Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

29 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Fender parts are a mess in those years. There was just a big stock of parts they picked from.

The guy said that he bought ot in 1975 so do you go by the plate date or the pups, must have been a pick and mix assembly line  🤔

3 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

so do you go by the plate date or the pups

I base my assessments on the latest date for each of these, pot codes, neck stamp etc. Sometimes they are tightly spaced and other times they are all over the place. Fender, I guess

• Like 2

12 hours ago, briansbrew said:

The guy said that he bought ot in 1975 so do you go by the plate date or the pups, must have been a pick and mix assembly line  🤔

What people say and the reality can often get very mixed up. I’d discount almost anything a seller told me and use the latest part dates as a guide (as someone here suggested).

There’s little difference between a 75 and 76, but I know people have a preference for the larger Precision logo.

12 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

I base my assessments on the latest date for each of these, pot codes, neck stamp etc. Sometimes they are tightly spaced and other times they are all over the place. Fender, I guess

This is exactly what I do. My 1966 has a Jan 66 neck date, but May 66 pot dates. So for me, it's a May 66 bass.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

This is exactly what I do. My 1966 has a Jan 66 neck date, but May 66 pot dates. So for me, it's a May 66 bass.

That assumes the factory producing the pots delivered them to the factory in the same month they were manufactured, which is possible but unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

What people say and the reality can often get very mixed up. I’d discount almost anything a seller told me and use the latest part dates as a guide (as someone here suggested).

There’s little difference between a 75 and 76, but I know people have a preference for the larger Precision logo.

The guy I bought it from is local to me, he got it in London when he played in a band for 2 years and is living in Ireland for the last 30 odd years, he kept the bass in the case since he moved here and never played it. The bass is all original and has never been taken apart except by me when I got it and that's when I discovered the 76 dates on the the parts so he also went by the neck plate. Must ask him if he was sure it was purchased in 75 in Denmark street...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

The guy I bought it from is local to me, he got it in London when he played in a band for 2 years and is living in Ireland for the last 30 odd years, he kept the bass in the case since he moved here and never played it. The bass is all original and has never been taken apart except by me when I got it and that's when I discovered the 76 dates on the the parts so he also went by the neck plate. Must ask him if he was sure it was purchased in 75 in Denmark street...

It sounds wonderful and I think we’d all like to see it.

If you asked me when I bought my Barefaced 1x10 cab I’d have no idea, and that was a few years ago. 

6 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

That assumes the factory producing the pots delivered them to the factory in the same month they were manufactured, which is possible but unlikely. 

It does, but it's the best guess I have. It should be from the 1st half of 1966 (dots+binding, lollipop tuners), so I have no choice but to date it this way.

4 hours ago, BassAgent said:

It does, but it's the best guess I have. It should be from the 1st half of 1966 (dots+binding, lollipop tuners), so I have no choice but to date it this way.

I’m just joking around. 

7 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Even though you would be mainly paying for the neck alone this seems like a reasonable price *bitsa warning*

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/fender-hybrid-1

If that is indeed a '59 neck, shouldn't they be showing the evidence of that, and shouldn't it be priced for A LOT more money than that? 
I'm looking for a late 60's/early 70's rosewood board Jazz neck, and the ones I've seen are a lot more money than this '59 P neck.

Hmmm.

Edit: 40mm nut width??

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

2 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I'm missing the hole for the strapbutton on the back of the headstock. 

The price suggests it's a reissue and they are aware of that. They probably mean " '59 type neck". Though it wouldn't be correct with a 40mm nut anyway.

The ferrules seem to be missing ?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, peteb said:

He has a point but are they really that scarce? Andy Baxter has no problems keeping a good supply and there’s been a crazy influx of MM basses across his site and bassbros recently.