Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

On 17/07/2024 at 20:55, Old Man Riva said:

Yes, the B-15 sounds great. It’s one of the reissues they did in around 2010 (I think). The inputs have a 1964 voicing and a 1966 voicing - the ‘66 has a bigger output, and has more of a treble bias. Really nice for the tic-tac plectrum sound, but I prefer the warmer ‘64 channel myself.

I was having a late night browse for gear on the internet and by chance stumbled across a used one that had just come in at Guitar Guitar (of all places). I phoned them first thing in the morning and they had it shipped to the closest store at the time in Epsom. I had a Mini at the time, and the Ampeg weighs an absolute ton, so trying to get the bloody thing into the car whilst half the shop stood watching was fun, to say the least!

Anyway, it was well worth the effort!

Reminds me of shifting my first 2x15 in a Mini (an old one) which necessitated taking the back seat cushion out and it just about got in. Amp filled the boot and the bass had the passenger footwell. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Looks genuine to me. Does FB indicate what year in the 70's it was made? I think custom colours have been available most eras, at a cost of course.

‘77 and advertised at £2750.

I think you’re right that the colours were an option but the 60s colours were considered unfashionable in this era so haven’t seen any others before. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

‘77 and advertised at £2750.

I think you’re right that the colours were an option but the 60s colours were considered unfashionable in this era so haven’t seen any others before. 

1977 precision bass all complete and original. Original rare sonic blue finish. Neck is straight with a nice low action, frets are good, a lot of the finish has naturally come off from the back of the neck over time leaving a really nice fast playability, strung with a nice set of old flatwounds. All works as it should with no issues. Ash body. Including original tags including serial number. All complete with original case and chrome covers. It's a medium weight for a 70s ash body p bass 4.7kgs. Pots date 18th week of 76 and the pickups are 77 (both pictured). Serial number on front of the headstock. Cash or bank transfer on collection only. No couriers or PayPal or any of that nonsense thanks.

• Like 1

That's almost certainly a refinish with a non-original guard. Sonic blue was phased out as a custom colour in 1972 and from around 1974-1980 Fender only produced black pickguards for P and J basses (the white ones only reappeared in 1980 for the International Color series). Of course, there's always the small chance that it really is a factory special order but without documentation to prove this it has to be considered a refinish. 

Edited by Belka
  • Like 1

I sold a bass and and cab this week, and I'm starting to sniff around for another early 70's P bass with tort guard. I have spied this one on Andy Baxter's site. Looks nice, great weight, lots going for it (albeit expensive), but then I can't get past looking at the string/neck alignment. I know it's been apart for photos, that's obvious, but this looks more than just a neck loosen and push it up fix. What do you think? 

Rob

Link to the bass: https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-precision-bass/products/1971-fender-precision-bass-sunburst-4

Pic:

Screenshot 2024-07-21 195032.jpg

• Like 1

Andy would definitely sort out any imperfections and set it up how you want it, he’s had that one for a while now so I’d say there’s some wiggle room, in my opinion Rob it’s a bit pricey for a 71 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Andy would definitely sort out any imperfections and set it up how you want it, he’s had that one for a while now so I’d say there’s some wiggle room, in my opinion Rob it’s a bit pricey for a 71 

Thanks Tony. Yes, it's very expensive, but I'm just looking around to see what's available. Do you know how Andy Baxter treats trade ins/part ex's? I have a bass I'd consider putting up in a deal, and also a guitar (he does sell vintage Gibsons, of which this is one).

Rob

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Thanks Tony. Yes, it's very expensive, but I'm just looking around to see what's available. Do you know how Andy Baxter treats trade ins/part ex's? I have a bass I'd consider putting up in a deal, and also a guitar (he does sell vintage Gibsons, of which this is one).

Rob

He advised me that it’s more cost effective if he sells for you. He offers a 15% commission basis which is very fair indeed given he does professional photos and a setup.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

He advised me that it’s more cost effective if he sells for you. He offers a 15% commission basis which is very fair indeed given he does professional photos and a setup.

