Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

The ones I’ve had experience with and my 71P are 40mm nut and slim from front to back, I’d say probably very slightly deeper than my jazzes, very comfortable indeed 

cheers for the info. I always wondered what the difference was other than late 70’s mostly being ash bodies. I’ll have to give one a try some day. 

At the misses in east London. She plays piano and we jamming to

Sweet love by Anita baker. Freddie Washington played bass which was an early 70’s fender p. 

Edited by soulstar89
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

cheers for the info. I always wondered what the difference was other than late 70’s mostly being ash bodies. I’ll have to give one a try some day. 

At the misses in east London. She plays piano and we jamming to

Sweet love by Anita baker. Freddie Washington played bass which was an early 70’s fender p. 

I currently have 3 70's P basses. They are all around 41mm  nut width. My 70, and 73 are very similar profile, my ideal profile in fact, and feel just great in the hand. They are 22mm front to back at the first fret. The 78 is slightly bigger at 23mm, but it does in fact feel like more then that. It does feel bigger.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

A sunburst 73 I believe, wonderful player 

Yes 73. His a AMAZING player. Pino, Freddie and paul Jackson are my fav players. All p bass players. I love the tone of paul and Freddie. A large part of it I presume is due to the Bartolini pickups. Love Bart pickups 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I currently have 3 70's P basses. They are all around 41mm  nut width. My 70, and 73 are very similar profile, my ideal profile in fact, and feel just great in the hand. They are 22mm front to back at the first fret. The 78 is slightly bigger at 23mm, but it does in fact feel like more then that. It does feel bigger.

Rob You had me running for the Vernier and my 75 is 22mm and the 78 is 23mm front to back and you can feel the difference..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

how interesting that a slight difference in depth can make a neck feel different. 

when I was in the phase of getting the exact bass paul Jackson used (cringe at myself) I was only looking at a late 70’s fender. I found an early 70’s but didn’t want it as it wasn’t the same specs. 🙈😩. Rather embarrassing tbh lol

Edited by soulstar89
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

how interesting that a slight difference in depth can make a neck feel different. 

when I was in the phase of getting the exact bass paul Jackson used (cringe at myself) I was only looking at a late 70’s fender. I found an early 70’s but didn’t want it as it wasn’t the same specs. 🙈😩. Rather embarrassing tbh lol

It does feel more different than the dimensions would indicate. My two early 70’s feel quite slender, and the 78 feels fuller, even though it’s only 1mm different front to back. It could also be the profile, the 78 could have a bit more shoulder, although I haven’t directly compared this. The 78 is the lightest of the bunch though at only 8lbs 9oz, so it’s a delight to play. 

Rob

53 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Rob You had me running for the Vernier and my 75 is 22mm and the 78 is 23mm front to back and you can feel the difference..

It’s the Princess and the Pea, in bass context.

6 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Hi Folks, looking at this 73 Jazz for sale and I am looking at the rout on the bridge pickup, does it look right. 

IMG_3393.thumb.png.4454f30093fdcfa2eee7abd101e8fd63.pngIMG_3394.thumb.jpeg.9545e942868d852f8c0e4f0a9f999db0.jpeg

No, it's rounded like some of the Jap basses of the 70's/80's. Never seen a Fender with those?

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Never seen that before myself and I look at a lot of 68-73 jazzes , is the neck one the same if there’s a picture 

Ive just sent him a message about it and to see if he can send me more detailed pics, seen a lot of old Fenders myself and have never come across this before

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briansbrew said:

Hi Folks, looking at this 73 Jazz for sale and I am looking at the rout on the bridge pickup, does it look right. 

IMG_3393.thumb.png.4454f30093fdcfa2eee7abd101e8fd63.pngIMG_3394.thumb.jpeg.9545e942868d852f8c0e4f0a9f999db0.jpeg

Hi Brian, I have an all original '73 Jazz, the rout on mine is not rounded like that. I think you'd need a lot more detail pics of the body disassembled to determine if it was right or not. Things like this do make me twitch. I'll try to post a pic of mine.

Rob 

1973-Fender-Jazz-Bass-3TSB-Rosewood-13.jpg

The sunburst on that body is all shades of wrong for a Fender of that period. They have my brighter red in them. Could have been sun bleached of course but it doesn’t look right to me.

-Edit- after looking a bit more closely it looks better than I thought. May just be a very light paint job and the route there may have been an aftermarket pickup that’s now been put right again.

Edited by Burns-bass

59 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Hi Brian, I have an all original '73 Jazz, the rout on mine is not rounded like that. I think you'd need a lot more detail pics of the body disassembled to determine if it was right or not. Things like this do make me twitch. I'll try to post a pic of mine.

Rob 

1973-Fender-Jazz-Bass-3TSB-Rosewood-13.jpg

Thanks Rob, Hopefully he gets back with some detailed pics..

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

The sunburst on that body is all shades of wrong for a Fender of that period. They have my brighter red in them. Could have been sun bleached of course but it doesn’t look right to me.

Sun-bleached.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

The back end of it

IMG_3397.thumb.jpeg.b09e6db1b745122e0bd5f2558d1b9131.jpeg

Looks correct to me, it's usual that the red fades/disappears especially when it's been in the sunlight. 

• Like 1