Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

6 minutes ago, Beedster said:

It does feel very 60’s, far more like a ‘69 I used to own than my old ‘73

That sounds like the feel my '71 has. It's getting some love and care by my favourite vintage Fender repair guy her in Amsterdam, can't wait to have it back again. I think, because of the pickguard, my bass might have started its life like yours.

u9rL2MZ.jpg

Edited by BassAgent
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

That sounds like the feel my '71 has. It's getting some love and care by my favourite vintage Fender repair guy her in Amsterdam, can't wait to have it back again. I think, because of the pickguard, my bass might have started its life like yours.

u9rL2MZ.jpg

There is this 60’s = magical/enigmatic/craftmanship versus 70’s = poor QC/heavy/lottery thing, I’m guessing early 70’s has more in keeping with the former than the latter 👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beedster said:

There is this 60’s = magical/enigmatic/craftmanship versus 70’s = poor QC/heavy/lottery thing, I’m guessing early 70’s has more in keeping with the former than the latter 👍

Neck’s coming off mine tomorrow just to check it isn’t in fact a ‘63 😆

35 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Absolutely. For me, the best patch is 66 to 73/4. Wonderful B profile necks and tort plates. No silly pre-CBS price tag either.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Absolutely. For me, the best patch is 66 to 73/4. Wonderful B profile necks and tort plates. No silly pre-CBS price tag either.

Well that's just a kick in the teeth for someone who has one from 1964 and two from 1975. I'd imagine.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mowf said:

Well that's just a kick in the teeth for someone who has one from 1964 and two from 1975. I'd imagine.

Sell the '64 and buy two 71's with the proceeds. Problem solved :) 

'75 goes to a charity shop 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Beedster said:

Ah, excellent plan, thanks. That was almost embarrassing.

I think I'll just leave the '75s out for the bin men, save the charity shops the trouble of trying to offload them.

2 minutes ago, mowf said:

Ah, excellent plan, thanks. That was almost embarrassing.

I think I'll just leave the '75s out for the bin men, save the charity shops the trouble of trying to offload them.

Glad I could be of service 👍

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Just remind me again where you live and which day is bin day please?

• Haha 2

The late 60's/early 70's is where it's at for me with P basses. I don't want the wider 44mm nut of the earlier ones, and I much prefer the tort guard aesthetic of pre '74/'75. 

My two, a '70 and a '73, are both sunburst/rosewood/tort, and the necks are simply sublime. They are a joy to play. And because they don't have the huge price tag of the early 60's basses, I don't mind playing them down the Dog & Duck.

I do have a '78, which sounds good too and is light as a feather, but the neck is just that bit bigger (deeper), so it gets less playtime than the other two. I'm hanging on to that one and I'm considering the heretic action of putting a Jazz neck on it just because!

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Being an owner of 66 J, 70 J and 71 P and currently in the middle of selling a 73 J for an acquaintance (I always forget how to spell that): totally agree. 
IMG_3708.thumb.jpeg.31c2ba3bd1d112cc00351ba2359c8d8f.jpeg

🥰

Edited by BassAgent
  • Like 1