Thanks for that info, I didn't know that. 15% is fine, and it's what Richard Henry charges for guitar sales.

Rob

14 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Do you know how Andy Baxter treats trade ins/part ex's?

I’ve never part exchanged anything with him, I know he does do it but not really sure about that one 

• Like 1

NBD ! A 1970 Precision in very nice original condition. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was sniffing around for another early 70's P bass, and someone on here got in touch. A very very smooth deal, lots of honesty and trust involved. It's more or less all original apart from a single pickguard screw and the pots are changed, but you wouldn't know unless you were told, as they are CTS pots from 1970. I spent some time yesterday with it, tweaking it to my liking. Now sporting La Bella Low Tension Flats with a very nice low action. It has more definition and a bit more top end than my '73 (which is the most mellow P I've ever heard), and they complement each other perfectly. The rosewood board on this one is particularly dark, smooth and tight grained compared with the '73 too.

I'm a happy chappie. 

The upshot of this, is that I'll be selling my super lightweight '78 P bass soon if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Rob

IMG_3640.JPEG

IMG_3641.JPEG

IMG_3642.JPEG

IMG_3643.JPEG

• Like 21

1 minute ago, ossyrocks said:

NBD ! A 1970 Precision in very nice original condition. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was sniffing around for another early 70's P bass, and someone on here got in touch. A very very smooth deal, lots of honesty and trust involved. It's more or less all original apart from a single pickguard screw and the pots are changed, but you wouldn't know unless you were told, as they are CTS pots from 1970. I spent some time yesterday with it, tweaking it to my liking. Now sporting La Bella Low Tension Flats with a very nice low action. It has more definition and a bit more top end than my '73 (which is the most mellow P I've ever heard), and they complement each other perfectly. The rosewood board on this one is particularly dark, smooth and tight grained compared with the '73 too.

I'm a happy chappie. 

The upshot of this, is that I'll be selling my super lightweight '78 P bass soon if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Rob

IMG_3640.JPEG

IMG_3641.JPEG

IMG_3642.JPEG

IMG_3643.JPEG

I hope you have many years with this beauty Rob 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

That's very nice!

I'm considering letting go my trusty 1971 Precision to go for something older. However, prices have increased so much since I bought mine, I might have to dig pretty deep into my savings...

Prices have increased a lot since I bought my '73 too, probably by about £1k in two and a half years. I actually really like the early 70's basses. I don't want to go much earlier as I don't like the wider nut width.

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

I'm considering letting go my trusty 1971 Precision to go for something older

Out of interest what was you thinking of, I looked at some 60s ones and although they were really nice I couldn’t convince myself that I could live with the wider nut, I’ve got a 62RI Precision which i like, but it strangely feels better when I switch to my P with a B neck 

• Like 1

Yeah that's also a thing for me: my 71 has an A neck which I really like. I have a De Gier Soulmate which has a '62 width neck (I guess a C?) that is maybe a liiiittle bit to wide for me. Ideally I'd go for a 66 or 67 as they're my favourite Fender years :)

But...well...she is a stunner. And John Stirratt said she's amazing. So there's that.

b0uKUx1.jpg

Edited by BassAgent
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Yeah that's also a thing for me: my 71 has an A neck which I really like. I have a De Gier Soulmate which has a '62 width neck (I guess a C?) that is maybe a liiiittle bit to wide for me. Ideally I'd go for a 66 or 67 as they're my favourite Fender years :)

But...well...she is a stunner. And John Stirratt said she's amazing. So there's that.

b0uKUx1.jpg

That’s lovely , I have seen a 67 with a B neck, but they are so rare, if I see a sunburst one I’d be very tempted 

Spied this '78 with a A neck locally a couple of weeks ago. All the dates add up, cheeky offer of £300 off asking price was accepted. Nice example for well under £2k.IMG_20240715_022415.thumb.jpg.7a4c07cfb727b18f09dfa13386116d39.jpg

• Like 9