Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

23 hours ago, walshy said:

Unfortunately 2/3 of whatever they’re asking for is what BB will have paid imo. As stated above no way you buy anything from a shop, use it and sell it for the same money

£1800 give or take? That’s what I reckoned too.

9 hours ago, briansbrew said:

Yep, he contacted me about one I was selling a few weeks back..

I’m not sure how I feel about that. I wanted to buy a well priced Xotic bass here that ended up a lot higher priced on BassBros. A lot of the deals here are because people have invested in and feel part of a community. 

I guess it’s morally no different from individuals who engage in guitar flipping. Not a business I’d want to get into…

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I’m not sure how I feel about that. I wanted to buy a well priced Xotic bass here that ended up a lot higher priced on BassBros. A lot of the deals here are because people have invested in and feel part of a community. 

I guess it’s morally no different from individuals who engage in guitar flipping. Not a business I’d want to get into…

Agreed Lawrie, although you might be surprised just how many members here are systematically doing exactly the same, buy on here then sell elsewhere immediately and at a significantly inflated price. I don’t have a problem with people who are openly dealing, but I find myself feeling less than charitable towards those pretending not to be 👍

• Like 2

buys here, on reverb, on Ebay, marketplace wherever he can find instruments that will sell and can be had cheap enough they make a little mark up; quite a few instruments I was saving for or waiting to get paid in order to afford have sold whilst I was watching them and then reappear on their website for a couple of hundred more, its about having the capital to invest, the same as the flippers do, which helps inflate used prices and create its own demand, and in turn allows the manufacturers to inflate their prices against the relative perceived 'value', then buyers looking for value for money are competing in the used market, which....circular price inflation model.

Used guitar prices have dropped a bit because so much for sale, and manufacturers now making fewer instruments to minimise 'value' drop, concentrating on special, limited edition etc. but basses seem to be somewhat resistant because there are less of them, even with 1500+ used basses on the market in the UK on most platforms, which is a 40-50% increase in availability compared to a few years ago, sellers are still in many cases asking top dollar because they are pricing against the inflated new prices

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

buys here, on reverb, on Ebay, marketplace wherever he can find instruments that will sell and can be had cheap enough they make a little mark up; quite a few instruments I was saving for or waiting to get paid in order to afford have sold whilst I was watching them and then reappear on their website for a couple of hundred more, its about having the capital to invest, the same as the flippers do, which helps inflate used prices and create its own demand, and in turn allows the manufacturers to inflate their prices against the relative perceived 'value', then buyers looking for value for money are competing in the used market, which....circular price inflation model.

Used guitar prices have dropped a bit because so much for sale, and manufacturers now making fewer instruments to minimise 'value' drop, concentrating on special, limited edition etc. but basses seem to be somewhat resistant because there are less of them, even with 1500+ used basses on the market in the UK on most platforms, which is a 40-50% increase in availability compared to a few years ago, sellers are still in many cases asking top dollar because they are pricing against the inflated new prices

Sad business in a way. But I guess it’s the modern world.

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I suppose there’s also the possibility that someone bought it on here in good faith, realised it wasn’t for them and traded it in for something at Bass Bros? I did similar with a vintage bass on here that I had for a few months and didn’t properly get on with, and ended up ‘trading up’ for a more expensive bass at Andy Baxter.

Having said that, I can’t recall ever making a profit on any instrument I’ve moved on, so am probably not in the best position to comment! 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I suppose there’s also the possibility that someone bought it on here in good faith, realised it wasn’t for them and traded it in for something at Bass Bros? I did similar with a vintage bass on here that I had for a few months and didn’t properly get on with, and ended up ‘trading up’ for a more expensive bass at Andy Baxter.

Having said that, I can’t recall ever making a profit on any instrument I’ve moved on, so am probably not in the best position to comment! 

Absolutely. Given what Brian has said, however, I’m guessing it’s been bought here at a knock down price and sold higher. That would be OK if they were contributing to the forum, sharing knowledge and insights - but they’re not. It’s just using access to cash to pick up cheap basses and make a profit.

Again, that’s cool if that’s how you want to live. What it will do is stop me selling basses cheap here as the risk is that someone will do just that - buy cheap and make a few hundred quid immediately.

I messaged Chris late last week as I have a late 70s Grabber bass I bought for an incredible price on here. I’d happily sell it here for the same price I bought it for, but I’d be gutted if some dealer picked it up and turned it round a £1000 more expensive (which is what we’re talking about here). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Absolutely. Given what Brian has said, however, I’m guessing it’s been bought here at a knock down price and sold higher. That would be OK if they were contributing to the forum, sharing knowledge and insights - but they’re not. It’s just using access to cash to pick up cheap basses and make a profit.

Again, that’s cool if that’s how you want to live. What it will do is stop me selling basses cheap here as the risk is that someone will do just that - buy cheap and make a few hundred quid immediately.

I messaged Chris late last week as I have a late 70s Grabber bass I bought for an incredible price on here. I’d happily sell it here for the same price I bought it for, but I’d be gutted if some dealer picked it up and turned it round a £1000 more expensive (which is what we’re talking about here). 

It’d be less murky if the retailer/ dealer disclosed themselves as such through a commercial account, which I know did exist previously, and then it is up to the seller if they’re happy to sell to a retailer. But you’d be relying on honesty and I guess most would just setup a free account and use that instead.

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Completely understand and agree.

In my experience, I’ve found there to be a real sense of community on here, especially prevalent in the marketplace. Other than one very rare occasion, my experience of buying/selling on BC has been overwhelmingly positive. I’ve been genuinely touched over time by people’s generosity and community spirit. It’s a real shame if contributors such as yourself are now reluctant to sell due to the potential that the purchaser’s sole motivation is to make a fast buck, but I completely understand your reluctance.

