Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

1 minute ago, briansbrew said:

I will know by Friday 😉

Look forward to seeing what you got 👍, I’ve been browsing early 70s jazz’s again lately myself but not many around with the maple and black blocks 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Look forward to seeing what you got 👍, I’ve been browsing early 70s jazz’s again lately myself but not many around with the maple and black blocks 

Its a nice Fender Jazz, maple board and an Ash body Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Looks like there’s a few going up for sale at the saleroom soon, haven’t had a proper look yet though 

IMG_1700.jpeg

I didn't know that site exists, wish I still didn't :( Perhaps I need to check my bank balance...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rwillett said:

I didn't know that site exists, wish I still didn't :( Perhaps I need to check my bank balance...

Go to the auction and bid in person. Commission is cheaper and it’s thoroughly enjoyable day out. 
You will come home with multiple instruments though, and not the ones you went to buy, so understanding spouse is essential.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Really like this, if it was in the uk I’d be having a look and play, 68 with a B neck, I think it would work out too much to import, I’ll try to post the link 

https://search.app/rKVQqHoJwn2aD5PA8

A very nice bass, and a very good price (if it was in the UK). The cost of import is prohibitive though I agree.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and question the "original case". In my mind, it should have a "tailed logo" in '68. They only dropped the tail in '72/73.

Rob

• Like 1

On 25/07/2024 at 20:24, BassAgent said:

Yeah that's also a thing for me: my 71 has an A neck which I really like. I have a De Gier Soulmate which has a '62 width neck (I guess a C?) that is maybe a liiiittle bit to wide for me. Ideally I'd go for a 66 or 67 as they're my favourite Fender years :)

But...well...she is a stunner. And John Stirratt said she's amazing. So there's that.

b0uKUx1.jpg

Well, I pulled the trigger of not selling this as it was my first (and so far only) proper vintage bass and I still like the neck and looks. I'm going to take it to my favourite vintage Fender wizard here in Amsterdam to have it set up.

@briansbrew I'm very very curious about the conclusion of your cliff hanger... Did the Jazz arrive in good shape?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I'm going to stick my neck out here and question the "original case". In my mind, it should have a "tailed logo" in '68. They only dropped the tail in '72/73

Yeah I noticed that too, I’m guessing it’s a 66/67 case , but you’re right you never know 

14 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Well, I pulled the trigger of not selling this as it was my first (and so far only) proper vintage bass and I still like the neck and looks. I'm going to take it to my favourite vintage Fender wizard here in Amsterdam to have it set up.

@briansbrew I'm very very curious about the conclusion of your cliff hanger... Did the Jazz arrive in good shape?

Its still in Limbo somewhere, now the shop is saying that they didnt get it. Thankfully Im covered if it goes missing....

51 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

A very nice bass, and a very good price (if it was in the UK). The cost of import is prohibitive though I agree.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and question the "original case". In my mind, it should have a "tailed logo" in '68. They only dropped the tail in '72/73.

Rob

The case could be a 67 as there is no small r above the R as in the ones after the tail was dropped...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briansbrew said:

The case could be a 67 as there is no small r above the R as in the ones after the tail was dropped...

That's interesting and useful info Brian, thanks. (loving the '70 P bass btw)

My knowledge of vintage Fender logos comes mainly from their amps, of which I've had many. On the amps, it was tailed logo until '72/73 and then no tail thereafter.

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briansbrew said:

Could you expand on this for the uninitiated please?

3 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Could you expand on this for the uninitiated please?

The fourth one down has the small r above the letter R, which was used from 72, the second one down doesn’t have it, that was used from 66

IMG_1702.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

i've a question for the fender experts. what neck profile was the early 70's fender p basses? I know the late 70's p bass neck profile had thinner nut of around 40mm and more chunky dept. 

The ones I’ve had experience with and my 71P are 40mm nut and slim from front to back, I’d say probably very slightly deeper than my jazzes, very comfortable indeed 

• Like 1