 39mm ..

Interesting. I wonder why they changed the spec? I might look out for an older model but they don’t seem to come up very often.

Harley Benton Mustang-A-Like

OR

ThunderStang  with Loadsa Chrome 😂

So I fitted the second EY Parts Eric Custom Pup to the Harley Benton Mustang.

Sounds absolutely awesome. Very Rock'n Roll , aggressive and great for Metal🤪

I used two over wound bridge Pups (10.5K)  one at 10ins and one at 13ins centres from the 12th fret.

20240803_140202b.thumb.jpg.ad5199550d911947951b68560b5f1497.jpg

A very satisfying upgrade project.

• Like 17

44 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Harley Benton Mustang-A-Like

OR

ThunderStang  with Loadsa Chrome 😂

So I fitted the second EY Parts Eric Custom Pup to the Harley Benton Mustang.

Sounds absolutely awesome. Very Rock'n Roll , aggressive and great for Metal🤪

I used two over wound bridge Pups (10.5K)  one at 10ins and one at 13ins centres from the 12th fret.

20240803_140202b.thumb.jpg.ad5199550d911947951b68560b5f1497.jpg

A very satisfying upgrade project.

That looks awesome, I might have to do that to mine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

NBD

30.5”

Passive

Made by @Lukasz Chyla of this parish.

Exceptional for the money when you consider it’s handmade in the UK.

Plays really well.

And yes, it has a fabulous B.

Not for sale.

IMG_5578.thumb.jpeg.9ea44b74a2eec308a91a1118912e0a45.jpegIMG_5580.thumb.jpeg.eb87be16edb5eec8d343e95f58ca8940.jpeg

Edited by MJJS
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had a chance to try one of the new Sterling Ray shortscales with roasted neck yet? If so are they worth the upcharge?

I’ve sort of given up hope of snagging a used EBMM shortscale (after my last attempt fell through) so wondering if this would be a decent compromise.

IMG_1646.jpeg.37e10d0360118cda2854fa47b9eafa71.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, martthebass said:

Has anyone had a chance to try one of the new Sterling Ray shortscales with roasted neck yet? If so are they worth the upcharge?

I’ve sort of given up hope of snagging a used EBMM shortscale (after my last attempt fell through) so wondering if this would be a decent compromise.

IMG_1646.jpeg.37e10d0360118cda2854fa47b9eafa71.jpeg

Would like to know about these too. I keep looking at the Toluca blue version with rosewood board to use as a backup for taking out to places I wouldn't take my USA EBMM.

RAYSS4-TLB-R2_shopify_1200x.png

My main issue with the earlier Sterling version I tried a couple of years ago was the horrible cheap spongy quality in the movement of the knobs they'd put on there, but it occurred to me that as my USA version has a John East pre-amp installed, I might be able to fit all the original passive electronics into a Sterling instead, upgrade that aspect of it to USA standard and solve the problem.

[edit] - I also remember, at least on the one I tried, a hard sharp corner from the neck onto the fretboard. No attempt to curve or roll the corner or anything. Maybe I just tried a dud? If they're making the effort to do roasted maple now, hopefully these new editions have a bit more attention paid to that area too.

Edited by RichT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RichT said:

Would like to know about these too. I keep looking at the Toluca blue version with rosewood board to use as a backup for taking out to places I wouldn't take my USA EBMM.

RAYSS4-TLB-R2_shopify_1200x.png

My main issue with the earlier Sterling version I tried a couple of years ago was the horrible cheap spongy quality in the movement of the knobs they'd put on there, but it occurred to me that as my USA version has a John East pre-amp installed, I might be able to fit all the original passive electronics into a Sterling instead, upgrade that aspect of it to USA standard and solve the problem.

[edit] - I also remember, at least on the one I tried, a hard sharp corner from the neck onto the fretboard. No attempt to curve or roll the corner or anything. Maybe I just tried a dud? If they're making the effort to do roasted maple now, hopefully these new editions have a bit more attention paid to that area too.

Cheers Rich, I’d like to try one before buying but that’s not looking likely. Thing is I’ve been spoiled over the years with EBMMs and I’m concerned I’ll find the SBMM a bit ‘cheap’. Currently using a couple of Sandberg Lionel’s so hoping the quality isn’t too far off that.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 2

I eventually decided on a Guild Newark Street Starfire 1, having discounted the Epi Rumblekat (because of the nut width). I am sure the Rumblekat is an excellent bass but I am really happy with the Starfire. The Precision type pickup may not seem the obvious choice for a bass of this type but it does give a bit more tonal variation than the more typical mudbucker. I am finding it is a Swiss Army Knife bass for the covers bands I play in. You can get that 60s Brit Invasion style tone, as well as a Precision with depth. I am not sure that the parallel setting adds much but I might find a use for it. I love the neck but then I’m a Jazz bass fan boy. I also think it looks the business and is well made.