I’m of the view that most people’s intentions are positive, and if not, well, it’s on them…

Anyway, not to derail the thread any further… what’s the best/worst vintage Fender you’ve ever played?!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

It’d be less murky if the retailer/ dealer disclosed themselves as such through a commercial account, which I know did exist previously, and then it is up to the seller if they’re happy to sell to a retailer. But you’d be relying on honesty and I guess most would just setup a free account and use that instead.

Agreed, Paul @walshy bought a Modulus Flea from me a while back, sold it on and had the extraordinary decency to not only tell me he was going to do so but to send me, in cash, the difference. Walshy also plays a very act role in the community and has on many occasions helped me and other out with purchases etc, in fact he was only last week hunting down a very specific instrument for me, you'll never guess what......... :) 

There's a few others on here I won't name who do not work that way sadly :(

I was tempted a while back to start a thread listing basses sold on BC that are a) now for sale at an inflated price and b) not for sale on BC, the main issue for me being less the inflated price-tag but the fact that the new owner is often trying to hide the mark-up by not selling it on BC and thereby opening themselves up to comment in the thread. I thought better of it as I imagine it would have been locked within days, but as Lawrie @Burns-bass  says above, all that happens in price inflation which does no-one but the dealers any favours.

Still, it would have been fun to point out some of the bullshit, the 'my trusty old Precision' bollocks about an instrument they've owned for less than a week and possibly never even played :)  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

Agreed, Paul @walshy bought a Modulus Flea from me a while back, sold it on and had the extraordinary decency to not only tell me he was going to do so but to send me, in cash, the difference. Walshy also plays a very act role in the community and has on many occasions helped me and other out with purchases etc, in fact he was only last week hunting down a very specific instrument for me, you'll never guess what......... :) 

There's a few others on here I won't name who do not work that way sadly :(

I was tempted a while back to start a thread listing basses sold on BC that are a) now for sale at an inflated price and b) not for sale on BC, the main issue for me being less the inflated price-tag but the fact that the new owner is often trying to hide the mark-up by not selling it on BC and thereby opening themselves up to comment in the thread. I thought better of it as I imagine it would have been locked within days, but as Lawrie @Burns-bass  says above, all that happens in price inflation which does no-one but the dealers any favours.

Still, it would have been fun to point out some of the bullshit, the 'my trusty old Precision' bollocks about an instrument they've owned for less than a week and possibly never even played :)  

Yeah thanks mate and what a bass! I think it's the done thing tbh, especially on here as everyone is kinda mates. I think paying the difference on that was profit was the right call.  I mean I run Vintage Bass Room as more of a business now than a side hustle, although still not full time and hope that I contribute to the forum too. I did also pay the rather large commercial fee last year to sell things on here, which I didn't mind at the time as long as we all did, the fee was quite large but if it goes towards the running of the site then I am all for that. Unfortunately I don't think it was followed up/difficult to police so I guess fell by the wayside this year. 

I think we are all aware some of the bigger retailer/bass places regularly scoop stuff up on here and it goes online at a much larger fee as you say, I guess thats the way they run their businesses which is par for the course I guess. Ive even talked people down on the commission I would charge if it sells as they're mates 🤣 Maybe im running it all wrong after all 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, walshy said:

Yeah thanks mate and what a bass! I think it's the done thing tbh, especially on here as everyone is kinda mates. I think paying the difference on that was profit was the right call.  I mean I run Vintage Bass Room as more of a business now than a side hustle, although still not full time and hope that I contribute to the forum too. I did also pay the rather large commercial fee last year to sell things on here, which I didn't mind at the time as long as we all did, the fee was quite large but if it goes towards the running of the site then I am all for that. Unfortunately I don't think it was followed up/difficult to police so I guess fell by the wayside this year. 

I think we are all aware some of the bigger retailer/bass places regularly scoop stuff up on here and it goes online at a much larger fee as you say, I guess thats the way they run their businesses which is par for the course I guess. Ive even talked people down on the commission I would charge if it sells as they're mates 🤣 Maybe im running it all wrong after all 🤣

But the very slight upside for you is that if I ever have the cash for a good bass, I’ll know exactly where to come to for a sensible deal. 

• Like 2

Hi guys

We don't really buy directly from Basschat, we have in the past but usually only if it's something we've had before/know the person and we offer if they have any problems selling. Believe me it's not predatory, as a certain few of you guys seem to think it is 😅

Almost every day we get offered stuff that people are trying to sell on here with no luck. That's what generally happens, people can't sell here so they look at other options which is fair enough and completely up to the seller. As we can offer px deals on lots of stuff, etc so it can make life easier. I hope that clears it up!

Will - Bassbros

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Willfunk said:

Hi guys

We don't really buy directly from Basschat, we have in the past but usually only if it's something we've had before/know the person and we offer if they have any problems selling. Believe me it's not predatory, as a certain few of you guys seem to think it is 😅

Almost every day we get offered stuff that people are trying to sell on here with no luck. That's what generally happens, people can't sell here so they look at other options which is fair enough and completely up to the seller. As we can offer px deals on lots of stuff, etc so it can make life easier. I hope that clears it up!

Will - Bassbros

Thanks Will, appreciate the response 🙏

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Must be one of the most expensive precisions I’ve seen, and I’ve never heard of Shellback, looks nice though 

IMG_0869.jpeg

Must be late 59 to have tortoiseshell p/g and rosewood board. Looks very 60s to me. Never heard of Shellback either so they need to drop that price by £53k!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Must be late 59 to have tortoiseshell p/g and rosewood board. Looks very 60s to me. Never heard of Shellback either so they need to drop that price by £53k!

I also thought the first tort guards had 11 screws and not 13 , but could be wrong