Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

17 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Yep, it’s definitely not an original neck, this is the heel. Wrong in every way. 

IMG_2517.jpeg

as a matter of interest what should the date stamp look like

31 minutes ago, dodgnofski said:

Original Nitrate Guard? Worth a small fortune on its own - in my humble opinion of course 👍

It looks like it’s original yeah, although normally there’s a bit more shrinkage. Tempted to have it for flats and keep rounds on the other 🤔 

1 hour ago, ped said:

I'm trying not to buy this at the moment https://reverb.com/uk/item/82944354-fender-mustang-bass-1966

£2880 isn't too bad, the only thing is that I'm not wild about tort

Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 14.55.48.png

You can have my pristine Squier with La Bella Mustang flats for a load less than that 😂

AC069E79-E7B7-46E3-9C7B-9BD253E4184D.thumb.jpeg.46312f35037c87c028b6fb4e6dcfcce5.jpeg

And I’ll swap the tort for whatever colour you like. And ding it up if you want. Collection only, mind. Beverages and scran provided in the deal though 👍

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

It looks like it’s original yeah, although normally there’s a bit more shrinkage. Tempted to have it for flats and keep rounds on the other 🤔 

Looks ‘opalescent’ enough to definitely be original to my old eyes plus there looks to be the right amount of shrinkage between the guard and the control plate for the age? and oh, those Lollipop tuners❤️❤️ 👍

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

IMG_2876.thumb.jpeg.357bc883d98c802189e358c0d897c3c7.jpeg

Wow, I have a receipt somewhere from when I p/x’d my 60’s Gibson EBO + a 60’s Mustang for a Jazz Bass around half a Century ago😳😳🙈🙈

44 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

IMG_2876.thumb.jpeg.357bc883d98c802189e358c0d897c3c7.jpeg

So, a 1961 precision for about 72p per week over less than two years? Bargain! (Unless it was an L prefix serial number in which case it would be a 1965. Still a bargain)

£97 would be about £2,220 in today’s money. 

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Velarian said:

So, a 1961 precision for about 72p per week over less than two years? Bargain! (Unless it was an L prefix serial number in which case it would be a 1965. Still a bargain)

That was a hefty down payment in 1967 for the average worker

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Velarian said:

I'm probably misunderstanding your comment but L serial number plates started being used in 1963.

6 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I'm probably misunderstanding your comment but L serial number plates started being used in 1963.

According to the serial number lookup I used (on Andy Baxter’s website), 59488 dates to 1961 whereas L59488 would place it in 1965. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Velarian said:

According to the serial number lookup I used (on Andy Baxter’s website), 59488 dates to 1961 whereas L59488 would place it in 1965. 

Ah, understood. There's no reason to suspect the L was left off the very detailed receipt or credit agreement, so probably a 1961. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If only it was refinished in natural with a nice grain, a tort guard, Spaghetti Logo, not so heavy, with the surface rust removed from the pickup guard and under £5K - I’d be all over that😂😂🙈🙈👍👍 

• Haha 2