Why become a member? ×

Home Made Harmonist... ish

stewblack

I was looking at that Fishman pedal Al put up for sale, always fancied something like that. 

I like as few people in a band as possible, but this can produce compromises when choosing a set.

The most expendable has usually been the lead guitarist. Not an anti guitar prejudice; show me a genuine rhythm guitarist and I'm a happy man. But a sloppy rhythm player who lives to play long tedious solos is not getting their hands on a share of the loot. 

So, like many before me, I've wondered if I couldn't fatten out the sound when the keys, mandolin, horn or whatever, takes the lead. 

I don't want to buy more pedals so looked at what I already have. I bunged my Joyo XVI into a loop on my Tri Parallel Mixer and turned up Octave up. Then my Digitech Ricochet set to a 5th up in its own loop and blended them just so. The main board is in series which I put after the TPM. I have to stomp two buttons simultaneously with this set up but I usually do anyway so I'm kind of turning my clumsiness to my own advantage. 

The reason this works so well is the TPM. I'm not changing the signal with one pedal then feeding that into another, which results in a rapid degradation in quality.

Both pitch shifting pedals work on the clean signal from the bass. The flexibility of having tone, and send and return levels for each individual loop is great and I still retain a master /clean blend at the end. 

For my experiment I fed the whole lot to one output, but in a live situation the 'guitar' section would have its own dedicated amp and cab (I Bi-amp anyway). 

Not that I forsee much live work with ongoing health issues forcing me to remain home. This kind of project is a great fun distraction though. 

Of course the TPM has a third loop, so if I can score another pedal with can hit a reliable and clean 5th up, I could use the Ricochet to play a 4th below. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Looking forward to hearing some sound clips from your new contraption! 

Yeah, that could happen but by the time I packed it all away I was left with a daunting box full of pedals and a spaghetti of cables. 

May take a lot if courage to do it all again! 

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

Yeah, that could happen but by the time I packed it all away I was left with a daunting box full of pedals and a spaghetti of cables. 

May take a lot if courage to do it all again! 

Awww - in which case the Fishman might be just the ticket for you? Feel free to make me an offer I can refuse - I can only say "no" 😉