Why become a member? ×

10 hours ago, Fuzzbass2000 said:

Anyone using Fender flats (9050 45-100) on Mustang strung through body? Do they fit or do the silks sit on the nut?

I know there are many other options - but they’re all 50-60£ a set. The Fender strings seem to be closer to the 40£ mark.

I’ve also used them on my Vintera 60s Mustang in the past. They fit fine 👍

Hope you all are doing well. 
So, I’ve played full scale basses since i started playing bass almost thirty years ago- only now, with the purchase of a JMJ last year, i‘ve become a vocal fan of what short-scales bring to the table. Also, I’m not the biggest fella, so with a short scale i actually feel in proportion with my instrument for once!
My shorties are a ‘78 Musicmaster and a JMJ- that’s a ‘66 Precision sat in the middle. The JMJ was modified with a Serek B90 for a time, but i’ve since switched it back to stock while i consider if i want to part with it.

All i really need/ want is the Precision and the Musicmaster. The JMJ feels excessive, but i thought it’d be nice to show off in the mean time!IMG_4656.thumb.jpeg.02ed92bc32b31fa354f38009a6f5e298.jpegIMG_1101.thumb.jpeg.be6989b0a9554896379771f53ef065e6.jpeg

The eagle-eyed amongst you might notice the B90 isn’t in the original Mustang pickup position- this is because i shifted it back a little toward the bridge to place it in a 30” scale proportioned P bass position. This made it a bit less tubby, more lean sounding. It was also super responsive to picking position- changing position had a much more noticeable affect on the tone than i ever experienced in the original Mustang position.

I might be talking myself into restoring the mod, haha.

Edited by Plankton
More info, tidying up some clumsy sentences
  • Like 14

On 28/08/2024 at 09:07, HoorayForAnonyms said:

I’ve been perplexed by the price increase on these in the last year or so. I bought two sets for £35 each when they were first released. 

It’s actually cheaper to buy directly from Amazon in the US. And I’ve bought things directly from Amazon US and always had a smooth transaction. They also offer free international returns which I’ve used before.

Even with customs and shipping, the total landed cost for the flats is £62.05! 

IMG_4658.jpeg

I had fake Elixirs from Amazon, missing the nanoweb coat, looking used... only buying from proper retailers since.

• Like 1

NBD....

Following a short scale transformation with a Serek "the Grand" I just HAD to get a matching 5 string Serek.......

Both are incredible basses, the build quality, workmanship and sound are just what I was looking for. 

The Grand is strung with LaBella low tension flats and the Midwestern 2 is strung with Newtone Shorties.

DSC_0002 (3).JPG

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

DSC_0001 (4).JPG

DSC_0005 (1).JPG

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, Sambrook said:

I've just ordered a set of Newtone shorties- what's the tension like? I had TI rounds ready for my new to me Epiphone Newport, but they really didn't suit, tension was actually TOO low...

I would say that they are medium tension. Not sloppy or tight. Just perfect for me.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, spyder said:

NBD....

Following a short scale transformation with a Serek "the Grand" I just HAD to get a matching 5 string Serek.......

Both are incredible basses, the build quality, workmanship and sound are just what I was looking for. 

The Grand is strung with LaBella low tension flats and the Midwestern 2 is strung with Newtone Shorties.

DSC_0002 (3).JPG

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

DSC_0001 (4).JPG

DSC_0005 (1).JPG

They just work for me. Very, very nice indeed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spyder said:

NBD....

DSC_0002 (3).JPG

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

DSC_0001 (4).JPG

DSC_0005 (1).JPG

It was hearing a 5 string Midwestern 2 that started me down the shorty rabbit hole in the first place. Nice score.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

Finally got my hands on a Danelectro Longhorn, after years of wanting one or at least trying one out....

I believe it's 90's MIK 'Pro' version, with the fully adjustable bridge & better tuners.

Got the rusty old roundwounds that came with it off & restrung it with some GHS Brite Flats.

Really liking it so far. Though I'm not finding it the most comfortable body shape (for me)

But it's lovely to play & has a big sound for it's size, and has quite a unique but useable tone IMHO.

Will see if I can bond with it, and if it's a keeper 🙂

Danelectro Longhorn.jpg

Edited by nick
  • Like 2