Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Three experiences with vintage dealers over the years - these are dedicated vintage-focused operators, rather than someone stocking vintage basses as part of a broader offering.

A ‘62 Precision sold with a split in the fretboard at the first fret - “it’s just the grain”. It turned out that there was a problem with the truss rod, and the fretboard had fractured.

A ‘64 Jazz that had a protruding fret - “we’ll just our tech to tap it down, no problem”. It turned out there were larger neck problems and the fretboard had previously been repaired. 
A ‘62 Precision being sold as “completely original”. I asked for the store to provide images of the neck/date stamp and any other dating examples (body etc.). “No way. It’s never been taken apart and I’m not disturbing it now”. Bearing in mind the same operator had previously sold a guitar to someone I know which was returned/refunded due to there being ‘inconsistencies’ with the description, and what was modded and what wasn’t.

If I ever were in the market for a vintage instrument again the only people I would deal with would be Andy Baxter and David Pym, though I’m not sure the latter is still involved in selling instruments.

It’s such a minefield, and to echo what Burns Bass has said, the more navel gazing done on here and knowledge/experiences shared (even if sometimes we don’t always get it right!) the better…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Thanks @Woodinblack re the above more than one of your fellow mods were/are aware 👍

Mods can't see the same low level stuff that admins get to see though, so it is trickier there. And regardless to what others do, I try and get rid of that sort of stuff if I know about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Yes, I had a couple of old Fenders bought from two different dealers and neither was interested in taking them back as a P/X or buy them back. Personally, that rang a few alarm bells, but perhaps they were struggling with cashflow.

Either way, none of those basses lives here anymore. The 66 is still in its case and never gets paid either, I just can't part with it given how much of me it took to buy it. Maybe I should start using it again.

Probably they are too embarrased to offer a low ball price Lawrie after making a profit from it initially...

I've done the vintage Fender thing. Owned a 1953 and an original 1966 slab, as well as a bunch of others. My conclusion? Just don't bother.

If you want an investment then fine, but I own instruments (now) that would cost you 10% of a pre-CBS Precision, and are every bit as good (IMHO, obviously).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bakerster135 said:

I could bore you to death with what I know about Fender decals, mainly gained from personal experience, but this Talkbass thread is pretty accurate for reference https://www.talkbass.com/threads/vintage-fender-decals-who-really-knows-the-facts.902851/

I’m similar with early jazzes and precision’s, I’ve studied them in great detail to quite a nerdy boring degree  😁, I find them fascinating, and the strange thing is that whenever I’m buying one I always ask a few people to take a look and give me their opinions and they always notice something that that I’ve missed , talkbass can be a good source of information too but I don’t visit there much these days 

Regarding vintage basses, I've had good experiences with ATB Guitars, Bass Bros, @briansbrew and @CHRISDABASS. @walshy has also been a star, sending me vintage parts for nothing and doing a deal on a couple of more recent basses.

Anyway, the reason for this post, look at this '69 Jazz that Bassbros have just got in. It's absolutely minty!

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1969-fender-jazz-bass/

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ooohhh, that is a nice Jazz. Gosh, oh my gosh and what appears to be a good price as well.

I have a gorgeous telescope that is worth close to that. I would use this more than the scope as well. Anybody interested in a mint TMB 4" refractor? Possibly the finest 4" in the world.

Rob

58 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Anyway, the reason for this post, look at this '69 Jazz that Bassbros have just got in. It's absolutely minty!

I saw that one, very nice and I’d say probably one of the best he’s had , it’s in great condition, I’m seriously attracted to this and might have to have a chat with Andy 

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/products/1968-fender-precision-bass-sunburst-2

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Regarding vintage basses, I've had good experiences with ATB Guitars, Bass Bros, @briansbrew and @CHRISDABASS. @walshy has also been a star, sending me vintage parts for nothing and doing a deal on a couple of more recent basses.

Rob

Aye, Walshy’s great to deal with…

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I saw that one, very nice and I’d say probably one of the best he’s had , it’s in great condition, I’m seriously attracted to this and might have to have a chat with Andy 

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/products/1968-fender-precision-bass-sunburst-2

That's a lovely bass Tony. Have a chat with Andy, you only live once!

The condition is similar to the '70 Precision I recently got from @briansbrew on here, and which is proving to be a massive hit with me and my band (thanks Brian!). It is interesting how each of my P basses sound so different from each other too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

That's a lovely bass Tony. Have a chat with Andy, you only live once!

The condition is similar to the '70 Precision I recently got from @briansbrew on here, and which is proving to be a massive hit with me and my band (thanks Brian!). It is interesting how each of my P basses sound so different from each other too. 

Your welcome Rob, glad its turned out well for you and the band...

7 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Fender QC strikes again 😆

To be fair, I don't think I've ever had a bass or guitar of the same model sound the same as the last. Every 335 I've had has been different, the two I have now are very different. The two strats I have are very different. It's just how these things are.

BTW, all of the P basses sound great, just different.

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

To be fair, I don't think I've ever had a bass or guitar of the same model sound the same as the last. Every 335 I've had has been different, the two I have now are very different. The two strats I have are very different. It's just how these things are.

BTW, all of the P basses sound great, just different.

Never take me too seriously 👌

• Like 1