Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

4 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

£3k isn't BIN though it's an auction. Either way, it's probably ballpark price for a '72 in the current climate, and I won't be surprised to see it sitting there a while as nothing in either the images or the description grabs potential buyers? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

If it all checks out and with the original case 3k is a very good price , my guess is this will disappear soon where someone will make them an offer 

No photo of the case, pretty poor photos of the instrument (SN unclear for example), collection only? But hey, you may well be right, either way, time will tell mate 👍  

• Like 1

Just now, Beedster said:

No photo of the case, pretty poor photos of the instrument (SN unclear for example), collection only? But hey, you may well be right, either way, time will tell mate 👍  

Yeah it’s not the best advert is it, and having to ask for all the necessary pictures can be a pain 

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah it’s not the best advert is it, and having to ask for all the necessary pictures can be a pain 

When I was looking to buy my current '70s Precision I looked at a lot of similarly poorly described instruments on eBay and Reverb and on far too many occasions the seller was either unhelpful, clueless, or both (all the old classics were there in force; for example "I'm not going to take it apart, but I know it'a all original because the bloke who sold it to me said it was..."). I guess I now look at poorly photographed and poorly described basses and know what to expect :( 

• Like 3

On 29/09/2024 at 21:59, ossyrocks said:

I have a bass that goes against the "all late 70's Fenders were boat anchors" philosophy.

My '78/79 Precision is 8lbs 9oz, and the lightest bass I own.

Rob 

I had a similar 70s Precision, think it was a 78, very light indeed - another in the list of those I shouldn`t have moved on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

If it all checks out and with the original case 3k is a very good price , my guess is this will disappear soon where someone will make them an offer 

Is that a good price now for a P bass? I’ve not been following them very closely recently but feels a lot for a private seller to me. I definitely wouldn’t be risking that sort of money, especially if I couldn’t take it apart first.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2024 at 21:59, ossyrocks said:

I have a bass that goes against the "all late 70's Fenders were boat anchors" philosophy.

My '78/79 Precision is 8lbs 9oz, and the lightest bass I own.

Rob 

It's pretty random from my experience, as the weight of that northern ash that they used can vary dramatically. For example, my 74 Jazz weighs 9.1lbs and my 75 weighs 12.6lbs!... 

Edited by bakerster135

43 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Is that a good price now for a P bass? I’ve not been following them very closely recently but feels a lot for a private seller to me. I definitely wouldn’t be risking that sort of money, especially if I couldn’t take it apart first.

If it’s all original with the OHSC I’d say it’s a good price, I haven’t seen a 72 under £3500 for quite a while, and yeah I wouldn’t risk it without checking it out first too 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

If it’s all original with the OHSC I’d say it’s a good price, I haven’t seen a 72 under £3500 for quite a while, and yeah I wouldn’t risk it without checking it out first too 

@OliverBlackman, I agree with Tony. There's quite a few of us on here who really like early 70's Precisions, and a few of us have bought over the last few years. The '70 I bought recently was quite a lot more than £3k, but it is in really really good condition. If I was in the market, and I could verify the originality of the bass by having it in hand and taking it apart, I would consider £3.5k to be very fair. If it was with a dealer, it would be more like £4k I think.

Rob

• Like 1

It’s a surprise to me the P bass prices have caught up as there was previously a discount compared to Jazz bass equivalents (more what I follow). There’s a 74 jazz at Andy Baxter for just £3.5k even if the case isn’t original.
Of course condition is important to price and there have been some near minters come on the market this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

But…….

What they’re listed for and what they sell for are not always the same.

IMO I paid over the odds for my ‘73 at £4k inc OHSC. £3k of that was logic, the last £1k was emotion, because it very much ticked every box I have re finish/mojo/wear/board etc. Buying from an established and trusted business also brought some extra cost but that coat bought extra security to the transaction. No way I’d go £3,500 on that ‘72 without a LOT of initial affection for the instrument backed up by a lot of evidence and assurances from the seller. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Beedster said:

Lovely to gig an old bass 👍

I have been very negative about vintage basses here, and I still don't buy that they're all good. But there is something in this one you simply don't get with new ones.

I will admit I was wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I have been very negative about vintage basses here, and I still don't buy that they're all good. But there is something in this one you simply don't get with new ones.

I will admit I was wrong.

I gigged my '73 the other night, and couldn't escape the sense that it really did sound better than the more recent instruments I've tended to gig. Couple of comments along the lines 'That bass looks like it could tell a story or two' also, which is always nice. Funny to think it probably did it's first gig before the World had heard of Springsteen......

• Like 1