In common with most large semis, there are a few drawbacks: strap button on the heel of the neck. Not so much neck dive as wanting to hang horizontal to the floor (possibly because of the strap button location). The binding on the top edge starts to dig into the forearm on a long gig. I have cured this with some foam edge protector. It might look a bit strange but it works.

IMG_1110.jpeg

• Like 6

WRT the new Sterling Stingray SS: I like the look of the blue one 👍.

What I don’t understand though, is that a quick Google search suggests the US Sterling website has it priced at 599.99 USD and over here it is retailing for around £730! They must be shipped directly from the Far East to the various regional distributors (USA, UK, Europe), so what justification is there for the UK price? Is it just that we get gouged in the UK for everything, which explains why European retailers can undercut UK dealers’ prices?

• Like 1

On 24/08/2024 at 11:16, Obrienp said:

I eventually decided on a Guild Newark Street Starfire 1, having discounted the Epi Rumblekat (because of the nut width). I am sure the Rumblekat is an excellent bass but I am really happy with the Starfire. The Precision type pickup may not seem the obvious choice for a bass of this type but it does give a bit more tonal variation than the more typical mudbucker. I am finding it is a Swiss Army Knife bass for the covers bands I play in. You can get that 60s Brit Invasion style tone, as well as a Precision with depth. I am not sure that the parallel setting adds much but I might find a use for it. I love the neck but then I’m a Jazz bass fan boy. I also think it looks the business and is well made.

In common with most large semis, there are a few drawbacks: strap button on the heel of the neck. Not so much neck dive as wanting to hang horizontal to the floor (possibly because of the strap button location). The binding on the top edge starts to dig into the forearm on a long gig. I have cured this with some foam edge protector. It might look a bit strange but it works.

IMG_1110.jpeg

Congratulations on your new semi, fantastic colour and huge esthetic appearance.  Enjoy!!!!

Would you be kind enough to share the details of the bass hanging on the top RHS of the picture? 

Edited by JohnDaBass
Update
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

What I don’t understand though, is that a quick Google search suggests the US Sterling website has it priced at 599.99 USD and over here it is retailing for around £730! They must be shipped directly from the Far East to the various regional distributors (USA, UK, Europe), so what justification is there for the UK price? Is it just that we get gouged in the UK for everything, which explains why European retailers can undercut UK dealers’ prices?

See the thread "SBMM Hates Us"

The new "Intro" range is $249, yet is £349 here. No real reason as they won't be imported from the US, so it's a just a little extra profit margin for them.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

The new "Intro" range is $249, yet is £349 here. No real reason as they won't be imported from the US, so it's a just a little extra profit margin for them.

The current exchange rate £:$ is around 1.25 (ish). So £349 is approx $436. Take off VAT at 20% and we're back to $363. 

That's approx a 75% uplift. A bit more than a little extra profit. There are other costs as well but not a bad increase (for the seller)

Rob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Congratulations on your new semi, fantastic colour and huge esthetic appearance.  Enjoy!!!!

Would you be kind enough to share the details of the bass hanging on the top RHS of the picture? 

Thanks.

Top right hand corner is a full scale bitsa I put together on a ‘51 Precision theme. Got bored during lockdown and started to try to create another Swiss Army knife type bass. It’s now got a Jazz bass neck on a ‘51 body (Obeche), DiMarzio Relentless mudbucker (not so muddy really), Seymour Duncan quarter pounder ‘51 Precision and Warman MM humbucker, plus a no-name high mass bridge (with string through option). I enlarged the control cavity and fitted a Tele control plate with a 5 way strat switch, vol and tone controls. Vol is push/pull to switch the Warman MM pickup between series and parallel. The whole thing weighs about 8.5 lbs because the Obeche body is so light.

The pic shows it with the original Allparts ‘51 licensed neck I had on it, before changing to the jazz neck. I just sold that neck attached to another Precision bitsa. World’s worst attempt at a sort of sunburst finish using wipe on stains, as can be seen in the pic below. I know I can leave this unattended at a pub gig and nobody is going to pinch it 🤣.

IMG_0911.jpeg

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Obrienp said:

VAT, shipping, import tax. US prices are quoted ex local taxes too.

• Sad 1

New Gretsch SS’s arriving in December. I think this looks absolutely stunning and if it plays anything like my Jet Junior it’ll be a winner! 

I’m trying to decide what bass to move on in order to get one as I cannot justify another bass in the house. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/240610425239008--gretsch-streamliner-jet-club-bass-havana-burst?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD76p-21Y2lfZoDDl8TxLK9Yy07sz&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiLariKOSiAMV-ZyDBx0iODYvEAQYDyABEgKMYPD_BwE

IMG_4827.thumb.jpeg.fa4f11698106547eef4b24a64e96c246.jpeg 

• Like 3