Why become a member? ×

Idiot guide to recording very simple "Play Along" videos? Anyone?

fretmeister

With no gigs / rehearsals in the near future I did a couple of play along vids for the very first time just using my iPhone.

The video was ok, but the sound, while actually better than I expected, wasn't very good. the phone also picked up some physical bass and finger noise that I'd like to avoid.

What's a better way of doing it?

I'm not fussed about studio quality recordings or anything and I definitely do not want to have to sit in front of a video editor trying to sync audio and video. This is supposed to be fun, not work.

From my ill informed position it seems I could get a better mic for the room and plug that into my iphone or my laptop. That seems easy enough. The mic could be placed away from the camera that way to avoid picking up finger noise.

But is there something of a halfway house? Webcam with a plugin (I have a few) so the backing and my bass can be adjusted for levels after recording? No EQ, no sync-ing etc, just a level balance?

Any ideas?

ta

If you're using your amp for your sound I'd recommend a zoom Q2N-4K, video quality is ok but the sound is great

can be used as a webcam as well

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Zoom-Q2N-4K-Video-Recorder/art-REC0014118-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=5G_AqJarZwoAAAFl0FZyjI8V&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ej5BRBhEiwAfHyh1LeYl6olvKrAQUuthO19MfVta2Qd73-UECACwjK6LuIjvroyPt2A5RoC-hcQAvD_BwE

Edited by skidder652003

On 17/08/2020 at 16:51, fretmeister said:

Any ideas?

Plug the bass and the phone (or other device) containing the backing track into your bass amp (or mixer, etc).  Connect the output of the amp to the mic input of the laptop.  Record the video on the laptop using the webcam.