Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

2 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I thought this. Wasn't uncommon for pickups to be replaced in that era and some will need the extra space.

Indeed. This is my ‘73 Jazz. The original owner (who sold it to me in the early 80s) had already changed the p/ups and had cream coloured DiMarzios fitted by the time I had it. As was the thing at the time I then decided that having EMGs installed would be the game changer that would obviously elevate my playing to another level (it really didn’t, though the bass sounded great!).

Whilst the routing isn’t quite as rounded as Brian’s example, it’s still a world away from what it would have been originally…  

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I thought this. Wasn't uncommon for pickups to be replaced in that era and some will need the extra space.

Simplest answer is usually the right one. Someone probably swapped out the pickups and did a DIY job (or sent it to a luthier) and then put it back to stock at some point. You could tell a bit more about that by the soldering probably. 

23 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I then decided that having EMGs installed would be the game changer that would obviously elevate my playing to another level (it really didn’t, .........

We have all been there.

• Like 3

Here's my Fender Jazz Bass, it's a 65 body with original pots, pickups, and bridge, pick guard is a new one, same spec as the original one. It has a 69 neck on it with original 69 tuners, the truss rod was knackered, so had to have a new two-way one installed by luthier Bryan Eastwood and his son from Bacup, near Manchester, its been stripped back to bare wood at some point. It sounds amazing and plays really nicely, one of the guys from Bass brothers in Leamington Spar had a quick go, when he picked another bass up from me, and said it played great, and the neck was exceptional.

436544316_1354300122627762_6269043520445039915_n.jpg

438159152_981284950048850_3143821164631738490_n.jpg

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Brass nut? Check.

Schaller bridge? Check.

EMGs? Check

Welcome to 1980s bass mods! No instrument too good to devalue, no money too hard earned to waste (though the EMGs were ace)!

I KNEW that the Baddass bridge was going to revolutionise not only my playing but my life.

Yeah :)

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Wasn't all this because we all thought the Fender quality control was 'not very good'?

In my experience it was less about Fender QC at the time and more about there being a different narrative around basses (active p/ups etc.) and the opportunity to mod basses in a fairly straightforward way off the shelf. There was a lot of talk about sustain, and how a brass nut and a high mass bridge would lead to a note lingering around for days (“the sustain, listen to it”). I had an early Fender Squier P bass, which was then modded with a brass nut, Schaller bridge and EMG p/ups, which, quite honestly, I couldn’t really tell if it sounded better before or after! 

Would’ve been better off buying a Westone!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

In my experience it was less about Fender QC at the time and more about there being a different narrative around basses (active p/ups etc.) and the opportunity to mod basses in a fairly straightforward way off the shelf. There was a lot of talk about sustain, and how a brass nut and a high mass bridge would lead to a note lingering around for days (“the sustain, listen to it”). I had an early Fender Squier P bass, which was then modded with a brass nut, Schaller bridge and EMG p/ups, which, quite honestly, I couldn’t really tell if it sounded better before or after! 

Would’ve been better off buying a Westone!

I dunno about that, but its true that back in the early 80s, we all had 70s Fenders that we modded and swapped out bridges, pickups, etc. I remember seeing an interview with Rick Wills (Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Roxy Music, Dave Gilmour, etc) on some YouTube bass channel where he and the guy interviewing him agreed that you couldn't really say that a Fender was 'yours' untill you had taken a screwdriver to it or modded it in some way!

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

I too remember when modding old (although they weren't that old at the time) Fender basses was de rigueur. It was mainly because Fender basses were deemed to be outmoded by more modern designs with active EQ, heavy brass bridges, exotic woods etc. It took a while before someone actually played a stock Fender and said "Hang on a minute, this sounds alright as it is!"

Funny thing is, I also remember back in the 1980s it seemed a lot harder to find nice Fender basses than nowadays. Jazz Basses in particular were in very short supply. When I first went to the USA in the mid-1980s the abundance of used Fender basses was a revelation. They weren't particularly cheap, but there was plenty of choice. I know the internet has helped concentrate the marketplace, but even allowing for that it was much harder to locate used Fender basses in the 1980s. So many vintage  Fenders seem to have surfaced subsequently I'd like to know where they were hiding!

• Like 1

The problem you might have here is a private seller trying to get back the same price they paid at BassBros.

I appreciate people always do this. But you have to remember someone sold it to BassBros substantially cheaper (I’d estimate about £2000 - £2200) which probably more accurately reflects its private market value.

If you want to know how the vintage market is, try selling a vintage guitar back to the shop you bought it from. In most cases they’re not interested. Funny that… 

If you can get this at a good price and it plays well I can’t see you losing out.

12 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

The problem you might have here is a private seller trying to get back the same price they paid at BassBros.

I appreciate people always do this. But you have to remember someone sold it to BassBros substantially cheaper (I’d estimate about £2000 - £2200) which probably more accurately reflects its private market value.

If you want to know how the vintage market is, try selling a vintage guitar back to the shop you bought it from. In most cases they’re not interested. Funny that… 

If you can get this at a good price and it plays well I can’t see you losing out.

Totally agree, the chap is trying to get back what he paid retail, the shops profit added to what they paid for it initially, I don’t want to be victim that pays the profit as it will be very hard to get back if I decided to sell it on down the line.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Totally agree, the chap is trying to get back what he paid retail, the shops profit added to what they paid for it initially, I don’t want to be victim that pays the profit as it will be very hard to get back if I decided to sell it on down the line.  

Unfortunately 2/3 of whatever they’re asking for is what BB will have paid imo. As stated above no way you buy anything from a shop, use it and sell it for the same money

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1

When I was selling my '87 PB-62, which I bought from Bass Bros, it was for sale on here for a while. 

Will did contact me and made me a very fair offer to buy it back. I thanked him and said I would bear it mind if it didn't sell. In the end I sold it for just £100 more than Will's offer.

Rob

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

When I was selling my '87 PB-62, which I bought from Bass Bros, it was for sale on here for a while. 

Will did contact me and made me a very fair offer to buy it back. I thanked him and said I would bear it mind if it didn't sell. In the end I sold it for just £100 more than Will's offer.

Rob

I didn’t know that Will buys from the classifieds here but it makes sense.