Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn Ampeg 2x12 8Ohm cab FT/FS £150
£150
Bath

oldslapper

Ampeg Portabass 2x12 cab with New Celestion drivers.

Bought this to match my Portabass amp.

Unfortunately the drivers were awful. Sounded like 2 wasps shagging in a biscuit tin (and I should know). Apparently this was due to the original neo drivers not having passed QA by Ampeg engineers, but the marketing dept had already started the promotional show, and won the battle with the designers. Sadly this meant that the Portabass range didn’t last. Which is a shame as the head is a peach. The amp tech I use was drooling over the circuitry when I asked him to give the amp a “once over” and service anything that needed sorting out. And it sounds gert lush, that ain’t going nowhere.

So I asked our band tech to look at replacing the speakers. So it now has 2 Celestion BL12 200 4ohm ferrite drivers wired in series, so it’s an 8ohm cab. I wanted that so I could add another 8 ohm cab if and when. 
It sounds lovely and warm, and has not been out of the house since I bought it 6-7 months ago, so drivers are not played in, at all.

The tweeter dial turns, but I can’t hear any discernible difference. It’s in place and wired in, so could be my hearing, or it doesn’t work? I never use them, or disconnect them with all cabs I have bought. So made no difference to me.
The cover is a little tatty in places, and the wheels/handle contraption had been removed when I bought it. But the 2 handles are more than enough to carry it. And it’s surprisingly light imho. Wifey moves it around and she ain’t Geoff Capes, I’ve checked, she’s not, definitely.

Its construction is out of Italian poplar  plywood

Dimensions: 27.5 x 17 x 15.5 in.

Original weight 38lbs

I have a 1x12 cab that will meet my needs as I don’t intend gigging anything other than an occasional DB gig, when that happens? 

I am really after a trade for a fretted P bass type of thing of an equivalent value, although cash is fine. Sorry won’t courier (yes, yes I know) but will meet up as far as an hours’ drive, or you can come and pick it up in Bath. (A car would be better, but a bath will be big enough to put the cab in).

Enough of this silliness. Any questions? No? Good! Move on.

Thanks 

John 

Edited by oldslapper

• MB1 locked this topic