Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

East London Hackney and sometimes Essex 

Played rugby on Hackney Marshes for 10 years and all round Essex.

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Walworth Road - I used to rehearse in a studio down there (forty years ago)! 

I moved to just off Railton Road in 1988, small garden flat in Milton Road, used to head up and down the Walworth Road to E&C and beyond.

Those were the days of £50K flats and a decent curry in Tooting for £4.

Rob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rwillett said:

I look forward to my invitation to your man-shed. I'll bring tea and biscuits :)

4 hours ago, peteb said:

You will be pretty much passing my gaff on the way down. I will bring some Pastéis de Natas! 

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

The king of cakes!

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Might as well pick me up too if we’re talking cakes and biscuits 😁

2 hours ago, rwillett said:

@Reggaebass are you sarf east London? I recall Walworth Road and you for some reason.

I'll book a minibus...

A road trip with Pasteis de Natas, love it :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

The comparison was that modern amps/ speakers are probably better yet older gear is still collectible. Because a lot of parts are required to be replaced (tubes/ speakers) I can only guess it is for image qualities.

If anyone has a B15 and wants to enlighten me, I’ll likely have to fly from my current area.

I think that while there is a significant psychological component (nostalgia/association/mystique/status) there can be no doubt that playing through a well-maintained 1960's B-15 is a special thing. There is just something magical in the combination of voicing, tone, responsiveness, size, and convenience of a B-15 that is unique among bass amps with the exception of those that aim to emulate those very qualities (like the reissues or my Ashdown Drophead). More importantly I think this magic is entirely unrelated to collectibility. I really doubt the same can be said of the Marshall PA, but of course I may be wrong 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Beedster said:

A road trip with Pasteis de Natas, love it :) 

You lot are quite bougee down south. Come north man, we have hob nobs!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, walshy said:

You lot are quite bougee down south. Come north man, we have hob nobs!

You may be surprised to know that the delights of Portuguese pastries have even made it to the grim north, or at least as far as Yorkshire - we even have Pasteis de Natas in t'Lidl these days! 

If you're referring to this on the bass side......

image.thumb.png.55ade4979d77cfd2e6f32b5727a1ce66.png

....I've seen worse. I'm also convinced it makes a whole lot of difference in real terms as long as the neck joint is stable. As a player I find I'm more concerned with the alignment between heel and body on the treble side 👍 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

....I've seen worse. I'm also convinced it makes a whole lot of difference in real terms as long as the neck joint is stable. As a player I find I'm more concerned with the alignment between heel and body on the treble side 👍 

Plus a fairly simple and easy fix. 

• Like 2

My pre EB 1980 Stingray has a similar gap on one side but it's absolutely rock solid and won't shift from that resting position however the neck screws are loosened/removed/replaced/tightened. Not a problem. 

20241009_193724.thumb.jpg.99fe9c110fd797fb61d7a3d718448346.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

That’s the one. It’s probably the worst I’ve come across although I thought it might have been due to the seller taking the neck off. I would have thought it’d have some alignment issues being that far over. If it was slacked off and moved central, would it not have a gap the other side too?

57 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

That’s the one. It’s probably the worst I’ve come across although I thought it might have been due to the seller taking the neck off. I would have thought it’d have some alignment issues being that far over. If it was slacked off and moved central, would it not have a gap the other side too?

Who knows, we can’t see that side, might be perfect, might be worse. But either way doesn’t necessarily affect stability, playability, or tone 👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

That's no '75 - 4 bolt neck and a white pickguard so probably late '73 - early '74. I know the '76-83 S series Jazz basses always get the worst rep for quality control, but I've always noticed that the shoddiest routing/fit tends to be on mid '70s (around '73-75 basses). QC actually picked up through the late '70s and the later S series basses are quite well put together, although as we all know the weight increased a great deal which puts people off them.

I understand it's different for P basses - the early '70s seems to be one of the best eras.  

Edited by Belka

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

To be fair, they were all built to be used and rapidly repaired not fetishised over!

Indeed, I often wonder what Sr Torres would have thought had he known his neck stamp had become such an iconic piece of Fender history. 

13 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Indeed, I often wonder what Sr Torres would have thought had he known his neck stamp had become such an iconic piece of Fender history. 

Would have asked for a raise probably…

46 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I imagine his necks are on an equal number of crap Fender basses too.