Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

4 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

It's definitely a thing that I was never aware until I looked for it. Some variation of sustain is almost guaranteed on most basses, but just isn't a problem for the majority of us. However if it is, apparently if you stick a small weight (such as a coin) to the headstock it will shift or even eliminate dead spots. I think there's a company that make proper weights for that purpose. I wonder whether those headstock clip tuners have a similar effect depending on whereabouts they're placed?

You'll never guess who make them....... :)

image.thumb.png.5370eb01ef3ed2e8198432b1a4003161.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, itu said:

...because no one remembers what was the original GT Fathead. Amazon sells clamps in different sizes.

I do. I took delivery of a brand-new CS Fender back in the early 90s and it had more than one dead spot, so Fender had CS-fitted it with a gold (coloured) Fathead. It worked well with the FH fitted, but was awful if played with it removed.

On 12/10/2024 at 10:36, Reggaebass said:

Thanks Misdee, I was genuinely curious as it’s something that I’ve heard mentioned before but have never experienced myself 

We've all got our own preoccupations, and some folks get hung up on dead spots, particularly on Fender basses. (Quiet G strings on MM Stingray basses is another pit some people fall into.)

I've got plenty of neurotic obsessions of my own regarding basses, many of which have tormented me for decades, but dead spots haven't been one of them, except on my old Status Empathy. Got rid and bought a Zon. The Zon didn't have dead spots, but it did have bad karma so I sold it. And so it goes on...

• Like 1